• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cyclone Approaching

Boomer3d

Smash Journeyman
Ok so in pm Luigi's tornado got a buff and not only is it a lot easier to recover with it but it is now also better at approaching and starting combos. However, I'm not seeing it used to approach enough and when people do approach it is usually just straightforward and punishable.

One thing that I started doing is tapping b a couple of times right when I get to my opponent and they are shielding. This way I will float in the air a little bit. This is favorable because luigi has more end lag while on the ground then in the air. So as soon as it is done you can throw out and aerial (nair especially because it shield pokes very easily) or waveland away from your opponent.

Comments?

MrDoubleT

Smash Rookie
That seems extremely useful. Plus his Cyclone cancels many projectiles, so it can also be useful in that sense also.

Hyper Crasher

Smash Apprentice
I use it mainly as a mixup, it can help but overusing it can lead to getting punished

Broasty

Smash Journeyman
I find it good to throw out the Cyclone as an approach every once and a while when I'm really far away and the opponent JUST escaped pressure. The other great thing is when your opponent forgets your capabilities, fly (spam dat B) your way up and start an aerial combo while they're still falling down. I would be no means call it a bread and butter approach though cause of how easy it is to be punished...

Last edited:

Boomer3d

Smash Journeyman
if you do flutter up a little bit if you hit their shield it makes it really safe. However you do need to watch out for characters with sstrong fsmashes. If that is the case I then try to mind game my opponent by going away and then changing directions into them. It seems to psych out my opponent a lot. I want to make a combo/technique video so I can show what I mean easier

Boomer3d

Smash Journeyman
yeah honestly the only thing that is stopping me is I need someone to play the beat-up target but I have a basic outline already.
Wavedashing fireballs,
General fireball techniques,
General cyclone techniques.

Anything else I should try to cover?

Boomer3d

Smash Journeyman
Also, one of the harder things for me is doing cyclone without fast falling. I've been practicing that a lot today and here are some tips for anyone else who runs into this problem sometimes:

1. If you are going to do a missile then cyclone, the best way I have found it to hold down after you release the cyclone, this way you are holding down on the control stick and you aren't fast falling. Simply mash B afterwords. To practice this, missile of stage(can be a misfire) and hold down during it. Then cyclone and make your way back to the stage.

2. In general I have gotten the best success by holding down diagonally. Not only do you generally be wanting to go in this direction but it is also harder to get a fast fall out of this. To practice this missile off-stage, jump, and then put the control stick down and towards the stage. Mash and, if you did it correctly, you should be able to simply up-B back onto the stage.

If anyone else has run into the problem of fastfalling cyclone I highly recommend trying this. Also any comments or suggestions are welcome!

Broasty

Smash Journeyman
yeah honestly the only thing that is stopping me is I need someone to play the beat-up target but I have a basic outline already.
Wavedashing fireballs,

Spiking with Dair.
There's a lot of things I'd also mention, but it'd be best if I just make a video for it myself lol. So many things I've come across that I'd love to see others doing.

Riceykins

Smash Rookie
Just as an extra added onto this thread you can waveland from grounded cyclone with only one b press if you do it just as luigi's about to do his second hit. Gives you the air ending timing and lets you keep the ground speed for the longest amount of time.

Last edited:

OnFullTilt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gregolus
Wavedashing fireballs,

Maybe up b oos, storing/using misfires, recovery tricks/mixups, sh into either double aerial or aerial+waveland, edge canceled up b/side b, vududashing, Bair edge guarding (showing that you can quickly WD to the ledge and the Bair while invincible), ledge hogging (as Luigi does it weirdly), and some basic approaches and combos.

Top Bottom