• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cute alternative to the regular down smash combo.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Sorry if this is old, but I may as well post it here.

Ok, so since I'm very fanatical about footstool jumps, I've been testing with various characters to see if this fun technique can be used in reliable combos. ZSS has proven surprisingly adept.

A common ZSS combo I see is down smash to Fsmash, or down smash to forward B at higher %.

However, you can actually do two down smashes in quick succession, followed by a footstool jump and then a Dair.

Because of the weird way her down smash effects the target, the footstool jump will always cause them to go crashing onto the ground, even if the stun hasn't worn off. At 0%, you can get two downsmashes in and then footstool off their head before they come out of the hitstun (but are just flying up out of the stun gun stun).

If you fall on solid ground after being footstooled before the immobility has worn off, you can't tech out of it, meaning that both hits of ZSS's Dair will land easy as pie.

So the combo goes: Downsmash + Downsmash + double jump quickly to footstool opponent at ground level + Dair.

Or at higher %, you can just replace the footstool jump for a side B to get a KO move. Or even a third down smash if you just want to build damage. (which can follow into a footstool jump, lol.)

Sorry I don't have any vids.

Ares And Enyo

Smash Apprentice
interesting but I'm particularly more interested in a down smash off the edge in a edguarding sense to toadstool or down b spike .... but nice thoughts - will try out when I find my wii power cable

Snakeee

Smash Master
Sorry, but I don't see why you would ever do this. Double d-smash to f smash or grab is infinitely better. Keep thinking of other possible d smash combos though.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Sorry, but I don't see why you would ever do this. Double d-smash to f smash or grab is infinitely better. Keep thinking of other possible d smash combos though.
Because at lower %, you don't have time to hit with Fsmash or grab before the stun wears off, and even if you do, they can often jump out of it or air dodge.

It's safer and deals slightly more damage.

If you ommit the Dair, you can also use it for tech chasing somewhat.

Snakeee

Smash Master
There's no way it does more damage, but if it works at low percentages like you say, then I guess it could possibly be worth it. Didn't mean to put you down or anything, I just didn't think it was useful, and you should have said that it works at low percents in the first post. I really don't see how it could work at low percents though. How can you have the time to jump up and footstool then? Another drawback is that you had to have d smashed the opponent at very close range. I'll check it out though

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
There's no way it does more damage, but if it works at low percentages like you say, then I guess it could possibly be worth it. Didn't mean to put you down or anything, I just didn't think it was useful, and you should have said that it works at low percents in the first post. I really don't see how it could work at low percents though. How can you have the time to jump up and footstool then? Another drawback is that you had to have d smashed the opponent at very close range. I'll check it out though
You know that you can footstool jump somebody from ground level right? You don't need to jump up all the way at all, you just double jump very quickly next to your opponent to do a FSJ immediately.

By the time the second down smash has stopped, your opponent "pops" up into the air. During the time that they're in hitstun, ZSS has time to footstool jump them, but not enough time to do an Fsmash.

And yes, it does more damage, because Dair hits for slightly more than Fsmash. It's a 1-point difference, but it's still there.

Top Bottom