• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Critique Request] Oats (Sheik) vs IPK (Lucario)

Cheeri-Oats

Smash Lord
Hi,

My name is Oats and I play PM and Melee. I use Sheik in both games, and for the first time in a long time, I have a recorded set I'd like to get critiqued.

Oats (myself, Sheik) vs IPK (Lucario)
This set is from this past Friday's tournament in San Diego. I feel I have a very strong idea of how to play the Lucario match-up as Sheik, but I think there are still Sheik-y things I'm missing.

I don't want to pre-seed/incept any critiques I do receive, so I'll say no more.

Thank you in advance.

D

Deleted member

@ Cheeri-Oats Cheeri-Oats you def have the right idea but your punishment game is way off

- you need to grab more. like a lot more
- bair the startup to lucarios up b rather than the movement, it prevents trades and gets easier timing
- spend less time jumping in the air with your 2nd jump. maybe this is accidental not sure. this isnt so much vs lucario so much as its just a good idea not to jump too much in smash

Last edited by a moderator:

Cheeri-Oats

Smash Lord
@Umbreon

I love that you commented on the video, and I find it especially funny because I know you have a money match against IPK in the coming weeks. Hope it goes well for the both of you.

Your critiques are spot on.

ImmaAsian

Smash Cadet
@ Cheeri-Oats Cheeri-Oats

I gotta say Oats, your Sheik is much better than mine and I will start using a few new tactics you used in that match. (Like the back throw chain-grab, I never knew about it until I saw you use it). But @5:24 in the video, after you used your dash attack and popped him up, an up-air would have taken the star KO instead of the f-air you did. People tend to misjudge the strength of the a sweetspotted up-air by Sheik. Just remember that you can always close the stock off the top with a solid up-air instead of continuing with a f-air. Overall, very nice! That last kill from back throw to up-smash was a great followup. I'll be watching your Sheik for more matchups!

Idostuff

Smash Apprentice
the only new thing i would add, and you didn't do this that much but it is still something, don't dash attack in neutral against an opponent <40%. There are so many things that could go wrong, crouch cancel, shield grabbed, punish on the whiff. Even if the DA connects you aren't getting any followups at that %. any time you get a DA, it could have been a boost grab, which is just a better option in those low % situations.

Cheeri-Oats

Smash Lord
Thank you, Idostuff! You're absolutely correct. I was not paying attention to percents as much as I am nowadays but that still is a bad habit I exhibit.

Mr. PotatoBread

Smash Cadet
How does sheik play the lucario MU?

I'm sorry for turning the post around and asking for help to someone who is asking for help... but i'm having some trouble with this MU in particular. What should I do in neutral, how do I edgeguard lucario and what stages are good for sheik in the MU?

Top Bottom