• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Critique my Play

ShiningBind

Smash Rookie
NNID
SonicTeam
(sorry if this is the wrong place for this, its my very first post) Ever since the announcement that you'd be able to upload replays directly to Youtube, I have long awaited the time when I can have my play looked at by the internet at large.
NOW I HAVE THAT OPPORTUNITY!!!
I am opening myself up to scrutiny from this respectable smash community, seeking ways to better my self-taught style

I play very twitch/reaction based. I've never learned about the ins and outs of mechanics.I just.... sorta observe what happens and learn. Im opening myself up to this because I feel it would be the best way to learn what i don't know so that i can put specific work towards it. Hopefully you guys can help me with that.
All fights are for-glory, as I main vanilla Palutena, so no need to worry about such thing. I am plautena in all fights (duh)

That said, Here goes!

ShiningBind

Smash Rookie
NNID
SonicTeam
Now then, let me throw the first stone at myself.

1) i am EXTREMELY proud of my jabstopping (using that Jab A to force a clash and maybe even beat them out) but it's a pretty hard skill to hone online. I fail it a good amout of time depending on connection and even sometimes in Couch VS. It may be on the "medium risk low reward" side.
2) I play a very grounded Palutena which may be sub-optimal considering a lot of videos i see have her spamming back/forward airs
3) I ENTIRELY suck at meteor smashing and blocking recoveries in general. I let a lot of matches prolong off of botched recovery blocks
4) I get the feeling i get predictable in the later end of games. I find myself seeking grabs too hard and getting red/punished.
5) I'm can be a habitual roll-spammer at times :_;

Thats what i was able to figure out about myself through self-analysis. but Im certain there's even more Im missing. please help!

Silleby

Smash Rookie
I haven't watched all of them yet, but what I definitely noticed (which you said yourself aswell) is, that you're playing VERY grounded, I really miss the empty-shorthops, forward airs, bairs or Tomahawks in these matches. I see you alot just standing still and doing absolutely nothing, I'd recommend spending that time atleast shorthopping "back and forward", to set yourself in a safer position, giving yourself more options, decreasing options of the other player, and maybe even find an opening to engage. All you can do while you're just standing still is Shielding, Dashattacking, or maybe run up and grab, better players will use that to their advantage and bait out stuff, or simply punish you for standing still. Also, you're using Autoreticle ALOT, I'd maybe turn that down a bit, cause it'll get you punished alot if this turns into a habit, especially against faster characters or stuff like jigglypuff (Autoreticle shouldn't have worked at all against a jiggs who knows, what he's doing)
Gonna finish watching the other videos "tomorrow" (1:27 AM right here)

Last edited:

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
I only watched the first video, but I did notice you are standing stationary a lot of the time. You have the right idea to be defensive and only attack when you have openings, but simply standing there is not always beneficial. Like the user said above, begin short hopping to give yourself leverage and seek an opening to attack.

I think Palutena has decent aerials, so you definitely want to use them. You're playing very ground orientated, which is good for some characters like DK, Ganondorf, etc., but Palutena is often meant to attack in the air. I also noticed you did not use her signature combo, which is d-throw -> f-air. At low percentages, and even higher ones, this is pretty effective for quick damage and spacing yourself from the opponent. I recommend maybe using a jab-to-grab (which you have been doing according to the video), and use a down-throw. Your opponent will fly in front of you, so you can follow up with an f-air.

Palutena has slow but powerful smash attacks, which I am sure you are aware of. Because you play according to your opponent's actions, you should practice really, really predicting rolls and movements. Palutena's smash attacks can be very useful and kill early if you master predicting your opponent.

I have experimented with Palutena before, and I actually found a useful trick. When the opponet is around 80%-90% (more or less), use a down-throw. The opponent will fly high in the air. Quickly follow them (on the ground), and begin charging an up-smash. A typical opponent will most likely air dodge in reaction to the charging of the up-smash. Immediately after they air dodge, release your up-smash. Because it has such great range, the opponent could be killed around 80%.
If you don't understand what I mean, I'll gladly take a video for you.

Oh, have you checked out or Guides? You could find some good Palutena tricks there. At the top of the page, check the tabs that read "Home," then "Forums," then "Guides." Click guides, go to a Smash 4 guide, and find Palutena's name.

Let me know if you need anything. I hope I helped! (:

Last edited:

Silleby

Smash Rookie
I see you abusing her Jab alot, which isn't bad ofc, but you might be abusing it too much, making you predictable after a short while. Also, don't use her Smashes at low%, not out of a jab, not out of a throw, and not to throw gordows back. Just don't :D
Try not to warp onstage right into your opponent, for example: Palutena Play 7, 0:50
That Ganon had rage and you sat at like 75%, if he woulda just upsmashes or something, you would have been straigtup dead, leaving a ganondorf with 115% rage on the field, you don't want that to happen.
Else, I think you're doing pretty fine, I like the playstyle of yours, haven't seen such a Palutena yet, but I'd still consider atleast spacing with Bair|Fair, Bair is easily Palutenas best move, so why not use it?

ShiningBind

Smash Rookie
NNID
SonicTeam
oh those upsmash gordo knocks........
I actually went a bit braindead and wanted to see if i could knock it UP with an upsmash i just wanted to believe :_;. turns out you cant O.o well noted.

Silleby

Smash Rookie
Yup, Gordows always fly right back at Dedede if you hit 'em (Execeptions are, you hit them from the direction they come from [I think..] or the move's something like Palutenas SideB and the gordow came with very small amount of speed)

ShiningBind

Smash Rookie
NNID
SonicTeam
Gonna upload some losses soon. So we can look more in-depth at some of the things I did wrong that resulted in the loss. Though it'll take some time for me to actually lose (humblebrag.exe)

MockRock

Smash Apprentice
I came here to get some information on Palutena, so I can't really tell you what I'd do differently with her. But what I would pick up on playing against you is your habit of backpedaling constantly, which is quite predictable. Palutena is admittedly a defensive character, but you retreat so often that I usually know where you're going at any point. I also noticed that you're being a bit happy-go-lucky with Auto-Reticule, which is not difficult to bait and punish.

Last edited:
Top Bottom