• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Critique My Sheik

Mystryu

Smash Rookie
In the set vs BB in this game. Those who main Sheik in PM, can you guys explain what i did wrong and what i did right and what i need to improve on based on this set? I do lose this game fyi and i am posting this to see what i need to improve on as far as playing as Sheik. Not so much with the Ike MU.

http://www.twitch.tv/cosmash/v/4046003
(Skip to 17:00)

*Also i do play again on stream towards the end, at roughly 2:59:30. If anyone is willing to watch that and Critique that set i had with DanComboZ that would be great. You don't have to if you don't want to, although it would be greatly appreciated.*

Thanks in advance.

Maromi

Smash Rookie
I only have one or two matches against an Ike so pardon me if I am a not helpful/wrong about anything. Your punish game is looking pretty good and some of those up-smashes were sexy

things I noticed though...

There were times when you didn't respect his recovery:
  • When you have the option to guarantee % with needle bombardment or ledge grab, I'd say go with needles more often. You force him an unfavorable position where he may mis-input and die, and you rack-up damage to guarantee the fair kill. If you get trapped into his recovery, it can put you riiiight where he wants you.
Bans:
  • I personally wouldn't have banned BF, it has a good amount of platforms to help you tech out of up-air strings and don't forget you get really nice mobility from platform game too. Ike also doesn't have the option to QD->wall jump recovery as much on BF as some other stages and I feel it would be more in Sheik's favor though I was not expecting the Dreamland CP
Recovery:
  • Don't switch Zelda against Ike (like you did in game 2). More times than not it isn't worth it; if you die and you have to spend your invincibility on changing back.
  • Perhaps utilize air dodge more when coming back down from an Ike up-air strings. Sheik is so helpless coming back down, getting down is high priority.
Movement:
  • I'd try to utilize more mix-ups on your movement game. I can see you have a good feel on how she moves, WD's, and etc. but one thing I like to do is platform->waveland->bair/fair/nair; It can be lightning fast and really throw people off.
Attacks:
  • Ike + DAir I think may be no bueno as the risk likely outweighs the rewards.

That last back-air though, that would have been it. Great games dude.

Last edited:

Mystryu

Smash Rookie
I only have one or two matches against an Ike so pardon me if I am a not helpful/wrong about anything. Your punish game is looking pretty good and some of those up-smashes were sexy

things I noticed though...

There were times when you didn't respect his recovery:
  • When you have the option to guarantee % with needle bombardment or ledge grab, I'd say go with needles more often. You force him an unfavorable position where he may mis-input and die, and you rack-up damage to guarantee the fair kill. If you get trapped into his recovery, it can put you riiiight where he wants you.
Bans:
  • I personally wouldn't have banned BF, it has a good amount of platforms to help you tech out of up-air strings and don't forget you get really nice mobility from platform game too. Ike also doesn't have the option to QD->wall jump recovery as much on BF as some other stages and I feel it would be more in Sheik's favor though I was not expecting the Dreamland CP
Recovery:
  • Don't switch Zelda against Ike (like you did in game 2). More times than not it isn't worth it; if you die and you have to spend your invincibility on changing back.
  • Perhaps utilize air dodge more when coming back down from an Ike up-air strings. Sheik is so helpless coming back down, getting down is high priority.
Movement:
  • I'd try to utilize more mix-ups on your movement game. I can see you have a good feel on how she moves, WD's, and etc. but one thing I like to do is platform->waveland->bair/fair/nair; It can be lightning fast and really throw people off.
Attacks:
  • Ike + DAir I think may be no bueno as the risk likely outweighs the rewards.

That last back-air though, that would have been it. Great games dude.
Thanks for the response. I honestly didn't know how to edge-guard his UpB, as you saw i used needles to catch him but he was able to what it seems like, immediate UpB again. And i couldn't really wavedash->grab edge because of how fast he was able to UpB. So i basically just let him back on for free.

My reason for banning BF was because of Ike's massive hitbox's on his ariels, mainly nair but also uair, fair and bair. I felt like he would be able to catch me more with a smaller stage to battle on. Which is why i tend to like wider maps, since i like to keep space between me any my opponent and i also like to needle frequently. As i felt like with BF, i wouldn't have that many opportunities to charge up my needles.

I do notice that i dont air dodge with Sheik enough. I feel like if i even get that close to air dodge onto the stage, my opponent will see that i am getting too close and snipe me out of it. As with Sheik, her recovery is very limited.

I don't understand what you mean by "platform->waveland->bair/fair/nair" do you mean like slide off bair/fair/nair?

And for my Dairs towards Ike, idk i felt like if i fastfalled them that it would work, as he wouldn't see it coming but obviously it didn't work too well. I feel like i have a hard time getting back down to the stage with out throwing a premature hitbox out, as if they are at lower % they can just trade with my falling bair/nair/dair and usually put me in a worse situation without a jump.

And as for that bair at the end of the game. I truly believed it would work but he dropped lower than i expected which caused me to miss and cost me the game. Had i chose to land on the stage, Ike would have just dsmash me, sending me to an unrecoverable angel, plus i dont believe in my teching skills to stop myself from flying downward had he dsmash me on stage after my UpB.

To be fair i didn't get that many friendlies in before this set, so to me i seemed slower then usual. But im not taking any credit away from BB.

Maromi

Smash Rookie
I don't understand what you mean by "platform->waveland->bair/fair/nair" do you mean like slide off bair/fair/nair?
Yes. When you waveland and slide off, you can immediately fast fall into an l-canceled aerial. It can be a valuable spacing tool with b-air as well when trying to stay out of range while at higher percents and can throw off opponents. The only immediate example that comes to mind is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyiUgYRJ-Wc @around 1:10

Last edited:

Mystryu

Smash Rookie
Top Bottom