• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Critique my horrendous Marth, I must improve!

Dublio

Smash Ace
Beware, there is no sound, so play some backround music or something to enhance the suckage.

Here are a few matches between me and my friends. This was during the New Year's Eve Party. I have 4 more that I'll upload tomorrow and the rest were not as good. So anyways enjoy. Critique if you like. I'd like to improve myself in anyway possible.

Also, this was before I started practicing Shffling, and ledgehopping. I knew how to wavedash, so I did it occasionally in matches although I probably used it at the wrong times.

Marth (Dubs) vs Peach (B )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY5lT4A05Wc

Marth (Dubs) vs Peach (B ) 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgg0CxfltII

Marth (Dubs) vs Doc (B )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEGHSSPTa4Y

Marth (Dubs) vs Doc (Zac)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IMqbMpt0gw

Marth (Dubs) vs Ganondorf (Zac)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3pu6zDnlyg

Marth (Dubs) vs Capt. Falcon (B )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H45bKLiQDRw

cowboyardee

Smash Journeyman
You seem to have the most basic ideas of marth play down -- mix up grabs and aerial combos into tippers and then edgeguard. And you're decent once your opponent is in the air and you're comboing. You mostly need to get faster and smoother and more technically proficient. And find some opponents who actually try to use mindgames and punish mistakes instead of just walking into fmsash after fsmash.

You need to l cancel, and fastfall (much of the time, anyway). Learn short hop double fair.
You really need to work on your movement. Dashdancing and wavedashing appropriately. You also need to work on spacing your aerials. You want most of them hitting with the tip of your sword. Learn to utilt and shy away from the usmash.

Really though, if you go and learn all the tech stuff, most of your other problems would be helped most by playing against some better competition. Your friends repeatedly walked right into tippers, attacked with no attempted mindgames, and failed to punish mistakes that most players would've punished. You mostly just need to go work on tech for a while and then have your *** handed to you a bunch of times until you automatically fix your spacing and movement and quit spamming fsmash (at the wrong times anyway) and usmash.

Good luck.

MASSIVE LOAF

Smash Rookie
you suck....
Wow that was helpful...

Anyway don't listen to him. I agree completely with cowboyardee. One thing you can really focus on is short hopping and fast falling. It will really speed up your game and help you get a lot better. If you need to, just go into training mode and practice two things over and over again: SH->n-air->FF and the short hop double F-air. Both should really help improve your game.

Also since you know how to wavedash you could work on putting it into your game more. One easy way of implementing it is to simply wavedash backward when your opponent attacks you and then f-smash them. Simple, yet effective.

Keep at it and you'll become a much better Marth in time ;)

Dublio

Smash Ace
Thanks for your advice, it is appreciated. I'm not a newb but I might as well be. However I'll try my best to get better anyway. My only competition are two friends so I didn't really get out much. I found more people that play Smash that are better then me, and now I'm going to go out to tournaments where I can then proceed to get mashed by everyone. There's still hope for me to get better. Anyhoo, I'm going to get with my friend next Monday and work on improving what you told me. Hopefully my next video won't be so sad. Thanks for all the help, time to get a list and memorize it for battle.

cowboyardee

Smash Journeyman
A few (edit: many) extra notes about your matches with zac, since he seemed to give you more trouble.

Against his doc: dont just sit there and duck under pills because a better doc would've just moved a little or started jumping while spamming and hit you in your crouch. On top of that, just sitting there crouching puts you at no advantage whereas approaching to tipper range and cornering him by an edge puts you at an advantage. Walk (not run) forward and swipe his pills away with ftilt until you're at striking range. Now he'll have to abandon his spamming and either attack (less likely on account of your ridiculous priority and his positioning by the ledge) or escape (more likely). Figure out what he likes to do here and counter it -- in Zac's case he had no idea what to do so he just kept on pill spamming. A fsmash will take care of that very nicely.

Also at about 1:35, the game should have been over right there. This situation highlights two good uses for wavedashing. You could've wavedashed backwards once (a short wavedash -- control stick at a 45 degree angle down) and your edgeguard would've had a better chance of hitting, either with a fsmash or a dtilt. Even better, you saw he had lost his second jump already and Doc's recovery is cr@p. So if you had just quickly turned around wavedashed backwards to edgehog, and then rolled up during his upb you would've won right there.

Against ganon:
That ganon was reaaaally predictable (no offense). His entire approach -- full hopped aerial (usually fAir), no fastfall, no lcancel, no follow up into a grab or jab. Occasional double jump into a dair if you miss a fsmash. He liked to compete with you in the air (advantage ganon) and sheild grab you (advantage ganon). Your aerial approaches tended to get you in trouble.

So what are your best options? Well, sheild grabbing should be very easy. Only problem is that most of marth's grab combos don't work against gannon. Still, nothing wrong with sheildgrabbing anyway. It'll piss him off. Or you could spotdodge his aerial and then counter -- note you can only do this because he doesn't lcancel and thus doesnt follow with a jab or a grab. Another option: wavedash backward into either a fsmash or a shorthopped fair/nair while ganon's in his lag from his missed aerial. Work on this to get it smooth and fast. And be patient. Don't swing for a fsmash until you know you have it. Playing a lot against zac's ganon could help your patience and timing quite a bit.

Against a better ganon, you'll have to move around a lot more on the ground (dashdance and wavedash -- especially dashdance) to bait an attack and punish smaller windows of opportunity. Use grabs out of dashdance to uthow utilt at low damage and to get him toward an edge at higher damage. After about 40% punish with a lot of shorthopped double fairs (or short hopped fair to uair to whatever) and aerial combos into tippers. Edgeguard well and patiently, especially with dtilt.

dark-war-cloud

Smash Journeyman
i think you are pretty decent... but you dont know what to do at the right time (like you "up-smashed" while running)... and you need to work on your l-cancelling and shffl... but overall id give you a 5/10... you are too predictable though....

Holyknight_127

Smash Rookie
just for attacks, most of them are
nairs and fairs in the air also do fair then dair when they are close to edge but are in the air this will spike them. So u have to learn fast fall l-cancel and short hop. If you are on the ground while they get thrown up, u can do utilt. on the ground are chain throws, grabbing fsmashes or just shorthop neutral a. THese are the basic ways to play marth. dsmash usmash and counter are used occasionally. They leave u vulnerable. dancingblade should only usually be used as a spike or ur recovering, but i dont prefer as a spike its hard to time. edge hop is nice too to recvoer better by using a nair or fair once back to the edge. For my edgeguarding, all i usually do is wavedash into an edge hog first. Opponent has to land on stage or at the edge. When they press upb I just roll back onto the stage. Since they land on the stage now, their lag time allows me to fsmash them. Tr not to double jump right away when guy atks u. Sorry if someof these things were already done. Here are all the tips so if u c something u didn't do, u can do it. Remain unpredictable by mixing up these atks. Try to predict ur opponent too and dash dancing is good too.

Top Bottom