• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cypher Mechanics Revolutionizing Snake

QraQ

Smash Ace
Sooo yeah, I've been messing around with Snake a lot. In my opinion he has his ups and downs but his main problem IMO is he gets shield pressured too hard with very little counter-attack options.
Although, in the past couple weeks I've been working with his Up-B, and I just have to say that it is the single best component to Snake's kit that revolutionizes how he should be played. In short, Snake can now be a fast, combo hungry character that, prior to contrary appeal, he didn't really have.

I'll go on to explain the different situations his Up-B can handle:

1: First and foremost, it's properties resembling a shine. The electric field from it acts as an instantaneous displacement move that works much like falco's shine except for the fact that, since the electricity frames are on-going, it lift them slowly when inside of Snake and pushes enemies out from the outside. It can easily be used out of shield for instant displacement.

2: It's infinite combo potential. The easiest one for me to perform is getting inside of their body and doing Up-B cancel U-air, which automatically does 30-40% and sets them up perfect for a secondary combo. You can also do sick Up-B to platform cancel U-tilts and F-tilts for better platform positioning and rising combos.

3: Cypher. This little thing can be your best friend for setting up unusual combos. I do Up-B cancel Uairs like crazy just to send that flying hoola hoop into people's rectums. It's an extremely good high air pressure tool that sucks up attacks and leaves Snake well out of counter-attack range. Not to mention the stopping power of it is perfect for stages like Battlefield where you can consistently use it while rising up on platforms for better positioning. I use it a lot of the time to displace them in the air and force them to take a certain route down so I can follow-up. Just note that anytime you cancel his Up-B Cypher will explode and the explosion isn't an actual hitbox, it's just for aesthetics.

4: Shield pressuring. You can use Snake's Up-B in such quick succession that you can rain a volley of well-executed mid air attacks to their shield. Not to mention the electricity hits attached keep them in or bounce them out of their shield based on positioning. I do BAIR ATTACKS constantly from a mid to high air range as sort of a wall that is pretty hard for players to follow-up on.

5: Tech chase properties. This move is money when it comes to tech chasing. If you get to the other side of their tech and they're within the 0-80 %, it's another instant 30-40% along with probably a top-side death. Sometimes you don't even need to hits them with the inside of it, you can just start floating in the direction they're teching and throw a preemptive strike in that direction with Fair or Dair for shield pressure and multiple hit stun.

Overall, I've always known Snake to be a passive/decisive character who usually has to trick characters into one of his many explosive kill options. Whereas that is a viable option, I feel that it really narrows his capabilities and can be crippling to when someone knows how to play against it and the pressure is too much for Snake, Although, now I believe Snake has the option to be both tactical and extremely fast and overwhelming.

In all, I believe Snake's Up-B is his new game changer. I'll never go back to old Snake ways -.- . Hope this was enlightening to many and let me know how it works out for you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0FHYdsZVx4&feature=youtu.be

QraQ

Smash Ace
Also, I'll make sure to post videos soon enough to outline how I use Snake like I've stated.

Translucent

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I think that his Up-B is an essential part of his new game-plan. Without its new properties, he would just get shield-pressured too hard.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Look forward to seeing some of your matches, im thinking of making a video thread soon with Snake vids which demonstrate how to play the character to a good/high level from various people to give a good starting block for new people, so hopefully I will put some of your matches in there :)

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
His Up B is easily among his best moves now imo.
Starts combos, keeps combos going, relieves pressure, it feels like it does it all.
It pretty much gives you a free aerial depending on where you hit them, and how they DI. Bair, Uair, Nair, and Fair are all pretty reliable out of Up B, as is a C4 sticky.
I think Snake still has very poor approach options against a lot of the cast, but he's definitely a monster when he does get in, Up B being a big part of that. Up B OOS also makes it pretty dangerous for a lot of characters to pressure Snake, though if you have the range to space pressure out of Up B range then you can still bully him pretty easily I'm finding. Somebody like Marth who has fast, fluid movement can dance around your options, and his own options have the range to keep him safe. I'm finding characters like that to be much more troublesome than somebody like Fox who has to get into range of Up B, or dropped grenades to get in.

QraQ

Smash Ace
Look forward to seeing some of your matches, im thinking of making a video thread soon with Snake vids which demonstrate how to play the character to a good/high level from various people to give a good starting block for new people, so hopefully I will put some of your matches in there :)
Thanks man, I look forward to showing you what's up.

DiSQO_BuNNY

Smash Lord
NNID
DisqoBunny
Does anyone know the frame data on Snake's upB, by any chance? Especially the one the ground, for OoS applications. Does the move have any invincibility?
I don't think it has invincibility, but on startup it has a rather large hitox and high priority, grounded of course.

JTsm

Smash Master
I love your Snake's movement. So fast and smooth. All the UpB's xD

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Well here's what everyone was waiting for hopefully =].
My snake was somewhat raw here but you'll get the jist of the power and uses of cypher lol.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0FHYdsZVx4&feature=youtu.beBe sure to like it if you do =D
You should post this in the Snake video thread since there isn't much vids

Also I forgot about this thread lol, you posted it like 5 months ago saying you were gonna get vids lol, either way it was pretty fun to watch. :)
A bit too Up B manic lol, but it was still fun.

Top Bottom