• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Critique Wanted!

Paper Maribro

Smash Ace
Hey guys, I main Pac-Man, Mario, Peach and ROB with Shulk and G&W as secondaries and I was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers on my playstyle/technique/whatever. I know in a lot of the Pac-Man videos, I spam side-b a lot but I have broken this habit now (the most recent Pac videos I have uploaded are the Pac vs. Rosa and Pac vs. Mega Man videos).

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCw2U6J8_xhqas3dC1YXVm7w/videos here is the link to my channel.

So yeah, if anyone has anything to say regarding my play, that would be awesome thank you!

Edit: I currently only have videos of my Pac with one video of my Mario and one of my Shulk. I will upload more later.

Last edited:

Jiggsbomb

Smash Ace
I watched your video where you played shulk vs a sheik namned Salvatore. Now I have been a Jigglypuff main ever since N64 but in smash 4 Shulk is my alt. I have played 30h as him. But some tips are

1: Short hop Nair, speed monado is godlike for this, also shorthop fair. You can also do this with the buster monado to rack up some easy damage. But you have to be strategic about it.

2: Never, ever, ever use backslash offstage, it is a trash recovery. But it is a great attack for punishes.

3: Grab more, his throws has some good followups. For example, D-Throw, U-Tilt, fair. Lets say you do that with ther buster art. You have about 28 % more dmg on your foe.

4: Shulks smash attack has quite a bit of start up time, and a lot of landing lag. So he relies heavely on his jab combo, tilts and arial attacks.

5: The speed Monado is really good for rushing down your enemies, run up grab and do the combo that is in tip 3. Also if you can't short hop nair. It will be a lot easier with the speed monado.

6: Short hop nair. His Nair is GODLIKE so try practicing that.

But all in all, it is a new smash game, so it is really fun finding your own strategies that work! Other then that you played quite good! :)

Paper Maribro

Smash Ace
I watched your video where you played shulk vs a sheik namned Salvatore. Now I have been a Jigglypuff main ever since N64 but in smash 4 Shulk is my alt. I have played 30h as him. But some tips are

1: Short hop Nair, speed monado is godlike for this, also shorthop fair. You can also do this with the buster monado to rack up some easy damage. But you have to be strategic about it.

2: Never, ever, ever use backslash offstage, it is a trash recovery. But it is a great attack for punishes.

3: Grab more, his throws has some good followups. For example, D-Throw, U-Tilt, fair. Lets say you do that with ther buster art. You have about 28 % more dmg on your foe.

4: Shulks smash attack has quite a bit of start up time, and a lot of landing lag. So he relies heavely on his jab combo, tilts and arial attacks.

5: The speed Monado is really good for rushing down your enemies, run up grab and do the combo that is in tip 3. Also if you can't short hop nair. It will be a lot easier with the speed monado.

6: Short hop nair. His Nair is GODLIKE so try practicing that.

But all in all, it is a new smash game, so it is really fun finding your own strategies that work! Other then that you played quite good! :)
Thanks for your points :)! I have another Shulk video I will upload soon that shows off a bit better how I go with him. I still have not got the hang of his Speed art but I have become much better with his combos and punishes. I do still have a lot of work to do, but because Shulk is trash online due to the lag, I have not practiced him as much as I would have liked to.

Btw, Backslash offstage was a mistake. Damn circlepad :mad:

Jiggsbomb

Smash Ace
Thanks for your points :)! I have another Shulk video I will upload soon that shows off a bit better how I go with him. I still have not got the hang of his Speed art but I have become much better with his combos and punishes. I do still have a lot of work to do, but because Shulk is trash online due to the lag, I have not practiced him as much as I would have liked to.

Btw, Backslash offstage was a mistake. Damn circlepad :mad:
Ok, the circle pad can be quite annoying! But yeah, try practice with shulk in practice mode offline. Like I said his N-air is truly godlike. I'll gladly watch the Shulk video that you'll upload! :) Keep it up!

Paper Maribro

Smash Ace
Ok, the circle pad can be quite annoying! But yeah, try practice with shulk in practice mode offline. Like I said his N-air is truly godlike. I'll gladly watch the Shulk video that you'll upload! :) Keep it up!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L30k_13asU

Here it is, a Shulk Mirror match. I think I played quite well tbh, but far from perfectly. I do realise I am not using the arts to their full potential and of course, I dont think I used his nair once. However, this is much better play than the other video I uploaded.

Jiggsbomb

Smash Ace
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L30k_13asU

Here it is, a Shulk Mirror match. I think I played quite well tbh, but far from perfectly. I do realise I am not using the arts to their full potential and of course, I dont think I used his nair once. However, this is much better play than the other video I uploaded.
I watched the video, you played quite good! But I saw some things that where no-nos. For example Grab more, I can't stress that enough. Shulks throw has some good follow ups.

The Monado art I start a match with is speed. Because I can run up grab and what do you know the enemy has 49 % dmg on them. I like to use buster after that, and and SHFF his nairs and fairs. His bair is also quite good, but it has a bit of start up time.

Then I finish of with smash, you should only use the Smash art if the enemy is above 90 %. You should finish a stock with it.

SHFF stands for Short hop-fast falling. Practice to SHFF his nairs. Because his Nairs are so damn good.

Other than that, I thinked you played well. But you shouldn't really use your jump art in the middle of a fight. You should only do it if you're doing some cheeky edge guarding.

But the more you play the better you get! :)

Paper Maribro

Smash Ace
I watched the video, you played quite good! But I saw some things that where no-nos. For example Grab more, I can't stress that enough. Shulks throw has some good follow ups.

The Monado art I start a match with is speed. Because I can run up grab and what do you know the enemy has 49 % dmg on them. I like to use buster after that, and and SHFF his nairs and fairs. His bair is also quite good, but it has a bit of start up time.

Then I finish of with smash, you should only use the Smash art if the enemy is above 90 %. You should finish a stock with it.

SHFF stands for Short hop-fast falling. Practice to SHFF his nairs. Because his Nairs are so damn good.

Other than that, I thinked you played well. But you shouldn't really use your jump art in the middle of a fight. You should only do it if you're doing some cheeky edge guarding.

But the more you play the better you get! :)
Yeah I guess it comes from using Pac all the time (you have to bee 110% when grabbing with Pac man or you die. Simple as. But thanks again, I will be sure to use more speed, although I do still like his buster as an opener. On two occasions I managed to take him from 0% to kill percent just from one move that lead to a string of u-tilts.

I will absolutely use Nairs more, I remember seeing on one of the Shulk pages, a guy was told that he lost because he "didn't nair enough"

Btw, Jump was an accident. Hence why I cancelled it as soon as I could.

But thanks once again for all the feedback :)

Top Bottom