• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Custom Move discussion: Mario

Ultima 3

Smash Cadet
Neutral B
Fireball: Bounces 3 times before disappearing. Does 5%. After second bounce, does 4%. When used in the air, bounces twice before disappearing. Does 5%. After it touches the ground, does 4%. Bounces slightly higher when used in the air. Perfect blocking makes it bounce off shield.
Fast Fireball: Shoots straight. Up close 3%. Just outside side smash distance, 2%. Past that 1%. 3% has greater hit stun than 2%, which is greater than 1%.
Fire Orb: Shoots straight. Has lag before and after shooting. Hits a maximum of 8 times. Initial hit does 1%. Each hit, from the 2nd to the 8th does 1.5%. (Even number hits will do 2%, odd number hits will do 1%). Maximum of 12%. Just outside side smash distance. Continues to hit, even when shielding.

Side B
Cape: Does 7%. No hit stun. Reflects projectiles and thrown items. Anything reflected increases in power slightly. Turns opponent around. Stalls descent when used in the air. First use in the air lifts slightly. Every other use stalls.
Shocking Cape: Does 11%. Can cause tripping at low %. Cancels out small projectiles. KO move. Near edge at 120%, in the centre at 160%.
Gust Cape: Does 5%. No hit stun. Has a wind box. Cape reflects projectiles and thrown items. Wind box cancels out small projectiles. Cape turns opponents around. Wind box has a pushback effect. Stalls descent when used in the air. First use in the air lifts a fair bit and moves forward a bit. Every other use lifts slightly.

Up B
Super Jump Punch: Hits a maximum of 6 times. 1st hit 5%, 2nd-5th hit 1%, 6th hit 3%. Maximum 12%. Can be slightly angled. Sudden Death KO move.
Super Jump: Non-attacking. Goes high in the air, can be angled.
Explosive Punch: Hits a maximum of 2 times. 1st hit 8%, 2nd hit 13%. Maximum 21%. KO move at 120%. Doesn't go very high.

Down B
F.L.U.D.D.: Takes 3 seconds to fully charge. Pushback effect on everything hit by the water. Longer it's charged, the greater the distance and pushback effect.
Scalding F.L.U.D.D.: Takes 2 seconds to fully charge. Hits a maximum of 8 times. Each hit is 1% with the 5th hit doing 2%. Maximum 9%. Short range. Longer it's charged, greater the distance, but only slightly. Has hit stun.
High-Pressure F.L.U.D.D.: Takes 5 seconds to fully charge. Pushback effect on everything hit by the water. Longer it's charged, the greater the distance and pushback effect. Has large recoil fully charged. Can be used to move horizontal in the air.

What would be the go to customs?

Iko-Seiko

Smash Apprentice
I go into most matchups with Fast Fireball, Gust Cape, High Pressure Fludd, and Super Jump Punch. I have an alternate set with the normal fireball for some rare instances where i prefer it for camp, or interrupting low recoveries.

Ultima 3

Smash Cadet
I go into most matchups with Fast Fireball, Gust Cape, High Pressure Fludd, and Super Jump Punch. I have an alternate set with the normal fireball for some rare instances where i prefer it for camp, or interrupting low recoveries.
What do you think of Explosive Punch?
It's able to combo into down throw rather well...but the sacrifice of recovery is worrying. It IS an extra KO move though.

MrM

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0087-2818-3212
Every custom match i go into i use fireball, gust cape, high pressure fludd, explosive jump punch.

Marios recovery is good enough so you dont really suffer from the shortened upb you have gust cape to reverse stall then high fludd and you have a walljump

Iko-Seiko

Smash Apprentice
I take Explosive Punch in against Rosalina, because it kills her reliably at 95% and it's lovely out of shield, which is the only punish window rosa has.

Incendiary

Smash Apprentice
NNID
sh0rtfuse
I was having trouble against some solid DDDs this weekend at a tournament. My kill options were just not there and I ended up having to kill around 160-200% almost every time.

Seeing this makes me want to try shocking cape and explosive jump for more killing options. I barely had any use for hpf or fludd because they always recovered low. I had little opportunities to use gust cape. I was able to easily reflect Gordos without it.

Anyone else find anything that helps them significantly in certain matchups? ^^That Rosalina one sounds awesome

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I was having trouble against some solid DDDs this weekend at a tournament. My kill options were just not there and I ended up having to kill around 160-200% almost every time.

Seeing this makes me want to try shocking cape and explosive jump for more killing options. I barely had any use for hpf or fludd because they always recovered low. I had little opportunities to use gust cape. I was able to easily reflect Gordos without it.

Anyone else find anything that helps them significantly in certain matchups? ^^That Rosalina one sounds awesome
You may actually consider Up-B custom 2 to edgeguard him a little better. He doesn't have a lot of mobility, but he can recover from a very long distance. Up-B custom 2 for chasing his recovery deeper is actually probably helpful.

Also I primarily see Explosive Jump Punch as a good damage building tool, but that's actually not quite as necessary against DDD who is relatively easy to combo for Mario (his size and physics last I checked are ideal for U-tilt juggles, and he probably won't escape them). This is just theory, but I would actually see Up-B custom 2 as being the main optimal thing to consider against DDD.

Last edited:

Jdawg9876

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jdawg9876
3DS FC
4399-1836-0019
Honestly, I'd go with Fast Fireball, Normal Cape, Regular Jump Punch, and High-Pressure F.L.U.D.D, I gotta try to stick to some of the basics, they're what I work best with.

Incendiary

Smash Apprentice
NNID
sh0rtfuse
You may actually consider Up-B custom 2 to edgeguard him a little better. He doesn't have a lot of mobility, but he can recover from a very long distance. Up-B custom 2 for chasing his recovery deeper is actually probably helpful.

Also I primarily see Explosive Jump Punch as a good damage building tool, but that's actually not quite as necessary against DDD who is relatively easy to combo for Mario (his size and physics last I checked are ideal for U-tilt juggles, and he probably won't escape them). This is just theory, but I would actually see Up-B custom 2 as being the main optimal thing to consider against DDD.
I'll have to try it for sure. I'm imagining it could work but it depends on how many jumps DDD has and how far under he is on the map. Otherwise an airdodge plus up b thwarts everything. So now I have to worry about a DDD gimping me or him camping the ledge with gordos trying to read me into smash attack (which is VERY annoying).

I had no issue racking up actual damage.I just couldn't kill for the life of me. Really though the fault lies within my kill set ups.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Really racking up damage can be easy or hard depending on how you approach it, but the suggestions from above are all very valid. Mario is a very serious threat with customs, the gust cape alone makes him like 10 times better.

Explosive Jump Punch is good for lightweights but keep Super Jump Punch against Jiggs and pick Battlefield, You can U-Throw -> Dair -> Hit with Super Jump Punch (only like the 3rd or 4th hitbox) and kill her off the top (haven't tested with vectoring yet.) This works on all platforms and is absolutely hilarious. I imagine Mario can do this to more chars off the Pokemon stage with the moving platform cause of how he can easily blastzone carry since vertical zones are puny.

John Sorci

Smash Rookie
NNID
johnsorci
I saw someone at a tournament use the Fast Fireball and it worked great for zoning and throwing them off their setups, etc.

kesterstudios

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kesterstudios
I like:
1 Fireball
3 Gust Cape
2 Super Jump
3 High-Pressure Fludd

I like the regular fireballs more because I feel like it's better for approaching. still, fast fireball isn't bad. fire orb on the other hand is a terrible move. its start up is too slow, the orb it self is too slow and the damage that it deals is pretty disappointing. easily Mario's worst custom.

gust cape is easily superior over the regular cape. the 2% damage loss is nothing. the wind and still having the ability to turn opponents around makes Mario the gimping master. its too good. cant say anything about the shocking cape.

honestly I would choose super jump over the others. Mario's recovery has always been something that's really bothered me ever since melee. super jump does a good job at fixing that. sure you lose the ability to attack, but I never really used super jump punch to attack, although that's just my play style. with that said, i don't really like explosive punch since its a worse recovery move, but i do like how powerful it is, so i can some use out of it.

like the gust cape, high-pressure fludd is easily superior over regular fludd. it may take longer to charge but its worth it. the pushback the water delivers is insane. scalding fludd doesn't look that useful to me, even with the shorter charging time. the range is just not that good.

well that's my opinion on mario's customs. I would like to know what everyone else thinks.

Last edited:

monkeyboyinc

Smash Rookie
I don't quite understand why everyone seems to prefer the Gust Cape over regular Cape. Normally, if I get a cape on an off-stage enemy, I can follow up with FLUDD and additional capes for the kill without needing the pushback wind effect. Further more, the wind just seems to push people out of range of any potential follows ups on a reversed enemy when used on-stage. And I might just be imagining this part, but it seems slower too? Anyone feel like giving me some counter-arguments to all this?

Also, I'd be interested to know what people think about Shocking Cape and the various FLUDD customs. I find myself bringing Scalding into matchups against the likes of Jigglypuff and Yoshi and other near-ungimpable opponents, and I often pick regular FLUDD over High Pressure FLUDD too because I feel that High Pressure has very little on-stage uses due to the silly high pushback. Shocking Cape though, I have no idea when or how or why it should be used. Feel free to tell me in great detail why everything I think I know is wrong!

Top Bottom