• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Customs After Evo. Should They Be In, Or Out?

After watching Evo, do you like the option for customs?

• Total voters

Re4gNarsil

Smash Cadet
Hey everyone, now that EVO has come and gone (and boy was it incredible to watch! Almost 100000 viewers for the Grand Finals!) and with so many people wondering what the future of Smash will be in terms of customs, I thought it may be a good idea for everyone to take a fresh look at this unique addition to Smash 4 and what they offer or subtract from the game and the way it’s viewed by the community. I’ll come right out and say I am pro-customs for the most part, but there are many good arguments for and against customs that should be looked at and considered before deciding whether or not to allow/ban customs from tournaments. Let’s look at several of these as unbiasedly as possible and hopefully leave with a fresh perspective. I am not helping to determine the future of customs in any way, so feel free to leave any opinions below so long as they’re as respectful as possible.

Starting with the most common arguments I am aware of, many people say they hate customs when they see a KO take place that was only possible due to a custom move that either turned into an easy kill setup or was the finishing blow itself; while I agree some customs like Pikachu’s Heavy Skull Bash can kill really early (40 – 60 %) in some circumstances, I can also tell most of these kill options are very difficult to execute and have the smallest of margins for error, and if you miss them you’re often left wide open to a punish or have to at least accept a less than optimal ending for your efforts. Not only that, there are plenty of default moves like ZSS’ Booster Kick that if used properly can kill almost as early. Just look at Nairo, who kicks his opponents high up into the air at 40, lands a couple of u-airs, and finishes them off while there is almost nothing they can do about it. Are we then complaining about insane kill options, or just insane kill options we don’t like?

These next two arguments can be used to support either side really, depending on how you want to view them. Many people who enjoy customs say they balance the game more so than it is by default, and far more characters have an opportunity to compete with already viable characters if given access to movesets that aid them in particular matchups or just improve them in an area they typically struggle in. Ganondorf is a great example, who lacks recovery until equipped with his Wizard’s Dropkick which gives him better horizontal reach at the cost of its kill power. Palutena’s Super Speed is another case of improvement, where she gains a great approach option that can lead into smash attacks, aerials, or even a grab.

But some professionals, like ZeRo, argue that fighters who are already top-tier like Pikachu and Sheik shouldn’t have access to customs that can make them even scarier, and to be sure a really good Sheik using Gravity Grenade becomes an even greater threat; that being said, if Ganondorfs customs allow him to jump from say a 6 out of 10 to 8 out of 10 while Sheik rises from 9 to 9.5, isn’t it worth it? The disparity between the characters diminishes, even if not by a lot; any reduction should be seen as a gain. That being said, let me be quick to add some fighters, like Sonic, will just become all the more annoying to fight against when armed with customs, which can certainly be aggravating.

And even though I wish it was otherwise, those who are for customs have to accept the fact that they really don’t make many more characters viable than default. I have watched several tournaments over the last few months, and it’s not common for a Donkey Kong, Ganondorf, Palutena, or any other less than high tier character to win the event even with customs. This could be an argument that customs should be left in if they are clearly not all that broken, or an argument to leave them out since those who really want to win will go with fighters like Sheik, Sonic, or Rosalina anyway.

How do the Japanese view this variable the game has introduced? From what I’ve heard, most of Japan more or less despises customs, stating that turning to customs shows a lack of skill. How you ask? Because players are trying to find an out to a bad matchup or weakness, rather than adapt and optimize the strengths of your character. Not only that, most players will simply abuse one or two really good moves they have, instead of learning how and when to use every attack at your disposal. Now this is an interesting viewpoint, and I must say there is logic in it. While I believe those who are the best will still learn the ins and outs of their mains with or without customs, I have seen some matches won by characters who spam Kong Cyclone against an opponent who doesn’t know how to deal with it. Pros will learn to get around this especially crazy custom, but most everyone else falls prey to it over and over again.

And that brings us to perhaps the greatest argument against customs. The way the world views them. If the majority of people who played Smash liked customs perhaps they would be good for the community, but when around half of people in America (and perhaps Europe) are for them and most of everyone else is against them, is it really a good thing to support something that will likely become divisive down the road? Not just internationally, but here in the US as well?

Many want to try and reach some sort of compromise, like banning particular customs or having a limit to how many default moves can be exchanged with customs during any particular battle; the problem with compromise is trying to find a solution that pleases most everyone, which is almost impossible to do. For better or worse most people complain when something is done that is less than ideal with them in particular, rather than looking at how good it is for everyone. No, I agree with Nairo when he says all customs should be allowed or all should be banned, for simplicities sake.

So, are you for customs, or against them? Do you like sticking with the original rules to Smash Bros (especially in light of the fact that the DLC characters do not have custom movesets), since they are tried and true and have gathered many loyal fans, or do you want to see Smash 4 evolve in such a way as it never has had the chance to before, and may continue to do so in future Smash games? Myself, I like the freshness customs allows, since it’ll keep things more interesting for long; I’d love to see Mr. Sakurai’s team balance the custom moves in addition to the default moves so more people could enjoy them, but I can see how that’d be a lot of work and it’s already difficult to properly balance even the default characters.

Like I said, I am not personally trying to save or ban customs, I just want to give everyone a good look at several aspects to take into consideration. I have included a poll just because I'm curious what people will vote/say after reading this, but the ones doing the most research and data collecting is probably OneSmash.

Perhaps we could have default and customs on a rotational basis, where half of large (and probably small) tournaments like Apex are standard, while the other half like Evo allow customs? Trying this for another year or two would be the best of both worlds in my humble opinion, and would certainly allow us to see how customs really affect the game. Sadly, in conclusion I have to say I suspect customs are going to fade from the competitive scene, but I’d love to see them remain at least sometimes; either way, this game seems to be shaping up to be a great game in terms of diversity in viable characters. Thanks for reading this – as long as it was lol – and happy smashing!

Noxuz

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1418-7359-4514
The funny thing about customs being allowed is that anyone who had custom moves were doing nothing but spamming said custom moves.

Kati

Smash Lord
Is banning certain customs simply out of the question? does Smush have a backroom to decide on such specifics?

Ninj4pikachu

Smash Journeyman
Everyone is so scared of customs being broken or jank, even though we just had a tourney with customs and all our fears were abolished... Example: There wasn't even a donkey kong in the top 30. How is his up B broken?

"Legal until proven broken"
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I feel like smash wiiU has lost touch with this concept. I remember when everyone was crying for the ban hammer on lil Mac because of his KO punch and superior frame data. Boy did we have it backwards lol... You see, I don't think we can say for sure whether something is broken until it is put to competitive test (tournaments) and it comes out on top. Mac is considered trash now by most people because when we see one most people know how to play around his strengths. EVO allowed customs and we didn't see anything broken, therefore if you follow the "legal until proven broken" logic, then you must assert that SO FAR we don't have evidence to convict the customs of being broken.

So far we haven't been given a reason not to embrace customs. "THATS TO MUCH MATCHUP RESEARCH I HAVE TO DO." So if the next smash has 100 character we should ban half of them for matchup simplicity? "THE META WILL BE TO DYNAMIC." Do you think melee players give two ****s that only and handful of their characters can put a dent in fox? "CUSTOMS ARENT BEING PATCHED." this is slightly untrue, but do you think the brawl or melee players cared that their games didn't get patched? Some characters got the short end of the default move stick, it happens.

We need to stop crying for rules and patches to make things fair and just play the f***ing game. Somone finds a good strategy? Find a way around it! We have become lazy as a community and act like we need to be spoon fed.

This shouldn't be a subjective debate, it should be is "X" broken? Let's test it... Well the competitive test proved that "X" was beatable by using "Y." Will every character have access to "Y"? No, but we didn't base fox's viability by what Y's pichu had.

Let's stop trying to fix problems before we even know if they are problems guys. Customs could be what make sm4sh as memorable as melee.

NerdThomas3

Smash Cadet
NNID
ThomasLee1993
3DS FC
1865-1735-0762
Just legalize them already! Christ... Yeah they change up your play style with characters, but it changes up the game, too.

D

Deleted member 269706

Customs can totally turn around certain match-ups, make seemingly irrelevant moves good again, and alter the metagame completely. I'm all for them. If there is a strategy that seem to be broken, simply ban that custom move and call it good.

Ninj4pikachu

Smash Journeyman
Customs can totally turn around certain match-ups, make seemingly irrelevant moves good again, and alter the metagame completely. I'm all for them. If there is a strategy that seem to be broken, simply ban that custom move and call it good.
Your right!... But We can't ban specific custom moves, that only complicates the rule sets and causes more debate on what's fair, but we shouldn't need to!!! EVO pretty much proved that so far NOTHING is broken.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Are there really any truly broken custom moves? I don't think so. Every custom move has a weakness. Well, except for Kong Cyclone, but that's been talked about already.
I'm 100% for customs. They make the game much more dynamic and keeps it fresh. So far, the people I've heard complain about them are either scrubs who can't deal with certain moves and therefore want to get rid of all of them, or people who are just afraid of change. If one of the biggest Smash organizations can function with them on, then there's no reason why they can't work elsewhere.
Besides, if people hate them that much, there's an option not to use them, and not take them away from people who like them.

Last edited:

telite2

Smash Rookie
Honestly, I can see both sides on this one. I don't know very much about the custom moves at all, I've mostly played "For Glory online. I was skeptical when I saw that they were legal in EVO this year, but it was really fun seeing people use these moves in unique ways. In a way it kind of reminded me of how in MKX each character has different stances with unique moves that can really change the way a character is played. I know that's not completely comparable, but it's just what it reminded me of.

On the other hand I distinctly remember watching a match where someone was playing a custom Villager, and it was frustrating to watch. I could only imagine how much more frustrating it would have been to play against that.

In the end though I don't think it really ruined the tournament, and I think I'm for it. If people want to abuse a custom move I expect the good players to recognize that and punish them for it.

D

Deleted member 269706

Your right!... But We can't ban specific custom moves, that only complicates the rule sets and causes more debate on what's fair, but we shouldn't need to!!! EVO pretty much proved that so far NOTHING is broken.
We can ban certain custom moves if we have to...characters have been banned in past tournaments and so have certain techniques (wobbling, scrooging, etc.), and even character pairings in doubles. Banning custom move wouldn't be any different. It's also hard to say for sure that NOTHING is broken...we've only had one major tourney where customs have been legal. Who knows, maybe there's some low tier player waiting to just annihilate everyone with some unheard of exploit. Either way, customs should be legal because any problems that do come up can be EASILY fixed.

Ninj4pikachu

Smash Journeyman
We can ban certain custom moves if we have to...characters have been banned in past tournaments and so have certain techniques (wobbling, scrooging, etc.), and even character pairings in doubles. Banning custom move wouldn't be any different. It's also hard to say for sure that NOTHING is broken...we've only had one major tourney where customs have been legal. Who knows, maybe there's some low tier player waiting to just annihilate everyone with some unheard of exploit. Either way, customs should be legal because any problems that do come up can be EASILY fixed.
That's why I said "so far".

Either way if we do decide to ban some custom moves we need to be conservative with the ban hammer. People are lazy, and would rather just ban something rather than find a way around it.

febLey

Smash Cadet
NNID
febLey
Is was skeptical about them before Evo, but after it I think it wasn't bad with them.

My main concern is the effort to get all the customs onto the consoles. It's much work for the tournament organizers. I'm still wondering how they managed to do this for EVO.

Last edited:

Ninj4pikachu

Smash Journeyman
Is was skeptical about them before Evo, but after it I think it wasn't bad with them.

My main concern is the effort to get all the customs onto the consoles. It's much work for the tournament organizers. I'm still wondering how they managed to do this for EVO.
You know as much as I want customs, I have no clue how to accomplish this... Anyone know how they got all the setups for EVO?

D

Deleted member 269706

That's why I said "so far".

Either way if we do decide to ban some custom moves we need to be conservative with the ban hammer. People are lazy, and would rather just ban something rather than find a way around it.
Absolutely agreed. I feel like unless said technique works flawlessly against over 50% of the cast, we shouldn't even consider a ban.

Re4gNarsil

Smash Cadet
Everyone is so scared of customs being broken or jank, even though we just had a tourney with customs and all our fears were abolished... Example: There wasn't even a donkey kong in the top 30. How is his up B broken?

"Legal until proven broken"
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I feel like smash wiiU has lost touch with this concept. I remember when everyone was crying for the ban hammer on lil Mac because of his KO punch and superior frame data. Boy did we have it backwards lol... You see, I don't think we can say for sure whether something is broken until it is put to competitive test (tournaments) and it comes out on top. Mac is considered trash now by most people because when we see one most people know how to play around his strengths. EVO allowed customs and we didn't see anything broken, therefore if you follow the "legal until proven broken" logic, then you must assert that SO FAR we don't have evidence to convict the customs of being broken.

So far we haven't been given a reason not to embrace customs. "THATS TO MUCH MATCHUP RESEARCH I HAVE TO DO." So if the next smash has 100 character we should ban half of them for matchup simplicity? "THE META WILL BE TO DYNAMIC." Do you think melee players give two ****s that only and handful of their characters can put a dent in fox? "CUSTOMS ARENT BEING PATCHED." this is slightly untrue, but do you think the brawl or melee players cared that their games didn't get patched? Some characters got the short end of the default move stick, it happens.

We need to stop crying for rules and patches to make things fair and just play the f***ing game. Somone finds a good strategy? Find a way around it! We have become lazy as a community and act like we need to be spoon fed.

This shouldn't be a subjective debate, it should be is "X" broken? Let's test it... Well the competitive test proved that "X" was beatable by using "Y." Will every character have access to "Y"? No, but we didn't base fox's viability by what Y's pichu had.

Let's stop trying to fix problems before we even know if they are problems guys. Customs could be what make sm4sh as memorable as melee.
I feel you raise valid points: every custom move that I'm aware of has a way to be countered, as long as you have the skill and patience to adapt to them. While I was initially opposed to customs when I heard of them last year, I have since come to believe they are a great way to make Smash 4 distinct from its predecessors.

the.tok

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2767-0503-3415
You know as much as I want customs, I have no clue how to accomplish this... Anyone know how they got all the setups for EVO?
I heard that they used the "transfer from 3DS" option.
Meaning you have a 3DS with 10 pre-set custom layouts for each character, and you upload them all at once on each Wii U.

Whole process is about 15 minutes per Wii U, though setting up the 3DS the first time is obviously much longer.

Ninj4pikachu

Smash Journeyman
I heard that they used the "transfer from 3DS" option.
Meaning you have a 3DS with 10 pre-set custom layouts for each character, and you upload them all at once on each Wii U.

Whole process is about 15 minutes per Wii U, though setting up the 3DS the first time is obviously much longer.
As long as we still have power saves to hack our 3DS's that didn't sound too bad.

What would be helpful is if sakuri would release an "unlock all customs" DLC for like $5.... Id pay it, and it would probably require little to know development time seeing as how it just unlocks what's already created...

the.tok

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2767-0503-3415
As long as we still have power saves to hack our 3DS's that didn't sound too bad.

What would be helpful is if sakuri would release an "unlock all customs" DLC for like $5.... Id pay it, and it would probably require little to know development time seeing as how it just unlocks what's already created...
It isn't even really needed IMO.

The game is still relatively new, and I think think that within a year, a lot of people will have fully unlocked customs on their 3DS. In a medium scale tournament, there is a great chance that one fully unlocked 3DS will be available among the participants / organizers / friends. And remember, this is once per Wii U so not that bad. For all future EVOs, that is already a non-issue.

If customs become standard, we can very quickly "spread the love" so every tournament wii U will be set.

blackghost

Smash Champion
They should stay there is no evidence at all that suggests they are bad for the game.
And for the record villager and sonic with thier "toxic" gameplay: sonic does runaway side b nonsnese in default or customs doesn't matter. and villager is completly csbalbe of stalling on the ledge in default as well just not as easy to execute. but once you play a stall custom villager a few times it really isn't that hard a few characters its horrible for village rto even try that.

Ninj4pikachu

Smash Journeyman
They should stay there is no evidence at all that suggests they are bad for the game.
And for the record villager and sonic with thier "toxic" gameplay: sonic does runaway side b nonsnese in default or customs doesn't matter. and villager is completly csbalbe of stalling on the ledge in default as well just not as easy to execute. but once you play a stall custom villager a few times it really isn't that hard a few characters its horrible for village rto even try that.
You're right, but most people find it easier to ban their custom moves then adapt to them. It's pure laziness at its best. EVO proved that it's possible to have a fair tournament of a large scale with customs. As far as unlocking them or getting them moved up from the 3DS is concerned, if EVO can do it than I see no reason why any smaller tournament couldn't as well seeing as how it will be easier for smaller tournament anyways.

Mr Melo Yellow

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0748-2813-7966
There are few things I dislike about the smash competitive scene, but community reaction to customs is definitely the thing I despise the most. The likes of Seagull and co. with their knee-jerk reactions to any strategy or move that changes the way matches are played will be the death of most of the roster. Look at AeroLink now and the sad situation he's in. TOs have made his main all but banned and he now is stuck with bottom tier default Palutena. With the possible exception of heavy skullbash, there are no truly "jank" customs out there. All have their own workarounds. Villager's exploding balloon planking and DK's cyclone have been proven plenty of times to have ways of countering them. Yes, they may be annoying, but a lot of things in this game are annoying. Getting faired to death from virtually anything from a sheik and getting timed out by a sonic that just runs away from you when he gets a lead are incredibly irritating, yet we don't consider banning them.

This lazy and conservative attitude isn't doing this game any favours

Ninj4pikachu

Smash Journeyman
Ya everyone is ban happy at smashboards. They loooooove banning things. Heck look at wuhu island, it was banned because of a glitch and now that the glitch is fixed but it's not unbanned.

_gold_

Smash Master
I never liked the concept of customs in competitive tourneys. This game is fairly balanced across the board, generally speaking, and I think customs just downgrade that and become a bit too random for me.

So yeah, I prefer the vanilla movesets.

Top Bottom