• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Critiques and advice available

_Tree

The no-more hero
NNID
DekuBaba
3DS FC
1891-1276-1936
Want a match critiqued? Questions answered in detail? Look no further:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJBXWs6y-gE

We Sheiks need to help each other out, and this is for that exact purpose. A few other Sheik mains around here are down to help out as well, so don't be afraid to ask them.

KoiWhite

Smash Rookie
Hey I got a few replays I would love some critique on. Specifically looking for tips to improve neutral and incorporate pivoting into my play. When I play slower characters, it's relatively easy to play neutral with no mistakes. When I start playing players who move faster and are simply more erratic and refined in playstyles, I feel like I play their game and make mistakes I would usually not.

First game is a game vs lucina. This one is how I generally play when I don't feel pressured by my opponent. I also experimented with perfect pivoting in this game and found that it really adds a lot to my game when used properly. The problem I have with this game is I'm not exactly sure as how to refine my play. I feel I made a lot of unnecessary moves and am looking for ways to incorporate perfect pivoting more seemlessly along with being more precise with approaches/punishes because when I try perfect pivoting in tougher matches, I get punished for it too many times to the point it's negatively affecting my play.

Strangely enough, I play with perfect pivoting way better on the 2ds than when using gamecube controllers on the wii. I feel this is because I use pp with more sparingly as a spacing tool rather than spamming it with every tilt and approach and the wiiu. Of course I would like to learn how to use it to approach too, but I feel like i need to get the fundamentals of it down before I use it for more advanced things. Hoping I could get a few pointers of how I should be approaching perfect pivoting.

Second game is the 3rd match of an online tourny vs diddy. I need help with getting around walls and stage picking in this one. First 2 games I picked fd and battlefield and got destroyed. I felt picking a more shifty stage would make it easier to disrupt his stage control. I knew what he was going to do, but I couldn't get around it. Bananas into throws and well placed aerials that prioritize over mine when I try to approach. What points should I consider when picking stages? and how do break through walls?

Videos may still be processing (probably better to watch full screen too)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Gbw-WU9cCA&feature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fesB4PQHTgU&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
I got a question about the fthrow > bouncing fish combo. I see people using it all the time, saying how easy it is to pull off at early percents (and I mean, /early/ percents)... but I never seem to do it. I don't know what I'm doing wrong exactly. It could be that I'm missing the DI read or that I'm just not doing it well enough?

I realize that DI-ing up and towards Sheik usually makes this combo not work but that's not the only time where I miss the combo. Is there a video showcasing how it's done?

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
I'd love some critiquing, but the match I want the most advice with hasn't been uploaded to YouTube yet; here's the Twitch link.
Fight or Flight: Jaxas VS OMGage (02:23:14 -> 02:33:30)

I'll have another one later, if that's all right, but it was on my stream (but at the same tournament) and I need to upload it still.
Thanks!

Ravik

Smash Rookie
Ok, first of all, nice choice in color :). I haven't played enough to get too match-up specific, but I can tell you some stuff with fundamentals.

What I know about shulk is that shield form makes it really hard to recover. If he uses it off stage, just go off and fair him. Almost the same thing with smash form. He takes more knock back, so just kill him if he's trying to recover in that form. If he has smash form on stage, it's much easier to just avoid him until it runs out.

You're movement is pretty good, but you full hop too much. Practice short hop fast falling aerials. Doing that makes it harder to punish sheik, and sometimes you can cover your landings by jabbing/grabbing when you land. Don't get greedy with combos. Know how much damage you can inflict before they can retaliate, then back off, see what they do, then punish. To me, it looks like you're throwing moves out everywhere, making it easy for shulk to counter. Sometimes it's just better to wave moves in front of your opponent (without actually hitting them) so they either wiff an attack, run into it, or do something punishable (like counter). Grenades are pretty good, but don't be afraid to get off stage and go for a gimp. Also, you're not respecting shulk's range. You got hit with wwaaaayyyy too many random forward smashes.

Other than that, you seem to have a lot of your tech down. Just practice awareness and spacing.

Pro Tip: sheik's up smash can tipper opponents on battle field's side platforms when she is underneath. Didn't see you do that those matches

Edit: @ Jaxas Jaxas

Edit Edit: @ KoiWhite KoiWhite
Gonna do this on the same post because double posting is still bad i thing i think....

Anyways, look at my third paragraph. Most of that is relevant to you. Learn what are true combos and what isn't. Work on your approach game, because rolling into your opponent every time you get close to them is going to royally screw you against a lot of players. This could be either spaced tilts, spaced aerials, or just dashing/jumping around in front of them until you see an opening. Use sheik's speed to your advantage. If your opponent is walling you out too hard, then back up, pull out your needles, and give them hell. And if you hit them with your needles, that gives you a chance to get close since they'll be knocked into the air. For stages, I couldn't tell you much right now. Haven't messed around with too many of the counter picks. Basically just choose a stage that you feel comfortable on. Bonus points if the stage hinders your opponent or gives you an advantage. For example, if your opponent's main kill options are vertical kill moves, choose a stage with a high ceiling. If your opponent has low mobility or no projectiles, choose a long/flat stage like FD and force them to approach with needles.

Edit Edit Edit: I REFUSE TO DOUBLE POST
@ ArikadoSD ArikadoSD
http://smashboards.com/threads/sheik-fthrow-into-bouncing-fish-combos-complete.377874/

Last edited:

_Tree

The no-more hero
NNID
DekuBaba
3DS FC
1891-1276-1936
I realize that DI-ing up and towards Sheik usually makes this combo not work but that's not the only time where I miss the combo. Is there a video showcasing how it's done?
I did make this video in case you haven't seen it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nyKp09PT04
It may not be working for you because you might not be using it at a percent that it even works at. Once an opponent gets a high enough percentage it stops working, and the percentage limit is different for each character.

Also everyone I look at everything posted in this thread, and will message you privately for the critique and/or advice.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
I did make this video in case you haven't seen it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nyKp09PT04
It may not be working for you because you might not be using it at a percent that it even works at. Once an opponent gets a high enough percentage it stops working, and the percentage limit is different for each character.

Also everyone I look at everything posted in this thread, and will message you privately for the critique and/or advice.
I'm trying to do it at the beginning of the match where percents range from 0 to 20, but i'll watch the video (somehow missed it before) and practice it some more, thanks :]

Ravik

Smash Rookie
Hey, i'm no tree, but try to keep the vids in the critique thread. It keeps things more organized. Did anyone look at your vid yet? I'll go check it out

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
@ _Tree _Tree in response to my problem with fthrow -> bouncing fish, I finally learned how to do it lmao. I think I was doing the bf a bit too late and I was trying it on characters it doesn't work on.

Top Bottom