• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

D Pad February Smash Tourney

The D Pad

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone, Ryan here. I've procrastinated as usual in getting the ad up for our monthly tournament. We've got the same deal as last time, $6, 1v1, etc etc. Only difference is that this time we're splitting the night into two events, one for casual players, one for experienced. 4 TVs will be dedicated to each. When the same people win every time, the people that lose get discouraged, but I want the best of the best at our place when we have a tourney, so I decided to split it up and let everyone have a fair shot. Prizes will be smaller this time, so don't come looking for too much cash. This is all about having fun and seeing who's the best in our area. Speaking of which, I hear stories about this Caveman fella, but I've yet to see him. Someone should really get him to show. And just in case you happen to be the caveman, please drop me a line or come to the tournament. I'd like to meet you. Two more things. One, if you're reading this Wes, I'm sorry the display was difficult to move, and I hope your girlfriend? wasn't too uncomfortable. Two, I think 2nd and 3rd place got jipped a bit for the last prizes, but I don't have them written down anymore. I think it was Jordan and Robby, but let me know either way, and we'll figure it out. I refuse to let this go unrepaired, whether it's free pancakes after the tournament or free entry or a foot massage, I'll be da**ed if I'm gonna let such a terrible injustice go on at the d pad. Also, we're having a garage sale at 7 AM this saturday. Just throwing that out there. Peace!

bluezaft

The True Zaft
Just curious, what's your plan for separating experienced from casual players?

The D Pad

Smash Rookie
ok, sorry for the delay. dividing people will be pretty loose, if possible. Anyone who knows they should be in one or the other is basically able to choose that. We will have warmup matches before the tournament and up till 7:30 to decide if there are questions. The tournament is Saturday, February 10th. Yes, that's tomorrow. And a garage sale? well, we are going to sell things that you might find in any other garage sale. Only here there will obviously be more video games than others might have. Again, sorry for the late response

dcx1287

Smash Lord
Well, the reason why nobody good showed up to this dpad tournament is because of the splitting of the good players vs casual players.

There's 0 incentive for the good players to go. The only reason good players ever go to low-key tournaments is essentially to take the money of all the casual players (by winning the tournament and winning their entry).

If the good players want to enter a tournament that only includes good players, then they can do so by themselves.

Yeah, it sounds greedy but unfortunately it's the truth.

Anyways, the rule was your choice since it is your tournament, but if getting the good players to come to your tournament is a priority to you guys, know that nobody good will show up with the "splitting" rule.

On the other hand, if your goal is to simply get as many people to attend your tournament as possible, then you have to ask yourself one thing-

How many "casual" players are scared off from coming to the tournament if they know they're going to compete with people who are essentially guaranteed to win?

If that number is greater than the number of "good" players who won't attend due to the "splitting" rule, then I would probably keep the rule if I were you in order to ensure that you maximize your profit.

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
Add what Anupam said to the fact that there's no bright line between good/bad players, and even if there was a definite one it would still be pretty arbitrary...

Top Bottom