• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Customizing stages/different versions of stages?

CalumG

Smash Lord
The sharp-eyed Smash fans among us (i.e. most people on this forum) will have noticed something a little unusual about the content we've seen so far - namely, the fact that we've seen two different versions of Battlefield so far, one with platforms and one without. Observe:

Big deal, right? Sakurai probably just wanted to show off the characters on a flat stage and this games version of Final Destination may not be far along enough in development to show off yet. That could be the end of that - mystery solved. After all, it's not the first time something like this has happened; in Smash 64 there were numerous versions of Dreamland, some with Wispy Woods in the background, some without, platforms in different locations, etc etc. - you know the story. The platformless version of Battlefield was shown off in both the Developer Direct, and for a few seconds in the initial trailer whilst focusing on the Villager (blink and you'll miss it). But then something else struck me. Check out the Animal Crossing 'stages':

To some that may look like two stages. But something's up with that, because the floating platforms look identical (although there are more in one than the other), as does the front half of the main platform, right down to the spots, the leaves and the parts where the branches stick out. So they could be two different stages, but to accept that would be to call the dev team incredibly lazy in the assets they re-use. Therefore, we're presented with a few more optimistic possibilities: that the Animal Crossing stage has Castle Siege-esque transformations, that the stage has a Mushroomy Kingdom style of being able to choose between multiple versions of the stage (different enough to warrant a switch but not different enough to be considered different stages), or that there's some way for the player to change different variables about the stage they're playing on.

It'd make sense, given that we've seen different 'versions' of both of these stages. A lot of people have complained that the stages they've seen so far seem a little... bland for Smash stages, given the kind of things we saw in Brawl. But what if how bland/hectic a stage is depends on some kind of player input or customization? I'm not saying we'd be able to straight-up make our own stages out of existing stages, but what about some kind of option to choose which drop-through platforms can be turned on/off? Or even the ability to toggle stage hazards, so that we can have the levels be as fair or as unfair as we choose? I mean, if you take Brawl as an example, there were plenty of stages I liked visually, but disliked due to the gimmicks. Pirate Ship and Mario Bros. in particular strike me as stages that I'd have otherwise liked to play on if it weren't for the fact that half of the time I was getting attacked by the stage itself rather than the other players.

Plus it'd provide ample explanation for why many of the stages shown so far look a bit... 'cookie cutter', so to speak, since many of the elements of the stages would have to be modular enough to be easily added, removed, or turned on/off.

This is probably just me overthinking things, but thoughts on the matter?

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
As many have noted in similar threads, it's most likely that Sakurai removed the platforms when recording demonstration footage in order to minimize clutter.

There are a lot of instances from the past where stages were presented in modified form for demonstration purposes.

Though the notion of being able to customize the official stages is at least interesting. However, I feel that the implication of that involves making the stage selection process much more complicated, or much more annoying, as the same stage on different systems might be radically different. And from a design standpoint, the fewer barriers between bootup and play, the better.

CalumG

Smash Lord
As many have noted in similar threads, it's most likely that Sakurai removed the platforms when recording demonstration footage in order to minimize clutter.

There are a lot of instances from the past where stages were presented in modified form for demonstration purposes.

Though the notion of being able to customize the official stages is at least interesting. However, I feel that the implication of that involves making the stage selection process much more complicated, or much more annoying, as the same stage on different systems might be radically different. And from a design standpoint, the fewer barriers between bootup and play, the better.
Of course - I wouldn't have made this thread based on the Battlefield anomaly alone. It was when I noticed peculiarities of the Animal Crossing stage that I started pondering over whether or not it was just a choice made by Sakurai or whether it was actually a gameplay feature. Full customization may be a bit farfetched of course, but how about every stage having two 'versions' a la Mushroomy Kingdom? For some it'd be simple scenery changes like with the AC stage, for some they'd be slightly different layout-wise, and for some it'd be the difference between a 'basic' and 'complete' version of the stage (like with Battlefield), with stage gimmicks being reduced significantly in the 'basic' version. Enough choice for the player, without having too many barriers to play. Sakurai does, after all, love finding a balance between making things as simple as possible whilst giving the player a whole lot of choice in the matter.

Top Bottom