• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Critique?

MH | Joeschmo

20XX Enthusiast
First thing I noticed, you keep missing your dair shines and did that awful side b. Never ever do a side b like that again. Stop dairing on his shield like that, learn to use nair shine, shine fade away nair, and multishine or waveshine pressure rather than dair as you can see, dair is easily punished. Back to your recovery, stop side bing onto to stage like that, aim for the ledge or to land onto a platform if you have to land on stage, or use up b rather than side b every once in a while to mix it up. You really just need to mix up your options. Sorry, this isn't much of an analysis really just me telling you what you did wrong, but you really need to work on adding new options into your game.

cWebSmash

Smash Rookie
First thing I noticed, you keep missing your dair shines and did that awful side b. Never ever do a side b like that again. Stop dairing on his shield like that, learn to use nair shine, shine fade away nair, and multishine or waveshine pressure rather than dair as you can see, dair is easily punished. Back to your recovery, stop side bing onto to stage like that, aim for the ledge or to land onto a platform if you have to land on stage, or use up b rather than side b every once in a while to mix it up. You really just need to mix up your options. Sorry, this isn't much of an analysis really just me telling you what you did wrong, but you really need to work on adding new options into your game.
Why is nair shine safer?

1000g2g3g4g800999

Smash Journeyman
I'm a minute in and you've already been Falcon punched twice. First order of business: Don't panic.
Second, jab sucks for purposes other than interrupting movement, and is generally a horrible get up option, I'm not sure if the one's used were intentional, but it's almost always better to uptilt or shine in those situations. If the opponent is using a move spaced around either, just get out of the way, or block it. You did a lot of waveshines on shield in the first match, and not a lot on hit. It should generally be the other way around.
If you see someone jumping at you, you can block. Falcon technically has a grab in the air, but it's really slow.
When you space a bair on someone's shield, you don't have to shine, especially if they're in a corner. Just move back to center stage and you cover roll in and can dodge oos options. React to what they do. Of course, if they're in the lead, they can just ledge stall.
Outside of this, clean up execution, don't let go of the ledge too early, and don't jump into stomp, going off of game 1.

MH | Joeschmo

20XX Enthusiast
Why is nair shine safer?
Well nair shine is safer because if you do the nair late enough you will keep them in shieldstun long enough for your shine to come out, so if they want to shield grab you they can't because they will just get shined. The reason dair is so bad on shield is because you come from above them and unlike Fox's drill it doesn't multi-hit so it doesn't give as much shield-stun, so when you dair them the can just wait out the little amount of shield-stun and grab you.

MH | Joeschmo

20XX Enthusiast
Well nair shine is safer because if you do the nair late enough you will keep them in shieldstun long enough for your shine to come out, so if they want to shield grab you they can't because they will just get shined. The reason dair is so bad on shield is because you come from above them and unlike Fox's drill it doesn't multi-hit so it doesn't give as much shield-stun, so when you dair them the can just wait out the little amount of shield-stun and grab you.
There is more to this however I'm not 100% on this, because I've only been playing Fox/Falco for about a month. Though someone else can probably expand on this.

1000g2g3g4g800999

Smash Journeyman
Nair hits farther forward, which means that your can hit from slightly farther away. Out of shield options only go so far forward, and if they aren't shielding, you cover slightly more horizontal space. That's the main reason to use nair.

For low percents:

Dair is preferable vs CC or people grounded trying to get hits off of being hit. Nair is preferable if they go airborne as dair knocks them back into the ground where they may be able to act again.

Pazukunous

Smash Rookie
Stop going in after every successful laser hit. I can't even support that sentence to be true because you just kept going in with a shffl as soon as he was on the ground which is worse than at least putting a laser in before.

Waveshining when someone is on shield is AWFUL. You can get easily grabbed while wavedashing into the next shine. instead SHINE NAIR and repeat and space yourself out a little. The flashyness of Dairs and Shines isn't all that Falco has to offer to look good. Go for grabs after some lasers, go for a spaced bair. That falcon literally distanced his self away and stood there waiting while you did all your fancy stuff and just styled on you after he got the easy opening.

TeeJay308

Smash Cadet
NAir is safer because it has less landing lag when l-cancelled, giving you more frame advantage than an l-cancelled DAir, making it impossible to grab you inbetween the aerial and the shine when done correctly. This will also work with DAir, but you have to do the DAir fairly late on their shield and fastfall immediately as it hits for DAir l-cancel shine to be safe against shieldgrabs. A good rule of thumb I think would be to use NAir to approach, and DAir to punish.

Honestly, from watching your video's I think you could've won if you were a little safer with your pressure and more conservative with your approaches. Safe pressure meaning aerial l-cancel shine into fadeback NAir/shinegrab/doubleshine. Waveshining is definitely not safe but can catch people off-guard as long as you don't become too predictable. The Falcon was kinda trolling you but he is nothing special himself either. Just go for the ledge more and don't SideB on stage as often.

Against the Mario you went for NAir shine a couple of times and he always got hit with the shine. Whenever you went for DAir shine on shield, you got grabbed, so either learn the late DAir or stick with NAir for approaches. There was one particular instance that I found really interesting (3:10). You had Mario on the ledge trying to get back on, and you were facing him backwards and SH-ing in place, as if to say, don't whiff a move or I'll BAir your ass back off the stage, but then the Mario went for a (very laggy and poorly spaced) FAir, and you didn't react to it at all... It's a good idea to face backwards against an opponent who is near the edge because of your UTilts and BAirs, but you HAVE to capitalize on openings like that. You sometimes tried to FSmash Mario near the edge, which isn't that great and it got beat out by his ledgehop FAir. FSmash is only good as a punish, not that good to just throw out and hope it hits, that's what BAirs and UTilts are for. Like I said, face backwards and try to BAir them off again.

This guy did not look comfortable in his shield and ALWAYS tried to retaliate whenever you attacked his shield. You should focus on how to bait certain OoS options and punish them hard. With Falcon he constantly tried to either shieldgrab you or DAir OoS. Whenever I play opponents like that, I sometimes attack their shield while landing slightly outside their grabrange or behind them, dash away to bait their OoS aerial and punish it with whatever is appropriate at the time.

Last edited:

Grendel

Smash Rookie
my biggest critique of ur play was that it seemed like u were throwing out moves without putting a lot of thought into which move. It was difficult for me to guess why you chose the moves u chose in each situation and I often saw better moves u could have used in situations. Some of the things to consider when deciding what move to use are ur percent, ur opponents percent, stage positioning, spacing, the hitboxes you are throwing out and the opponent is throwing out, the hurtboxes that are vulnerable while u are throwing out a move, the hurtboxes from which the oponent is vulnerable, the knockback of the moves ur throwing out, the lag of the moves, and the hitstun of the moves. This is a lot of information to process in the middle of the match in tense high pressure situations so my recomendation to learn how to proccess all of the information quicker is to take the time to study all of falcos moves to get a better understanding of how falcos moves work and to understand all of the properties of each of falco's moves.

Grendel

Smash Rookie
Side note the first thing I noticed was that u double jumped right in front of falcon and I want to acknowledge that is a very risky approach because if u get knocked off stage falco has limited recovery range and u would be very vulnerable to gimps

m0ll0y

Smash Cadet
Dude b-air works wonders against falcon , also try to wave dash in place if they are trying to react alot to your movement( i think lucky does this) every now and then you can catch them slipping . Oh and also f-smash is really good for edgeguarding falcon ,rather than trying to b-air.

Top Bottom