• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Critique my DDD

SuperDS64

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SuperDS64
3DS FC
1676-3810-3884
Here's an example video of what I think is my best as DDD atm. Any way I can improve? (Sorry about quality, had to use computer's built-in camera/mic to record).

MarioMesser

Smash Rookie
I might not be the best D3, but here´s some of my improvements, also should be noted that i dont have a ton of experience fighting falco's yes

- use your Dsmash, not your Fsmash. Fsmash is powerfull, yes, but it's nothing compared to the speed and relative power of Dsmash. It comes out quickly and hits pretty good. Don't ever charge your smashes, your priority is to make them hit
- running attacking is best off used against enemies that like to roll a lot. It gets me some kills, but it needs a bit of prediction. Use with caution
-Dont forget that dtilt can combo into itself, and that it's a powerfull tool for catching people slightly off guard with it's speed and suprising long range
-recover low. At elast, most of the time your chances are best if you recover low and then use your Uspecial, prevents edge guarding a lot, I guess.
- whenver your recover, remember you can use up to cancel your attack, so he can grab onto the ledge. Just estimate where it lands, and if it doesn't, immediately cancel when you're roughly a bit above the ledge.. Remember, D3 grabs the ledge from below, not when he flies in from above.
-when you're knocked high, Gordo time! Seriously, it's wonderfull because if they hit it back, you'll still be high in the air. It wastes a bit of their time and can be a great counter to enemies that follow you into the air.
- gordo's are the gods you have against recovery. Really wonderfull tool to hit low recovering enemies.
-good work with the shorthop areals. No issue there
- you forgot to suck. Sucking is a great move to deal with approaching enemies, as well as knock people out of their comfortable zone.

my personal opinion is simple. Your arials are very good, but your ground stuff needs work :)

that good enough?

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
I'll try and break this down by timestamps, if you need anything elaborated on or clarified feel free to ask.

0:15, 0:21 - Fsmash and dash attack are both sluggish, unsafe kill moves. Throwing them out randomly like this is asking to get punished hard, and when your opponent is still at 0% the risk isn't even remotely near the reward even if your opponent did accidentally bumble into them. You were fortunate to have an opponent that respected these moves as much as they did, but you could've been that much closer to KO percent if both of these were punished.

0:24~0:38 - Here, Falco spaces you with the reflector then punishes your slower attacks with his quicker jab when you do get in. When in doubt, shield. You can run up, shield the reflector, and grab to dthrow>nair, bair, fair, uair, whatever. You can shield his jabs and do the same to those. Shield is Dedede's best friend. Love it, cherish it, marry it, til death do you part.

0:48 - Gordos at neutral are a very bad idea. This is why. I can sympathize with the desire to throw out projectiles when you're outside hammer range, but unless you're absolutely certain it won't be flying back in your face (or if you're at a range where you can hit it back again), don't throw a gordo at neutral like this.

0:52 - Unsure if you're unaware of this or if you were just expecting to land onstage, but you can press up during Dedede's upB to cancel the jump and enter the helpless state, allowing you to control your descent as well as grab the ledge while falling. However, it would've been a much better idea to drop down and recover low to sweetspot the ledge with your upB; Dedede's upB is really punishable when landing onstage.

1:02 - When fighting an opponent that's poking you through your jabs like this, it might be a better idea to use jab less and ftilt more.

1:14 - I'm really not a fan of sh fair as an approach like this, as it has over half a second of landing lag and doesn't autocancel from a shorthop. You spaced it properly so his grab whiffed, but he could've dropped shield and dash grabbed. If you want to approach with an aerial like that, bair autocancels from a shorthop (still less landing lag without it) and actually has pushback when shielded making it even safer. EDIT: After actually trying it out in matches myself it doesn't seem quite as punishable as I thought if you space it right. Bair's still technically safer though.

1:26 - As Dedede, you have four midair jumps, a superarmored upB, and a mallet with large disjointed hitboxes to safely hit people with. You can safely chase most characters offstage and ensure they won't be making it back without endangering your own life. In this instance, a shff bair offstage would've stagespiked Falco for an easy KO and you would've made it back with jumps to spare.

1:47 - See 1:26

2:18 - Dair is even more punishable than fair on landing, and doesn't really get you much reward unless you're spiking offstage. Fastfall nair here would've combo'd into utilt or uair for more damage as well as putting Falco above you, and if it didn't connect you'd at least have less landing lag.

2:37 - See 2:18. Your opponent wasn't expecting the pushback and again could've dash grabbed, so you lucked out here.

3:01 - I love the ff uair read here.

3:19 - Very good use of gordo. Goes without saying of course, since it won you the match!

In summary,
Too much use of: gordo at neutral, sh fair as approach, fsmash and dash attack particularly below KO percents
Not enough of: shield, grabs (particularly dthrow), (pivot) ftilt, chasing offstage

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

SuperDS64

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SuperDS64
3DS FC
1676-3810-3884
0:52 - Unsure if you're unaware of this or if you were just expecting to land onstage, but you can press up during Dedede's upB to cancel the jump and enter the helpless state, allowing you to control your descent as well as grab the ledge while falling. However, it would've been a much better idea to drop down and recover low to sweetspot the ledge with your upB; Dedede's upB is really punishable when landing onstage.
Just to clarify, I had a lapse in mind where I pressed B instead of up to cancel, and then panicked. I have rectified this in Training, and rarely use the jump to land on the stage.

Everything else from everyone, thank you for the good advice. Any more opinions would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
FSmash and Gordo too often is the first thing i notice. Especially against someone that can throw projectiles or in this case a reflecting ability you should never throw a gordo across the map like that unless its to prevent a recovery (nice one at the end btw).
FSmash is ungodly hard to land because its so slow. Typically you want to reserve that for aerial approaches since its really hard to avoid if theyre in the air and you time it right. Better alternatives though. I tend to ignore that smash personally.

Dont forget when you use UpB and you are not rising into the ledge, you will NOT grab the ledge unless you cancel. You suicided even though you flew by the ledge. Watch that.

You have pretty good timing with his aerials.

Dont hold his third A attack (the drill thing). Especially if your opponent has racked up some damage they fly out of your grip pretty fast and can retaliate or get away from the final smack.
In fact if you can get the timing down, its better to jabjab-downtilt than the full jab combo. More damage and at less than 80% you can usually follow up with a fair or two. It takes a lot of practice though, i keep getting the timing wrong and continuing with the jabs.

Top Bottom