• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Critique needed

FlamingForce

Smash Journeyman
I recently managed to top an amateur bracket at a tourney but I still feel like I'm doing so much wrong, when I watch good Puff players they seem to flow far better and faster then I do, but luckily I have a video of me playing now so I would like to ask the puff boards to give me some critique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pc1HF0L85I4

Match I would like critique for starts @ 16:18

The rest before that was also me doing my best but I feel the last match is the only one I'm not completely embarrassed about x]

Sagacious

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4382-2155-9551
I'm not professional enough to give much of a critique but I didn't see enough upairs. One thing you missed on Falcon around 14:00 was after he grabbed you it gave opportunity for you to sink down > upair > rest but instead you baired. When the opponent is above you it gives the option to just put a ton of pressure with up airs; it's scary and you can get away with missing them if under a platform because you can bair or fair right after it if they slip under you.

You did great off stage in the 16:00 match but something I noticed is you prefer sticking to popping off the ground with bairs instead of staying in the air and weaving your way around. Only staying in the air as Puff is bad because people can slip under you. Only staying on the ground as Puff is bad because you would be able to follow up on combos when opponents reach mid to high percents (perhaps this is why you feel like you lack a flow).
So the best advice I can give is to find a middle ground with it, mix it up. I'm currently having this issue as well.

A big issue is you missed some rests too, not only the upair rests I mentioned before (which is great on Falcon btw cause he's a fast faller) but you didn't capitalize on his mistakes with them. Believe me, I wouldn't be able to land these rests either but it's noticeable where you could have done them:

18:48 instead of that grab you could've rested

19:03 not sure but jump oos rest after he missed that forward-b?

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on anything cause I'm also still learning. Cheers.

The Prince: SDJ

Smash Apprentice
Hugest thing I noticed: You gave away stage control for free every time you gained it, you also back aired falcon back onto stage when nair would have killed him. Second use rising pound when recovering upwards, forces the opponent to leave the edge. You can also use sing to reverse recover. You can also jump and do rising aerials instead of just falling back to the ground after one jump, incurring lots of landing lag. Wave landing would also help.
If you want more tips let me know

Last edited:
Top Bottom