• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Custom moves in general were a wasted opportunity

Quillion

Smash Hero
I would have loved it the concept a lot more if they would make every character like :4palutena: and the :4mii:s, or at least give each character at least ONE unique custom move.

If they just took the latter route, things would have been so different. We would actually have :4drmario: as an alternate costume instead of being his own character because Mario already has a tornado option. :4link: and :4tlink: could actually use certain tools that they haven't before, like the pegasus boots, roc's feather, the magic rods... We could get a :4wario: that uses moves from Wario Land instead of completely made-up moves.

I really don't understand why they put so little effort into making custom moves for most characters when they gave ONE non-Mii character wildly different customs.

darkchip1

Smash Rookie
NNID
darkchip1
To be fair, Dr Mario has other things that make him different. Particularly, he's just a less mobile, but harder hitting Mario.

I think custom moves and Miis were wasted because they're banned in online play. I'm not sure what the reason for this even was. Custom moves are allowed in the Nintendo tournaments, they're encouraged in 3rd party tournaments, and they generally give characters utility they need ie Mario's fast fireball.
They're a very useful feature, but they're banned from the game itself. That's how they were wasted imo.

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
Do we know if Apex is allowing them? I'm very familiar with the game at this point in its Vanilla state, but I have little to no custom move experience for entry competitive level gameplay. Just want to know if it should be a real focus, it seems like the community is for them in general though so I should prob just catch up in that respect.

Spirst

Do we know if Apex is allowing them? I'm very familiar with the game at this point in its Vanilla state, but I have little to no custom move experience for entry competitive level gameplay. Just want to know if it should be a real focus, it seems like the community is for them in general though so I should prob just catch up in that respect.
I've yet to hear on whether Apex is allowing it. I don't have much custom move experience either but have been catching up recently and I do feel it adds an interesting "counterpick" element to the game in that certain unfavorable matchups can be somewhat rectified. I think it should be given an initial chance and see where it goes from there.

Last edited:

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
*With Anyone

It's not like With Anyone = entire online service.
There are some people whose first exposure to "competitive" smash bros is through 1v1 For Glory. It's already painting an inaccurate picture, in that I've played people who more often than not will pick just omega stages, and it also creates the idea of nobody wanting to play with custom moves.

It's a little frustrating because I think they add a lot to the game and I wish more people would at least give them a chance.

Making every custom move in the game unique just isn't practical at all. They're just a way of making characters suite your fighting style better, or give them better options in certain situations.

Saint Johns

Smash Apprentice
NNID
HyperSlash
If every character had 12 unique special moves, then why not just make more characters from those movesets?

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
I've yet to hear on whether Apex is allowing it. I don't have much custom move experience either but have been catching up recently and I do feel it adds an interesting "counterpick" element to the game in that certain unfavorable matchups can be somewhat rectified. I think it should be given an initial chance and see where it goes from there.
Agreed, well I better get back to grinding some of them... I haven't done any single player play in ages it feels like... But I'd rather do it on the Wii U :/ I want to complete the game 100% on the console version, but I don't want to stale the single player experience too much before I even get it. I don't feel the need for full completion on both. I'll probably just get a few more now for testing and look some of the others up.

I really hope they implemented customs for the online tournaments as an option. Then I can see myself getting way more comfortable with them at a faster pace. For Glory may not be the hardest challenges every time you find someone, but at least it's just non stop experience.

Raijinken

Smash Master
For Link and Tink, they could have just decloned Tink's specials instead of leaving him the exact same as he has been.

While I like the idea of more versatility in move function, I actually prefer tweaking the moves to certain traits, instead of having to pick between totally distinct moves.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
My issue with the custom moves is theyre not very evenly distributed.

Some characters like DK/Wario really didnt get jack, as they turn normally widely useful moves into very rarely specialized moves (if you actually land a precision ground pound, props man you deserve that win). Others are a full blown buff and make no sense to not use, such as Megaman's skull shield that reflects projectiles.

So many of them are just number tweakings, but then theres a few bogeys that are just crazy good. Also ones that are just facepalm bad but nvm about those lol

S2

Smash Lord
The only issue with customs moves is that they need to be unlocked and they aren't available online.

Palutena is sort of a special case because she was made to show them off. With practically 50 characters, it would be way too much dev time taken up making them. The current custom moves are essentially just altered properties of the base move, which is totally fine. It allows you to tweak characters a little bit here and there with most coming with distinct pros/cons.

As for Apex, I really do hope they use them. It would be super disappointing if they were banned for any reason other than not having enough setups with them unlocked yet.

Quillion

Smash Hero
With practically 50 characters, it would be way too much dev time taken up making them.
Which is why they kept :4drmario:, :4falco:, and :4tlink: around (and still denying :4ganondorf: his own moveset), despite that their specials could've easily been customs for their "templates".

I mean, they removed :lucas: on the grounds that they gave :4ness: all of his special variants, right down to PK Freeze.

Yeah, the annoying part is unlocking them all.
They could easily fix it by not giving you potential duplicates of the custom, especially when duplicate customs don't even do anything at all.

Elixir Soup

Smash Cadet
NNID
Stickkid12
3DS FC
5069-4931-8546
Yeah, Palutena and Mega Man have the coolest custom moves. There was so much potential just wasted.

PokemonyeWest

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4770-2872
A lot of the custom moves have some good uses but I agree that as a whole: 1. it takes far too long to unlock all of them. I've had the game a month and only have the complete set of customs for Captain Falcon, Donkey Kong, and Marth, and 2. the only way to use them online is when playing with friends, which isn't so bad but my friends don't play this game online as much as I do so I rarely get a chance to use them.

Top Bottom