• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Crystal Flash - ZSS's FS?

MoneyCat

Smash Cadet
YES! this is great to hear. You get your suit back when you get a smash with ZS Samus. I'm not disappointed in picking Samus anymore.

Wreked

Smash Lord
I remember seeing in a hands on blog, might've been gimpyfish's thread, that it brought back her suit and it gave her a shield thing that hurt people if you touched them.

HeltXL

Smash Apprentice
Well, in Super Metroid, Samus ALREADY had her suit when she did the Crystal Flash, and it expended her weapon ammunition to heal her.
So... That can't be Crystal Flash. She just gets her suit back (which is still cool none the less).

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Personally, I'm thoroughly disappointed. I thought that maybe, just maybe Sakurai would give this thus far mediocre seeming character something really to write home about. Instead, she gets a sheild. Give me a moment to conceal my enthusiasm Okay done.

Don't get me wrong. She seems fairly good. But she's no Sheik. I've been kind of disappointed, really.

Shark X

Smash Lord
I'm worried that if ZZS is fully playable, she'll overshadow Samus just like Sheik overshadows Zelda. In Melee, Zelda can't compare anywhere near Sheik. At least with Samus/ZZS, you either have to use an item to switch them, or HOPEFULLY, be able to choose ZZS on the character select screen and stick with that character the whole match, so Samus won't exactly be overshadowed.

Since there's a good chance at Sheiks return, I'm hoping Sakuri learns from Melee's mistakes, and does to Zelda/Sheik what he did to Samus/ZZS.

poncho_mcshoe

Smash Apprentice
I think this final smash is indeed paying homage to the crystal flash. Looking at the video closely when ZSS's smash is finishing, you can see her spring out of fetal position. Coincidence? I think not. Sure, the effect isn't the same as it was in Metroid 3, but other characters' attacks have changed too. Din's fire?

Edit: The best example is probably jiggly's rest.

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
Well, in Super Metroid, Samus ALREADY had her suit when she did the Crystal Flash, and it expended her weapon ammunition to heal her.
So... That can't be Crystal Flash. She just gets her suit back (which is still cool none the less).
The armor was temporarily removed during the actual ability, though, if you've ever seen it. She curls up suitless in midair while she absorbs all the energy. And though you can't see her through the flash in Brawl, she reappears curled up in midair wearing her armor, the same way as she would have after the completion of a Crystal Flash in Super Metroid. It's not quite as Crystal Flashy as I would have liked (I'd have opted for a Power Bomb explosion in there myself, as well as some actual healing of damage percent), but I think that's definitely the inspiration behind it.

bob-e

Smash Journeyman
If they ever call it the crystal flash in any Brawl canon, it's going to be epic fail.

Samus cant get to power bombs = no crystal flash.

bs4

Smash Rookie
I think this final smash is indeed paying homage to the crystal flash. Looking at the video closely when ZSS's smash is finishing, you can see her spring out of fetal position. Coincidence? I think not. Sure, the effect isn't the same as it was in Metroid 3, but other characters' attacks have changed too. Din's fire?

Edit: The best example is probably jiggly's rest.
I completely agree. The fetal position was the dead giveaway that this, in fact, is at least similar to the crystal flash (I never knew the name until now). It's just a shame that this move doesn't do reall damage (or have any knockback).

HeltXL

Smash Apprentice
The armor was temporarily removed during the actual ability, though, if you've ever seen it. She curls up suitless in midair while she absorbs all the energy. And though you can't see her through the flash in Brawl, she reappears curled up in midair wearing her armor, the same way as she would have after the completion of a Crystal Flash in Super Metroid. It's not quite as Crystal Flashy as I would have liked (I'd have opted for a Power Bomb explosion in there myself, as well as some actual healing of damage percent), but I think that's definitely the inspiration behind it.
I have Super Metroid, beaten it MANY times, and done many Crystal Flashes. Looking at Zamus's FS the way you presented it, yes, it does seem to pay homage to Samus's Crystal Flash in Super Metroid, with the fetal position and stuff.
But, I'm just saying, Zamus's Final Smash CAN NOT be the Crystal Flash, with the respect that she had her suit prior to the maneuver, and Power Bombs (who knows, her suit might have been absolutely useless in executing the Crystal Flash, but Power Bombs were necessary in executing the move).

Just like what bob-e says, if her FS is called Crystal Flash, it will not be canon.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Who said canonically you did need somewhat power bombs, a few missiles and what not to get into Crystal Flash? It's just something you'd need to not make the game too easy. For all we know she could do this all the time, yet she needed something to trade in for.

Also, Pikachu would surely blow if he went by the game. I mean, after a few Thunder uses you'd expect he'd struggle.

Anyway, it seems that ZS Samus' Final Smash rotates nearby objects around her, as if she was a mini-tornado, only with less power. This could mean that this FS could easily just confuse the character during the FS sequence.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
You deserve to be disappointed for thinking Sakurai would be dumb enough to make that mistake again. :laugh:
Dumb enough to make the mistake of making Sheik again? I wasn't expecting that. I was expecting an FS that wasn't complete and total garbage. And apparently, Sakurai isn't afraid of making the mistake of giving a character a way too broken FS (c.f. Bowser). And if she's going to have a **** FS, she might as well have some ground speed, some combo moves, and a move that puts distance between her and her opponent, so that if she happens to get a smash ball, she can buy herself time to switch back into a character that has some of all of those.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Anyway, it seems that ZS Samus' Final Smash rotates nearby objects around her, as if she was a mini-tornado, only with less power. This could mean that this FS could easily just confuse the character during the FS sequence.
Effects of her Final Smash.

Samus543

Smash Apprentice
Hi People!
I think Zamus' FS is offensive enough, as it gives her the suit again.
Though, it could be better if it also healed her.

DarkSpidey13

Smash Ace
no one ever said that Smash Bros. was canon. they can call this move Crystal Flash without destroying any Metroid lore, and most people, including me, would be happy with it.

Samus543

Smash Apprentice
Since when was SSB ever canon?
Mario throws fireballs without a fire flower.
Peach can fight Bowser.
Charecters can fight themselves.
This game will never be canon.

pud22

Smash Apprentice
its cool how things seem to gravitate towards her when she does it.

SirPenguin

Smash Journeyman
Just sayin', but in MP3, Samus goes from ZSS -> Suited in her ship in the first like 20 seconds. No special move or anything, though it was done by her ship. So it might not be called Crystal Flash or whatever, but it's clear Samus has the ability to "shift" in and out of her suit without much problem.

Chepe

Smash Lord
Heh, I had been saying it for a while now, that Zamus' final smash would be the Crystal Flash, and that restoring energy would be translated as restoring the destroyed suit. It works really well peeps. And especially so if it damages nearby enemies.

However, the radius for the energy field is smaller than I would have imagined, but oh well. And why are any of you questioning her using it without Power Bombs or being in her suit? Pikachu uses Volt Tackle without having a Light Ball, Yoshi has fireballs and wings without having a colored shell in his mouth, and Sonic goes to Super Sonic without collecting emeralds first. Theres even a ton of B moves that go against game laws...

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
at anyone worried about zss overshadowing samus

based on what we saw from the demo, zss wasn't like sheik at all, and she wasn't really that great

but it was a demo and we played around with her for literally less than 10% of the time we got with the others so... *shrug*

Legendary Angel

Smash Apprentice
Could it then be assumed that once (if you do) return to the suited Samus, you're stuck in that form and cannot return to Zamus? That would be lame.

Samus543

Smash Apprentice
But it isn't fair, in a way.
In a normal 2 minute game, you have less than 25% a chance of playing as Zamus.
This means that to make this fully fleshed charecter moore available, she must be avsailable as a regular charecter, maybe unlockable.

geemann2236

Smash Journeyman
You get your suit back, and anyone who is close to you (Like really close) will take a decent amount of damage. It's nothing amazing or anything, but it works I suppose. Samus is far better than Zamus in my opinion...

Lemon Drop

Smash Lord
Wonder when the dojo will update this, sure we will already know about it but you know its bound to happen sometime.

Also it kind of does look like it.

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
@ anyone who went to E for All:
Does Zamus's Fish restore any health? It's in two videos (I think): One where she's already at 0%, one where there's a guy's head blocking her %.

gamer8

Smash Lord
You get your suit back, and anyone who is close to you (Like really close) will take a decent amount of damage. It's nothing amazing or anything, but it works I suppose. Samus is far better than Zamus in my opinion...
Yeah, It's not really spectacular, but expected. Eh. Samus and Zamus are equally great in my opinion.

gigasteve

Smash Ace
I don't think ZSS should be her own character. If ZSS and Samus face off, it just seems wrong. Also, I don't like this idea with Link and Young Link, Mario and Dr./Baby Mario, Sheik and Zelda, and anything similar.

gamer8

Smash Lord
I don't think ZSS should be her own character. If ZSS and Samus face off, it just seems wrong. Also, I don't like this idea with Link and Young Link, Mario and Dr./Baby Mario, Sheik and Zelda, and anything similar.
They SHOULD be separate characters... or else, I'll protest.

Top Bottom