• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Critique my Falco?

Gabezilla

Smash Rookie
Hello, i dont have any vods of any sets but i have played friendlies with a friend of mine. Here it is

http://www.twitch.tv/gabezillaa/v/44387194

Just want to know if you can point out any bad habits i have, anything i'm not doing, things i could do better, etc. Thanks guys =)

edit: sorry if the quality is bad, i really want a new capture card T_T

edit 2: now have sets against marth and fox starting around 4:20:00(lol) we were just having fun and made a 4 man bracket http://challonge.com/tkmwednesdaymelee

http://www.twitch.tv/gabezillaa/v/46939879

Last edited:

Archelon

Smash Journeyman
Your punish game could be cleaned up a bit, but isn't too bad. I think the biggest improvement you could make is in your neutral, you don't always have to run forward laser than run forward with a dair, you can mix up the lasers a bit more, I am not explaining it well but you should watch this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rqw5wRh2E88
Hope I can help :)!

`Rival

Smash Cadet
Hello, i dont have any vods of any sets but i have played friendlies with a friend of mine. Here it is

http://www.twitch.tv/gabezillaa/v/44387194

Just want to know if you can point out any bad habits i have, anything i'm not doing, things i could do better, etc. Thanks guys =)

edit: sorry if the quality is bad, i really want a new capture card T_T
i watched a few games
your on stage game/game plan vs fox is pretty good imo - assuming you know how to make adjustments when you need to

but here are the things i picked out

-you really like to illusion on stage whenever you are knocked off and are high enough to do so. i think you were getting away with this way too much but the fox wasn't adjusting so it worked out.

-sometimes when you get put up onto a platform really quickly and miss the tech, you like to get up in place.

-sometimes you drop combos and kill opportunities.
for example there was a point where you did dash attack --> dtilt on dreamland
not 100% sure about this but it looked like you coulda downsmashed him off stage then set up for an edgeguard.
on yoshis you did dash attack --> dair on his first stock when i THINK you coulda reversed bair to kill
definitely could of used first hit of fair

sometimes i think you can be more accurate with your edgeguards -
throughout a the games there were a few firefoxes that he got away with that you could have intercepted
a few spots where you could shoot lasers when fox is high up to snipe him down

-and be careful you sd a lot lol

Last edited:

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
I'd really like to give you critique, but my computer cannot handle source quality Twitch VoDs. Youtube is perfectly fine, but most of the time I'm looking at between 6 and 10 fps for source-quality Twitch VoDs. There are plenty of other people here that can help you out, though.

nuev0_

Pocket Mario Monster
Hey. A few things:

You have good technique, shine wavelands are something a lot of beginner Falco mains ignore.

One thing I've noticed, and you can confirm whether or not this is true, is that you don't really seem to have any defense.

I play with a guy named JH, he does **** with falco that I can't even do even though I have six more months on him, and yet the instant you hit him it's almost like he whimpers and you can toss him around like a hackey sack.

Playing more patiently improved my game a lot. You don't always have to be the aggressor, especially not against a Fox, and you can show how flashy you are once you get that shine off. You don't always have to style/prove that you're amazing at the game is what I'm trying to say. Watch any of the pros play and they're not always styling/playing flashy/at breakneck speed either. Because once you take 4 stocks due to your fundamentals being on point, you'll be known more as a good player who feels like an impenetrable wall.

Last edited:

Abaddun

Smash Cadet
Use side-b recovery any vertical chance you get. It seems like you got punished everytime you tried to Up-B to ledge horizontally. Also don't drop your punishes at low percents with flashy movement. Falco should be able to rack up atleast 50% everytime he lands a shine that isn't cc'd.

Pawpz

Smash Rookie
Hey. A few things:

You have good technique, shine wavelands are something a lot of beginner Falco mains ignore.

One thing I've noticed, and you can confirm whether or not this is true, is that you don't really seem to have any defense.

I play with a guy named JH, he does **** with falco that I can't even do even though I have six more months on him, and yet the instant you hit him it's almost like he whimpers and you can toss him around like a hackey sack.

Playing more patiently improved my game a lot. You don't always have to be the aggressor, especially not against a Fox, and you can show how flashy you are once you get that shine off. You don't always have to style/prove that you're amazing at the game is what I'm trying to say. Watch any of the pros play and they're not always styling/playing flashy/at breakneck speed either. Because once you take 4 stocks due to your fundamentals being on point, you'll be known more as a good player who feels like an impenetrable wall.
Now that you mention that, I can say I agree with you! I look back at my gameplay and I can never figure out any time I let loose and wait for my opponents to come at me. There are times when I do think "should I play patiently this game/set?" But it never occurs to me that it can be very useful in certain situations. I like adding a bit of "fear factor" into my opponents(going in and doing absolutely nothing and retreating) as I see it as a mixup that can be useful, but other than that I can see that my Playstyle is full aggression. I will have to balance my patience with that, thank you so much for your input! :)

Pawpz

Smash Rookie
Use side-b recovery any vertical chance you get. It seems like you got punished everytime you tried to Up-B to ledge horizontally. Also don't drop your punishes at low percents with flashy movement. Falco should be able to rack up atleast 50% everytime he lands a shine that isn't cc'd.
I agree, I do tend to get flashy not just in friendlies but in tournament sets as well. It's a bad habit I am trying to pick at slowly

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
Pawpz Pawpz Please just use the MultiQuote function to respond to multiple messages at once. Doubleposting or anything more just looks a bit ugly.

Top Bottom