• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Custom Moves & What This Means For Us

WritersBlah

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WritersBlah999
So, before I begin this thread, I'd like to point out that this situation I'm about to dive into also applies to the Mii Fighters, but seeing as Palutena is a more "traditional" character, I figured it was a bit more important to discuss the topic surrounding her in particular.

So, we've known since the April Direct that custom moves is going to be a thing in Smash 4. As we saw in the Direct, most of them look really freakin' broken. As such, we presumably shrugged off the idea in regards to the competitive scene. We'll only allow the default moveset for characters at formal tournaments. It seemed really simple at the time.

However, considering the information we got on the Mii Fighters and Palutena this E3, it looks like the custom move sets won't just be variants of the original specials; they can be full-on different moves. As such, I must ask…what does this mean for Palutena and the Mii Fighters in tournaments?

I mean, I don't think it'd be fair to outright ban them for this gimmick. They don't seem like they'd be Meta Knight-tier or anything close to that. But number one, how will they be handled at tournaments? Will players who choose to use them be allowed to set their moves up before the match? Will they be allowed to change moves in-between sets? Between games?

And number two, how are we even going to deal with placing these characters on the tier list? It's obvious some specials will better compliment each other, but will there be such a thing as a set of specials that'll be banned from being chosen together? Will we use their best, in-between, or worst special move variations to determine their tier list placement? I'm just really dreading how the community gonna handle this ginormous curveball.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
IMO, miis shouldn't belong in the competitive seen at all.
Imagine APEX Finals with two miis fighting for gold and honour -- you'd be asking youself 'what game is this again?' They're a disgrace and they look like ****.
Yes, I'm a hater.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Like I've said before, I'll be fine with her defaults as long as it doesn't have Counter. Ugh.

However, I think serious consideration will and should be given to how different custom moves affect the viability of all characters, Palutena and Miis included.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
We don't have any freaking clue. None of us do.

We've seen more of the feature, but not enough. It's likely that no reasonable, informed opinion will be able to be formed until the game is released.

Maybe custom moves are of no concern and no one will seriously use them. Maybe they will be an integral part of the metagame.

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I'm pretty sure most of the abilities we saw are standard attacks, especially Celestial Firework and Autoreticle.

D

Deleted member

IMO, miis shouldn't belong in the competitive seen at all.
Imagine APEX Finals with two miis fighting for gold and honour -- you'd be asking youself 'what game is this again?' They're a disgrace and they look like ****.
Yes, I'm a hater.
But a grand finals with Bill Cosby vs. Nicolas Cage would be the hypest thing ever!

As for the question at hand, just wait until the game comes out. It's not like there will be any tournaments day one so we have to decide viability and stuff right now.

Top Bottom