• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Critique my Ganondorf (MerzA Vs. Bidooof)

MerzA

Smash Cadet

I knew I threw away a couple stocks trying to up air off stage, and I shouldn't be using Wiz Kick to come down from above as many times as I did, but other than that what needs improvement?

CORY

wut
BRoomer
throw your vids in here, next time. we do a good job of giving feedback in the thread itsefl, if you ask.
http://smashboards.com/threads/gannondorf-videos-where-art-thou.342323/unread

i think you should learn to edgeguard ganon a little better. you seem to roll off the ledge a little too soon, and you lack the use of down angle ftilt when he's upbing.

it also feels like you could ftilt as a spacing tool a little bit more, especially if your opponent's in shield. you can use that to condition them to sit in shield a little longer, then start going for some version of flame choke.

Aerros11

Smash Journeyman
Video, Section 1:
Too many UAirs
Too many Flame Chokes
Too much greed
You're moves are not calculated and it seems u are often fighting the air in hoping that your target makes a mistake and dashes straight into, what should have been, a missed attack
Do not use any other throw except d-throw versus Ganondorf especially
Ganon is at a disadvantage on ledges; try to keep away from them
Platforms interrupt some of Ganon's combos..try not to pick stages with platforms.
Don't taunt mid-match so randomly
You spammed the slide U-Smash attack too much
Make use of Ganon's double airs
Try to make use of Ganon's Up-B out of shield
Make use of Ganon's flame Choke recovery; you can recover safely from most attacks if u flame Choke just a bit under the ledge

Last edited:

MerzA

Smash Cadet
throw your vids in here, next time. we do a good job of giving feedback in the thread itsefl, if you ask.
http://smashboards.com/threads/gannondorf-videos-where-art-thou.342323/unread

i think you should learn to edgeguard ganon a little better. you seem to roll off the ledge a little too soon, and you lack the use of down angle ftilt when he's upbing.

it also feels like you could ftilt as a spacing tool a little bit more, especially if your opponent's in shield. you can use that to condition them to sit in shield a little longer, then start going for some version of flame choke.
My ledge game is probably what I need to work on most. I've just started getting ledgehop aerials down but I'm not comfortable enough to do it consistently so I was just opting not to try and avoid SDing, I'll definitely be working on it more.

I've been meaning to use downward angled f-tilt to edgeguard but I always forget! I'll make a note to try it more.

Video, Section 1:
Too many UAirs
Too many Flame Chokes
Too much greed
You're moves are not calculated and it seems u are often fighting the air in hoping that your target makes a mistake and dashes straight into, what should have been, a missed attack
Do not use any other throw except d-throw versus Ganondorf especially
Ganon is at a disadvantage on ledges; try to keep away from them
Platforms interrupt some of Ganon's combos..try not to pick stages with platforms.
Don't taunt mid-match so randomly
You spammed the slide U-Smash attack too much
Make use of Ganon's double airs
Try to make use of Ganon's Up-B out of shield
Make use of Ganon's flame Choke recovery; you can recover safely from most attacks if u flame Choke just a bit under the ledge
I'm a thirsty mofo lol. I need to try and play a more patient spacing game punishing bad approaches instead of going so aggro. For follow-ups out of D-throw should I be going for chaingrabs or SH bair/uair? Also, I like platform stages the most because of wavelanding, I don't fare too well on FD (especially against projectiles).

I'm going to try to use Up-B OOS more and Auto Canceled Nairs to Jab/Ftilt more.

Aerros11

Smash Journeyman
I'm not so great on giving combo tips. Try it out on the field XD
cheers

CORY

wut
BRoomer
against ganon specifically? just dthrow chain him til kill percent, then fair (or bair, if he's behind you and you feel wonky trying to turn around first). pretty sure ganon can chainthrow himself to death.

in general, you want to dthrow-fair. unless they're at low enough percent that you wouldn't get them offstage, and you'd prefer damage, then the best option is either uair or nair, and go from there. (you could get ballsy and go for dair-tech read or slam jam into tech read, too).

MerzA

Smash Cadet
I've compiled a list of notes, lemme know what you guys think

-AC Nair - 21st Frame (immediately after 2nd kick)

-AC Bair - 18th Frame

-Downward Angled Ftilt on Sweetspotters

-Ftilt Shields -> Flame Choke

-Down Throw-> Fair/Uair @ High%, -> Dthrow,Nair,Dair @ Low%

-On floaties: Down throw -> aerial side B

-Flame Choke under ledge to recover

-Up B OOS

-AC Nairs to Ftilt/Jab (Arty Vortex)

-Ledgehop Aerials instantly after grabbing ledge (Uair, Fair, Bair)

-Wavedash onto/off of ledge

-Watch tech on Aerial Flame Choke. Punish no tech with Utilt, make reads on techs for more Flame Chokes/Dash Attack/DACUS/Jab

-Nair -> DACUS

-DI Downards at high percents instead of dying off the top

-Platform Drop Uair/Bairs

-Shield Dropping

-Learn when/where to WD OOS instead of just randomly trying

-Try playing without shielding in friendlies to improve movement options/avoid getting stuck in shield

-Edge Canceled Aerials/Wiz Kick -> More aerials

-Lightly tap the triggers to L-Cancel/Avoid shielding after Aerials

-Run past people and Pivot Grab (especially if they're in shield)

-Crouch turnaround to grab ledge quickly

-Dash Attack off ledge -> quick aerial

-Dash Dance/Foxtrot for spacing. Jump when opponent enters my "zone"

-Waveland -> Ftilt

-Watch opponents character instead of my own

Last edited:

LOGIA666

Smash Apprentice
Great Ganon game. My only critiques are that you should use less Uairs, as you can approach an opponent just as effectively with Fair/Bair, and try and use more Dairs, jabs, Ftilts, and dash attacks.

Yanoss1313

Smash Journeyman
Warning! complete troll post for lols ahead:

You call that Ganondorf? more like FAILDORF! lololololololol......

lol.... sorry about that.

ok, on to business.

I noticed you often go pretty deep on allot of your Aerial approaches (especially Fair and Bair) and got punished for it a few times.
It's usually a good habit to try to tip with Fair when you go for it, that way it's more safe on shield. Other than that though, there's nothing i can ad that other haven't already said

Keep it up. :)

MerzA

Smash Cadet
Warning! complete troll post for lols ahead:

You call that Ganondorf? more like FAILDORF! lololololololol......

lol.... sorry about that.

ok, on to business.

I noticed you often go pretty deep on allot of your Aerial approaches (especially Fair and Bair) and got punished for it a few times.
It's usually a good habit to try to tip with Fair when you go for it, that way it's more safe on shield. Other than that though, there's nothing i can ad that other haven't already said

Keep it up. :)
Yeah I've noticed that getting Stomps and Fairs right on the edge of people's shields usually end up being really safe, as they try to shield grab me and get nailed by an Ftilt

Top Bottom