• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Custom move speculations for the Beautiful Rosalina and cute Luma

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
What custom moves do you want to see? Discuss everything to do with it here.

Super Writer

Smash Apprentice
Type 3 Luma Shot, in case you are losing, Rosalina calls in an army of lumas to restart the universe with another big bang. Then she turns giant and says some stuff and magically everyone becomes friends and throws a party. Yeeaaaaaahhhh...

But more seriously, I would say the Luma Shot variants would probably be:
  1. Something that's angled or curved
  2. Lacks great knockback but doesn't stop when it hits, like Lucas's PK Thunder
As for Star Bits:
  1. Long Range
  2. Shoots out one strong, slow and large bit.
I guess for Launch Star
  1. Lacks distance but harms opponents when she lands.
  2. Launches other opponents near by when she uses it.
Finally Gravitational Pull
  1. Pulls in opponents
  2. Repels/Reflects items

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Ooooh, this will be a fun topic!

Let's see:

Luma Shot variants:
-Offense focused version (Could be called "Luma Comet"): Sacrifices the ability to influence Luma's positioning on the field for a Luma Shot with much more damage and knockback, greater speed, as well as a bigger hitbox and better priority, but Luma will immediately return to Rosalina's side if the shot misses. Another twist could be that Lumas die if the hit connects. This will be good for people who would rather not split their attention and simply want to control Rosalina on her own, giving them an incredibly strong projectile for trading out the ability to control Luma more properly. The main reason people find her difficult to use is because Luma being there means the player's attention must be split. This simplifies her play style for those people by giving them a really strong projectile, but limiting Rosalina's strategic options.

-Defense focused version (Could be called "Luma Mine" or "Luma Trap"): Activating the move makes Luma stay in one spot for a few seconds and draws opponents in, doing some moderate multi-hit damage as Luma spins around in place. Rosalina is not effected and can use it as an escape tool. Activation is really quick, but Luma cannot be called back or further influenced until the move finishes, and the move has low priority, meaning Luma is open to being hit hard if the attack does not connect. This would still be a simple variation of Luma shot as the animation will be similar, the Luma simply spins in place.

Star Bits variants:
Simply make one version a thin, stronger, and long ranged stream with some knockback, and another that is very wide and does a lot of damage, but does not cause opponents to flinch.

Launch Star variants:
-Spring Star: Only goes straight up and makes her move pretty fast, but Rosalina will be able to damage and knockback anyone she hits. The damage dealt would be low and the knockback low, but there will be a gust of wind to push opponents away if they are near Rosalina at the VERY start of the move. However, it's more predictable due to only going in one direction, and leaves her floating slowly down due to her floatiness. The Launch Star model will be replaced with the Spring Star model from Super Mario Galaxy.

-Launch Star Cannon: Rosalina will hover inside the Launch Star and an aiming reticle will appear. You can shoot Rosalina in any direction, but you have to charge it. The lowest charge launches her half as far as the default version, but the highest charge launches her 1.5 times as far as the default version. The move deals damage and knockback according to the charge level. Highest charge is a K.O move if it connects with people at decently high percentages.

Gravitational Pull variants:
-Gravitational Shield: The items and projectiles caught will orbit around Rosalina, similarly to Mega Man's Leaf Shield. They can block projectiles as a result. However, Rosalina cannot use the items, but other people can steal them. Also, if any of the items orbiting her are explosives, they will blow up in Rosalina's face if shot or if any of Rosalina's own moves connect with them, and could obviously K.O her if she's at a high percent. Rosalina can deactivate the shield after a few seconds (this restriction is in place to punish you if you happen to catch explosives as part of your shield - also, should your shield contain items, they will simply drop and other players can use them. Projectiles like Aura Sphere will simply disappear). Also, you cannot build up your shield over time, if you want to create a new shield, you have to get rid of the shield you have. So you want to catch as many projectiles and items as you can all at once.

-Gravitational Push: Pushes back projectiles, items, and opponents. Does a small bit of damage to opponents. It trips up grounded opponents, and sends aerial opponents into a helpless, tumbling state. Items will not get neutralised though, meaning you cannot use them - if someone throws a Pokéball at you, for example, and you use this move, it will prevent it from hitting you, but the Pokéball will still aid your opponent.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I think one of the Luma shot varients should have no damage but is easier and quicker to shoot out Luma to where you want it.

Ceph

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1805-2306-4996
Hadn't given it much thought 'til now...

Luma Shot: Pressing B immediately shoots out Luma at a fixed velocity, who does no damage until you release B, where Luma does the classic spin attack.

Star Bits: Shoots one Star Bit at a time, slower speed but longer distance.

Launch Star: More control over angle + a moderate hitbox, but with startup lag. Just like how Mario spins to 'lock' into launch stars.

Gravitational Pull: Larger AOE in exchange for shorter time/weaker pull. Or conversely, smaller area but for longer time, possibly including reflect properties.

Hong

The Strongest

So it looks like one of the alternatives to Gravitational Pull is essentially a command grab.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Oh my god those custom down specials sound amazing. The Giant Luma will probably be best for tournament play, as it might be a great counter that can be followed up on.

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I'm glad that the different customizations take away the focus from item and projectile management. The former is useless in competitive play and the latter means Rosalina still has options against characters without projectiles.

I'm kind of curious how the "Catch & Release" version will end up working. It could really mess with characters that rely on precise spacing.

And I wonder...would "Guardian Luma" always be centered on Rosalina, or would Luma simply perform the move in place?

Last edited:

Veggi

Smash Champion
I feel like it would be weird for Luma Guardian to both call Luma back and activate the move. I think it will activate wherever Luma is. Also, remember that there are items in competitive play. Peach, Diddy, Mega Man, and Snake are all examples of characters that have/have had items as moves.

I'n excited that we were wrong about there being no extremely different custom moves outside Palutena and Miis. Luma Guardian is very different and Catch and Release is a fairly big step off the path of her regular Down Special.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Yeah, the only thing that's the same about Rosalina's down specials are her animation during them. Their applications are completely different.

Veggi

Smash Champion
I can't think of a better place to post this, but does anyone know if there are more famitsu scans other than Lucina, Robin, Captain Falcon, Rosalina, and Wii Fit Trainer? I've stumbled upon all of those and I was wondering if there were more.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I feel like it would be weird for Luma Guardian to both call Luma back and activate the move. I think it will activate wherever Luma is. Also, remember that there are items in competitive play. Peach, Diddy, Mega Man, and Snake are all examples of characters that have/have had items as moves.
This alone pretty much gives Rosalina a reason to have a move that attracts items toward her. By disabling those items, she can potentially use them against her adversaries.

Even if items are turned off, items generated by fighters still need to be taken into account.

Veggi

Smash Champion
Top Bottom