• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Critique my Fox!!

Walbytamer11

Smash Apprentice
Not sure if I should be posting this here or in the videos section but I'd appreciate some advice on the Fox ditto.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_X1542-fhGY&index=12&list=PLWcHlvWlkoe3LkCTSkeNnF_YhM5varBqf

Here's the set against one of the best local players, who I play fairly often. I'd like some criticism on the Fox ditto. I went Falco because he has a weakness, though I'm doing to drop Falco and instead go either Fox/Marth from now on.

I was told I needed to capitalize on my edgegaurds and hold space with WD down. Could anyone else pick up on stuff?

Thank you :)

vizayad89

Smash Rookie
Ok so first thing I'll mention is your option selection. I think a few of your punishes were a little questionable. For example, a few times I saw you go for uthrow > uair at high % that missed when uthrow > bair would definitely kill.

Your neutral game and dash dancing looks nice and in good portions of the match you were definitely beating him in neutral and out spacing him. A few times however he opened himself up and you had a chance to punish but you didn't. I'm not sure if this is maybe you not reacting in time or you not recognizing all of the openings, but either way that still stands.

Your edgeguarding could be more efficient and cover more options (as is the curse of most of us lmao). A few times you would cover an option, and then use an option that doesn't cover the option that they took. One specific case, you backaired off ledge covering if he shot straight at you, then landed and tried to dsmash, which whiffed. I think shine right at the ledge actually would have covered his fall instead.

Some of your recovery options probably also could be better. I think it would work well for you to incorporate fadebacks into your high recoveries better (For example, in one game you opted to recover at a high angle which your opponent punished with an upsmash. I believe you could have faded back and gotten ledge there).

You missed some tech stuff which I'm sure you realize. Could be nerves but you gotta make sure you're crispy!

One thing I would like to know: I noticed a few times that, when edgeguarding, you would jump back and then shine to delay yourself from grabbing the ledge. Why is this?

Overall there weren't any super glaringly obvious things that you were doing terribly. You seemed to be playing the matchup fine (maybe a bit more runup shines/shields) but I think the biggest thing you could improve is your edgegame

Last edited:

Walbytamer11

Smash Apprentice
Ok so first thing I'll mention is your option selection. I think a few of your punishes were a little questionable. For example, a few times I saw you go for uthrow > uair at high % that missed when uthrow > bair would definitely kill.

Your neutral game and dash dancing looks nice and in good portions of the match you were definitely beating him in neutral and out spacing him. A few times however he opened himself up and you had a chance to punish but you didn't. I'm not sure if this is maybe you not reacting in time or you not recognizing all of the openings, but either way that still stands.

Your edgeguarding could be more efficient and cover more options (as is the curse of most of us lmao). A few times you would cover an option, and then use an option that doesn't cover the option that they took. One specific case, you backaired off ledge covering if he shot straight at you, then landed and tried to dsmash, which whiffed. I think shine right at the ledge actually would have covered his fall instead.

Some of your recovery options probably also could be better. I think it would work well for you to incorporate fadebacks into your high recoveries better (For example, in one game you opted to recover at a high angle which your opponent punished with an upsmash. I believe you could have faded back and gotten ledge there).

You missed some tech stuff which I'm sure you realize. Could be nerves but you gotta make sure you're crispy!

One thing I would like to know: I noticed a few times that, when edgeguarding, you would jump back and then shine to delay yourself from grabbing the ledge. Why is this?

Overall there weren't any super glaringly obvious things that you were doing terribly. You seemed to be playing the matchup fine (maybe a bit more runup shines/shields) but I think the biggest thing you could improve is your edgegame
Alright I definitely appreciate and understand all this information, and will definitely bring a notepad next tournament lmao. I do know that my tech is pretty awful, I stopped practicing like last year and since then I only play about 3 or 4 times a month, at tournaments. My edgegaurds have always been my weak point, so I'll look up some top player bread and butter edgegaurd scenarios.

There's no other reason I stall with shine other than it's fun. I don't do it in situations where I believe the opponent will recover close enough, in which case I'll need to refresh my invincibility for a safer punish.

Thank you for all this, really, I don't really get much feedback on my stuff.

vizayad89

Smash Rookie
Alright I definitely appreciate and understand all this information, and will definitely bring a notepad next tournament lmao. I do know that my tech is pretty awful, I stopped practicing like last year and since then I only play about 3 or 4 times a month, at tournaments. My edgegaurds have always been my weak point, so I'll look up some top player bread and butter edgegaurd scenarios.

There's no other reason I stall with shine other than it's fun. I don't do it in situations where I believe the opponent will recover close enough, in which case I'll need to refresh my invincibility for a safer punish.

Thank you for all this, really, I don't really get much feedback on my stuff.
No problem, I definitely know where you're coming from. Also, for not practicing that much you're still pretty damn good, definitely better than some of the players in my scene lmao.

NooBosS

Smash Rookie
Your Fox isn't actually too bad. If you could waveland on platforms more often and better jump-cancel shine follow ups would be good too. Other than that yet pretty solid. Work on the things I mentioned above and you get better.

Top Bottom