• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Current Suspect Test: Garchomp

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I'm aware that we're pretty dead around here, but I might as well throw together a quick thread in case people for some reason look at here more than Smogon.

On Pokemon Showdown there is a new suspect ladder, to suspect test Garchomp into the OU metagame. However, since Smogon wets themselves at any Pokemon better than Gliscor having something that can change Evasion, for the suspect ladder Sand Veil in its entirety has been banned. Only Rough Skin Garchomp is legal for this test effectively.

You can read more about this test, as well as read up on some discussion that's already taken place here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3471600.

My personal opinion is Smogon is wussy. Garchomp has been so underwhelming in this test that they might as well unban Sand Veil from these tests and try again. I know it won't last for long because Smogon has players hella better than me, but the suspect ladder has been up for a little more than a day and I'm currently #1 on it, and have been fighting it back whenever I lose my spot, and I haven't even been using Chomp. I haven't even changed my team to adapt to a shifted metagame from the OU team I was normally running too. Also remember that this is sort of a pre-trial, and the REAL testing will be this weekend!

So yeah guys. Jump in, try Chomp out, play the metagame, have some fun. I'll gladly do some unranked games if you want.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
i don't feel garchomp was anywhere near as bad as thunderus, excadrill, or speed boost blaziken, it was just annoying

basically, it would get lucky that one time in which you missed your kill move and he'd proceed to sweep your team

but with new threats like ferrothorn, multiscale dragonite, and poison heal gliscor, he's definitely nowhere close to as stupid as he was last gen

but the one thing, he's got impressive bulk (it's better than that of swampert naturally) which is another reason why he's so annoying to top off on the fact he's got the evasion thing going for him

but then you add weather which means he's less likely to be in the sand

idk, they should just let him back normal again but he is really obnoxious to fight because of that stupid evasion boost he gets in the sand

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Why did you post this here instead of in the Battle Tower?

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
It seems fairly clear that Garchomp is banned because of Sand Veil. I mean, I hear they banned Brightpowder for crying out loud; and item that activates 10% of the time. All because you might get unlucky and miss. That's what Smogon doesn't like; chance. Personally, I agree that Garchomp isn't the near unstoppable menace it was in Gen 4. I mean, it can't learn any speed-boosting moves, so it is possible to get a revenge kill if prepared properly. It's all just bias, really. Speed Boost Blaziken? Understandable. Excadrill? Understandable, seeing as its ability always gives it a speed boost. Garchomp with Sand Veil? Please.

If Sand Veil Garchomp really is that much of a threat to Smogon, why don't they just ban Sand Veil altogether, allowing Rough Skin Garchomp to be an OU? It's all bias, if you ask me.

I wondered this too.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Nobody bothers clicking any deeper than the main forum from what I can tell.

Also Sol, that whole Sand Veil ban from OU with Chomp Legal IS this suspect test. lol.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Usually I'd say that evasion is anti-fun and should be banned (I've debated this with Ulti), but I think that in this case it's not a big deal. Sand Veil vs Rough Skin is a valid strategic decision, and Sand Veil won't always be active.

So what are the cool kids running on Chomp? SubSD?

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Nobody bothers clicking any deeper than the main forum from what I can tell.
Yeah, nobody responds because nobody posts there.

If you post in Battle Tower, they will come. Unless you post a UU RMT apparently.

So what are the cool kids running on Chomp? SubSD?
SubSD, LOSD, HabanSD, YacheSD, CBChomp, ScarfChomp...same old ****.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Yachechomp actually sucks massive ****s now lol. Yachechomp was always for **** like Ice Beam Starmie when it was made, and now there's stuff that hits much harder with Ice moves. Most **** still is a bit too wimpy anyways, but unfortunately for Garchomp, it has a whole new issue:

252 +1 SpAtk (Download) Genesect Ice Beam vs 4 HP/0 SpDef Yache Berry Garchomp: 93.85% - 110.61% 62.5% chance to OHKO

Don't forget Cloyster is actually relevant now, and STILL ***** the living **** out of Garchomp.

Anyways

Sub+3 Attacks, SubSalacSD, and Scarfchomp are Chomp's 3 best sets in this metagame probably.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I never thought anything besides ScarfChomp was good anyway.

And you think Sub+3 Attacks is good on everything.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
And you think Sub+3 Attacks is good on everything.
Don't tell me the truth! It's too much to bear!

Chomp does do well with it though. I know this seems ********, but Dragon Claw/Earthquake/Fire Blast actually makes **** scared of Sub+3 Attacks Chomp. Yeah, I know, Fire Blast. It still ****ing roasts Skarm, Forry, Scizor, Ferro, and Gene though. In sun (best weather for veil-less chomp) it makes a lot of other random physically defensive **** get 2HKO'd easier too.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Garchomp is one of those Pokemon which made me lose hope in Pokemon competitive play, along with Ampharos and Victini.

To be honest, Dragonite is much better than Garchomp due to his ability Multiscale, his range of moves, and his attack power. Sure, he may be a bit slow, but Dragonite can risk using DD in certain situations while Garchomp fears using SD because it doesn't speed him up. (Kinda funny that I stylized my blog as Dragonite, then see this. >u>)

Just my two cents. I really don't like Garchomp, nor Smogon's ranking system.

Top Bottom