• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Critique my fox

GOLF

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
golf#184
Hi everybody. I'm a new fox player that has gone a a couple local tournaments, and I'm looking to get better and work my way up the ranks. Any and all critique is welcome! My tag is "Golf", I'm the kid in the batman shirt. Thanks

Mr. Fox

AKA Shiro
NNID
ShiroTagachi
Howdy! My advice would be work on your ground game. I noticed a lot of the time you were camping the platforms, which isn't the best thing for Fox to do considering his options from above are extremely predictable. Practice your fundamental movement, dashdancing and wavedashing, and combining the two to aid your mindgames. I also suggest approaching with nair a lot more often.

Overall, not bad. You have decent tech skill and an understanding of the game. You just need to focus your efforts in different areas. Keep it up man.

Last edited:

T r a n

Smash Cadet
Hi everybody. I'm a new fox player that has gone a a couple local tournaments, and I'm looking to get better and work my way up the ranks. Any and all critique is welcome! My tag is "Golf", I'm the kid in the batman shirt. Thanks

Like what the other guy said, camping platforms is alright, but playing the platforms too much can be predictable and risky. That kind of strategy worked on battlefield because the top platform is really high, but FoD didn't workout and PS has no top platform. With that said, you should counterpick to your strengths/weaknesses (or opponent's), not necessarily what is considered best in the matchup. You seem to be uncomfortable dash dancing and using your SHFFL aerials in the neutral, so battlefield seems like your best choice if he lets you go back there. If you're going to pick stadium, you should do short hop lasers, (double lasers if you can, but not necessary) to force approaches. If she floats over them you can dash dance to bait, or do full hop lasers.

Once you do get your SHFFL aerials down though, you should remember to drill at low percent, because drill is multihit and will make sure she can't crouch cancel your approach. After drills, you can get waveshine -> up smash/grab, or grab immediately after drilling. Nair is only good after higher percents, or when you know she isn't going to CC, like when she's in the air, in which case you can do nair -> nair -> up smash and other stuff like that.

GOLF

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
golf#184
Like what the other guy said, camping platforms is alright, but playing the platforms too much can be predictable and risky. That kind of strategy worked on battlefield because the top platform is really high, but FoD didn't workout and PS has no top platform. With that said, you should counterpick to your strengths/weaknesses (or opponent's), not necessarily what is considered best in the matchup. You seem to be uncomfortable dash dancing and using your SHFFL aerials in the neutral, so battlefield seems like your best choice if he lets you go back there. If you're going to pick stadium, you should do short hop lasers, (double lasers if you can, but not necessary) to force approaches. If she floats over them you can dash dance to bait, or do full hop lasers.

Once you do get your SHFFL aerials down though, you should remember to drill at low percent, because drill is multihit and will make sure she can't crouch cancel your approach. After drills, you can get waveshine -> up smash/grab, or grab immediately after drilling. Nair is only good after higher percents, or when you know she isn't going to CC, like when she's in the air, in which case you can do nair -> nair -> up smash and other stuff like that.
This is unbelievably helpful, and I couldn't agree more with the strategies on different stages part. Thanks a bunch for the input, I'll get right to practicing my SHFFL in neutral.

T r a n

Smash Cadet
Don't forget to work on your dash dance too! A strong dash dance combined with a strong SHFFL pressure game will keep yourself unpredictable. Look up Mango or PP's dash dance.

Estwood

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3609-2019-2185
No offence or anything but your being really lazy with your fox. Fox has so many good combos and, try practising D-air -> wavedash follow up and use nairs. If the opponent is camping lame them out by shooting lasers. Working on movement is an easy way to get inside of the heads of slow characters like Peach. But overall just be more aggressive.

GOLF

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
golf#184
No offence or anything but your being really lazy with your fox. Fox has so many good combos and, try practising D-air -> wavedash follow up and use nairs. If the opponent is camping lame them out by shooting lasers. Working on movement is an easy way to get inside of the heads of slow characters like Peach. But overall just be more aggressive.
I think you couldn't be more right about my play. During that particular set, my nerves were pretty high and I could have been a lot more focused and paid more attention, which could have made my fox look a lot better. I feel that might be one of my main issues as far as playing well goes. Thanks so much for the input.

Smokey Huntz

Smash Apprentice
work on your punish game and bread and butters

Bread and Butters for the peach match up= wave shines, shine up smash and lastly up throw up air.
one last piece of advice for that match up which I noticed you doing but I don't think you necessarily thought about it is Cross up bairs(jumping over peach and bairing her from behind) which is really good against her as well as samus

Top Bottom