• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Critique my Falco

Time

Smash Rookie
I mainly want overall feedback, and especially how to prevent gimping like what happened at 3:00 in the first video.

Video 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUJ6XAKVfOs

Video 2 (solid match, just couldn't finish): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5agIFi2Vgo

Video 3 (almost got four stocked): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgL1wgxpRDE

Short Clip of me losing a stock quickly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXnA8sQVtZI

If anybody takes the time to watch even one video and give your opinions, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Blade-Fox

Smash Apprentice
After Video 1:
- Immediately noticed that you're rolling too much. You dash dance which is good so try using that combined with wavedashing. Falco has a short wavedash but it still has its uses.
- You need to L-Cancel those aerials but I saw you do one L-Cancel so you're obviously working on it so good job. Keep it up. :)
- You don't seem to have your next move planned out a lot of the time. You (and your opponent) will have a small exchange and then just pause and stand there. It's like you are trying to figure out your next move at that moment. You need to be doing something. Pausing has its usefulness but you need to be keeping up the pressure most of the time.
- No more approaching with that F-Air on Falco. Try using your lasers along with D-Air and N-Air. However, be careful with it as always diving in every time you laser will lead to you being predictable.
- No more back to back to back side-smashes. That's a kill move, not a combo starter/approach.
- You need to use more of Falco's moveset. Didn't see any jabs, B-Air's, or tilts. Try using those more.

After you get L-Cancelling down, you need to apply some more pressure and add more shine (reflector) to your game. I think you're on the right track though. :)

After video 2:
- Too many side-B approaches. It's great as a move to catch people off guard but you're using it way too much. Try lasers and SHFFL'd aerials like I mentioned above.
- Not as much pausing between skirmishes this time. I'm wondering if you guys were warming up in that first match.
- You need to give some more thought to how you get up after being knocked down. You either roll left or right. You have more options than that. Try get up attack, just standing up, or laying there for a second and then rolling, standing, or attacking. This will help mitigate the tech chasing problems.

After video 3:
- Just noticed you don't really grab either. Falco's throws don't really combo but the grab is a great option that you should have to help mix up your pressure game. Helps for people who like to shield a lot and just stay in the shield.
- This should come with time but you should take some time outside of matches and practice recovery. You alternate use of Side-B and Up-B which is good. However, you need to alternate how you come back with Up - B. Try going up sometimes and fast falling or creating a shallower angle into the stage to change the time of when you get to the ledge. Always taking the direct route to the edge will get you punished a lot like your opponent did at 2:25.
- Same thing with the edge game. You don't have to full jump out of it every time. Explore and use all of the options at the edge. You can get up, attack, full jump, roll, or let go of the edge. Get creative. :)

I only watched each video once but I think that's plenty to get you started. Falco's weight still seems a little foreign to you with the way you move which may be a side effect of the new found freedom of L-Cancelling. I'd highly suggest watching tournament level players and polishing up the basics a little more. Apex is coming up soon so there will be a plethora of video to help improve so watch that if you can. Don't just watch videos of Falco either, watch as many as you can.

Hope this helps! :)

NeonApophis

Smash Apprentice
Everything above is accurate. The other big thing is that you need to do combos. You're basically getting a lot of random hits and not following up very well. Watch some pros and see how they combo, start doing basic stuff with dair and shine since it's really easy. You'll need to practice combos against lvl 1 cpus in order to develop your tech skill and learn what sort of combos are possible. Even if they don't DI optimally, this practice will give you the tools you need to follow up on DI and combo real opponents.
This might help spark your creativity: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8znKwUedVjU

Zekk

Smash Apprentice
you are too slow speed up your hands

Last edited:

Zekk

Smash Apprentice
Your Falco sucks.... retire please...
He does not suck he needs to improve you dont deserve to be a falco main if you have no respect for your peers

Edit: He deleted his post but he said that this guy sucked

Last edited:

Drodeka

Smash Journeyman
I don't mean to offend, but you might want to hold off on this character until you are more, up to speed? with the game.

You simply aren't fast enough to be playing this character effectively. You pause at crucial moments, you hesitate to punish, you fail to read even the most basic of strategies when they are thrown at you.

You really need to be able to think at the pace of the game and at the pace of your character, which are both REALLY, REALLY fast. I don't want this to be all negative criticism, so I will link you this video, which was recommended to me upon my first submission for critique and helped me improve vastly.

Aside from all that, you need to know what moves to use, when, and why. Don't just throw forward-airs because you are trying to go forward and are also in the air. Don't just down air because you want somebody to go down, it has multiple other uses (like making them go up).

You need to familiarize yourself with ALL of your characters abilities before asking about how you should be applying them.

Zx2963

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to assume you are coming from brawl. Here are I think of list of things you should practice (I personally think you should continue as Falco, but as others says, he's very fast paced and you need to increase not only your finger dexterity, but your mental calculations in term of the game).
#1 Teching: All you need to do is press R or L before touching the ground, that way you don't get comboed that hard. You can do it off walls to but you can watch a video for an indepth guide
#2 L-Cancelling: I assume you know what that is, just practice and the timing will come naturally
#3 SHFFL: At the peak of your aerial move, press downwards to fall fast, IMPORTANT for combos
#4 Shine and Cancels: Read up on the guide in the melee thread, its useful
#5 Pillaring: Same guide ^
#6 Wavedashing/Waveshining: Any guide explains how to do it, but its usefulness is to close in fast on the opponent and pressure them hard
In my opinion, I'd just train really hard at those things and practice against a Lvl. 9 AI for now until you get better

GeZ

Smash Lord
The above posts are helpful, but are missing that you really just need to improve your fundamentals before you ask how to improve in specific areas. Just get down all the tech, and then get down strategy, and then come back.

HK_Spadez

(@'o')=@ t('o't)
He does not suck he needs to improve you dont deserve to be a falco main if you have no respect for your peers

Edit: He deleted his post but he said that this guy sucked
i dont see the post as deleted, its still there for me. but +1 like for standing up for the guy.

Last edited:

GoldHazard

Smash Apprentice
After Video 1:
- Immediately noticed that you're rolling too much. You dash dance which is good so try using that combined with wavedashing. Falco has a short wavedash but it still has its uses.
- You need to L-Cancel those aerials but I saw you do one L-Cancel so you're obviously working on it so good job. Keep it up. :)
- You don't seem to have your next move planned out a lot of the time. You (and your opponent) will have a small exchange and then just pause and stand there. It's like you are trying to figure out your next move at that moment. You need to be doing something. Pausing has its usefulness but you need to be keeping up the pressure most of the time.
- No more approaching with that F-Air on Falco. Try using your lasers along with D-Air and N-Air. However, be careful with it as always diving in every time you laser will lead to you being predictable.
- No more back to back to back side-smashes. That's a kill move, not a combo starter/approach.
- You need to use more of Falco's moveset. Didn't see any jabs, B-Air's, or tilts. Try using those more.

After you get L-Cancelling down, you need to apply some more pressure and add more shine (reflector) to your game. I think you're on the right track though. :)

After video 2:
- Too many side-B approaches. It's great as a move to catch people off guard but you're using it way too much. Try lasers and SHFFL'd aerials like I mentioned above.
- Not as much pausing between skirmishes this time. I'm wondering if you guys were warming up in that first match.
- You need to give some more thought to how you get up after being knocked down. You either roll left or right. You have more options than that. Try get up attack, just standing up, or laying there for a second and then rolling, standing, or attacking. This will help mitigate the tech chasing problems.

After video 3:
- Just noticed you don't really grab either. Falco's throws don't really combo but the grab is a great option that you should have to help mix up your pressure game. Helps for people who like to shield a lot and just stay in the shield.
- This should come with time but you should take some time outside of matches and practice recovery. You alternate use of Side-B and Up-B which is good. However, you need to alternate how you come back with Up - B. Try going up sometimes and fast falling or creating a shallower angle into the stage to change the time of when you get to the ledge. Always taking the direct route to the edge will get you punished a lot like your opponent did at 2:25.
- Same thing with the edge game. You don't have to full jump out of it every time. Explore and use all of the options at the edge. You can get up, attack, full jump, roll, or let go of the edge. Get creative. :)

I only watched each video once but I think that's plenty to get you started. Falco's weight still seems a little foreign to you with the way you move which may be a side effect of the new found freedom of L-Cancelling. I'd highly suggest watching tournament level players and polishing up the basics a little more. Apex is coming up soon so there will be a plethora of video to help improve so watch that if you can. Don't just watch videos of Falco either, watch as many as you can.

Hope this helps! :)
This is some very solid advice. I main both fox/falco in melee, and although their are some subtle differences between PM Falco and Melee Falco, they're still rather identical in terms of how they're played.

I'll try to keep this short and try to provide as much information based on what I saw.

First, I would like to say that your dash dance is decent. Maybe lengthen your strides just a tad when pulling away from your opponent. The purpose of dash dancing is to make them whiff moves to provide you an opening to begin attacking. When this happens, you can either go for a grab, a Nair, or a Dair and begin your combo chains from there. you seemed to be doing it in place, and instead of your opponent whiffing his Fsmash, he hit you with it instead. It's most effectively used when your opponent is beginning to approach you, but you're off to a good start.

Work on short hopping a bit. You're full jumping way too often, and on stages like battlefield, especially against a marth, it's absolutely imperative that you do not get caught above him. The range of his sword, his ability to juggle opponents above him with his Utilt, as well as the possibility of chain grabbing a space animal (trust me, marth can do this like a god) is extremely dangerous to you, and should only be done when absolutely necessary, or to mix up your combo or aerial game when the need arises.

L cancel. L cancel again. L cancel a third time. L Cancel, L Cancel, L Cancel. Every aerial attack with falco should be L Canceled to reduce the landing lag of each move so you can react quicker. There's plenty of videos on YouTube that can provide a tremendous amount of information regarding this technology, and the appropriate times to implement it (Which is all the time). The less amount of frames you spend recovering from a move, the better and faster you will become.

Wavedashing. Can't stress this enough, it needs to happen. It's useful for mind games, useful for quick approaches, and escaping from rather tight situations. It mixes up your ground game and opens up more combo possibilities. It helps you Edge Hog if used off the stage to grab a ledge. It gives you a lag free landing on stage when recovering from the ledge. The uses for this are endless, and when applied appropriately, can make you that much more of a better player. There's TONS of information on this board about this piece of technology, but YouTube will be able to provide a visual representation of how to perform this technique, and when to generally apply it. Your movement options are important, and it's an absolute necessity if you wish to play at an exceptionally high level of play.

Although blade fox covered it, I wish to reiterate it again; Approaching with Side-B is a bad idea. There's tons of punishable lag to this move if it doesn't connect or if blocked, and can lead you to extremely punishing situations, that can, but not always, be fatal in a match. It's mostly used as a recovery move, not as a general attack. Be very careful when using this.

Short Hop Laser more often. This is an important, but not always central (depending on your playstyle) technique in Falco's repertoire. Short Hop, Laser, Fastfall, Rinse and repeat. When done quickly and consistently, it provides excellent pressure on the opponent, Forcing them to move away from the punishment and think about how to approach you. It even allows you to approach targets a tad bit safter. It's a mind game in itself. Either your opponent has to devise a way to get to you and attack you, or they just keep taking damage from lasers. It makes them wonder if you intend on approaching with it, and how they should respond if you do. All just from a little laser gun.

Tilts are also important. Dtilt is good for juggling at medium percents as well as a vertical kill move at high percents. Utilt is great for juggling and spacing out your opponent. Ftilt is a useful edgeguard move (great at stopping fox illusion and falco phantasm if timed correctly) and to flick an approaching enemy away from falco (but be careful doing that, as the move has rather low priority).

You have to work on a combo game as well. Studying professional players is always good at learning how to combo, and what moves work with another in what situations when trying to learn a character. Check out YouTube and watch videos of these players playing falco; DaShizWiz, PC Chris, Dr. PeePee (PPMD), Th0rn, Zhu, and Mango. (Although, Mango's Falco is absolutely insane, so don't study him too much until your game picks up considerably).

Other things that you should check out; SHFFLing, DI, Jump Canceling, Crouch Canceling, CCC... It's probably very beneficial that you just get acquainted with smash terminology, which can only benefit your understanding of the game, and benefit your in game performance as well.

You're at very early developmental levels at this moment, But with enough practice and dedication, your game will improve dramatically within a short month or two after practicing applying all this information, as well as any other information anyone else has to offer. Falco is an exceptionally powerful character, and it will take a long time to effectively master him, but as long as you're dedicated and continue practicing, and challenging yourself against good players, you will continue to improve. :)

Good luck, and Keep at it!

Last edited:
Top Bottom