• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Critique my crappy Doc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
You're doc is pretty darn good dude. On the whole inconsistency part, I know how you feel... I'm about the same skill level as you... you might be a little better actually but I'm working on my consistency, punish game, follow ups, and just straight up execution.

I really didn't see that much stupid stuff. The reasons why you were dieing was mostly because you took an unnecessary risk in situations that weren't favoring you... like in your last match, you lost your second stock because you were on the ledge at 110% and you needed to get back on stage and get that kill on puff... what you did was ledge hop into fair and that's a very risky move at that percent. You lost another stock in your second game by using a double jump that you didn't need to use. You weren't even off stage, you were above the stage and you could've just safely landed. There were definitely times where you threw out an unnecessary fair. I don't remember which match but in either match 1 or 2 you tried fairing puff when she was at 0% or low %. It's not going to kill, it's not going to combo, and it's risky. You should've done an up air or dair, something that you could combo into and build percent then go in for the kobe. I think the only reason why you were dieing was because you made a poor decision in a bad situation.

Also, when you're getting knocked off stage but close enough to where all you need to do is just grab or up b to grab, i feel like you lose double jump a lot when you don't need to. I see you like to protect yourself with pills and tbh i'd rather just go for ledge and save my dj. Doc's recovery is a resource management game. You got dj, up b, down b, cape, and air dodge. 3 of those, being dj, down b, and cape, are not coming back until you touch the stage and using any one of those 3 is a big deal. When you double jump to throw out a couple pills, you just lost 1/5 of your recovery options and it's not coming back. When you're that close to the stage I don't think it's a very good use. Now if you were way way off stage and you're going to use every single one of your recovery options and you need protection then go ahead and use it.

I can tell you love using fair because damn those were some of the best kobe kills i have ever seen. And duuuude... those pill to kobe kills... too good. But i think you need to use kobe less and use dsmash more, because there were some situations where all you had to do was dmash and puff would've died or at least would've gotten her to back off. I'd say dsmash is one of doc's best move, because it's fast, has decent range for doc, covers both the front and the back, it's recovery times isn't bad, and it's a pretty consistent kill move. Sometimes I'll just randomly throw out a dsmash and people will run into it. My motto for Doc: When in doubt, down smash.

Your spacing is good
your pills were good
and you knew when to go in for the kill
Those three things are the key to beating puff
Honestly you should have 2-0'd that puff

I'm not that good at talking about the puff match up and if you showed us a video of you playing against another character like marth or fox I could give you more feed back and don't be afraid to show us a set where you lost. Those are probably the best videos to get advice.

Good job man! Keep making Doc look like a boss!

Last edited:

Zonak

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the response man!

1. I'm definitely a risk taker. I love going against the odds a lot and it usually does bite me. Normally I'm not usually so F-air happy, but I felt against Puff the hitbox was the best for spacing since it goes out a bit further.

2. Yea, I definitely need to work on getting back to the stage a bit, especially against Puff. Normally I'm pretty good about it, but I think I was respecting the b-air a bit too much and it hurt me. I had a goal to recover low using the stage, but I think it was a case of underestimating my opponent and it cost me a stock.

3. Haha, thanks! I feel my pill combos are some of the best when I'm really feeling myself. As for d-smash, I think I didn't opt for it too much mostly due to Puff. Normally I love using it all day long, but this is one of the cases where I don't find it as useful.

Unfortunately, it's my only Melee match on the tubes. The only other matches I have are random PM games from when I was pretty bad. Hopefully I can get some more games in on stream when I go back to the Tunes this Tuesday.

And I'm gonna keep stylin hard. ;)

Logz

Smash Cadet
Crappy Doc? Let's not be modest here. You haven't seen how bad my doc is lol... But all in all, I think you played the puff match up the way it was meant to be played. I would have done the fairs to space as well. They work really well to get some damage on puff if you can get a shield poke in with it. And let's be honest, Doc can't really combo puff that well, so doing a few fairs at low % isn't necessarily a bad thing, but like super said above, incorporate some more uairs and dairs into the mix for the puff match up. I liked the way you used your pills. However, against super floaties like puff and peach, I would have been spamming pills all day. The point of spamming as many pills as you can is to 1) bait them and 2) rack up damage. These 2 things are very important so you can set up with one of docs kill moves. Another thing to note is you should try the dthrow -> fair on jiggs more often. If you guess their DI correctly, you should be able to kill every time unless they are at a very high %.

Zonak

Smash Cadet
Yea, I definitely don't spam enough. I generally like to fight and only use pills to either give myself a moment to think or when I feel pressured and need to wall them out.

I got a couple of games recorded this weekend and got wrecked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kC9Y4Tjr_c Kevorkian vs C!Z

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stvDV478Nfo Kevorkian vs Internet Explorer

In the game against C!Z, I realize I made a lot of bad approaches and the SD game 2 didn't help my mental state. I think I just get frustrated in this matchup, but FD makes it feel more bearable.

I had to play IE immediately afterwards, which sucked because I did so poorly against C!Z. I kept forgetting that Link can actually shield grab Doc after dsmash and IE pointed out that I always jumped after hitstun, which forced me to just get combo'd so hard. IE is definitely a much better player than I am though, and he definitely outplayed me hard.

Kidney Thief

Smash Journeyman
First off I don't think you need advice on technical stuff as you seem to be quite capable and if you want to learn that stuff you'd know exactly where to get that info at your level of play. I think what would help more than anything is to believe more in yourself. I felt like I was watching a really good Doc that lacked the confidence to do what it wanted to do. Perhaps all you really need is to work on your mindset when you enter a game. Please don't take this the wrong way. It's much better to enter a fight with a calm mind. It gives you more special attack and special defense. :065: I wish you much improvement and a lot of success using my favourite character. I also think you should just practice movement outside of attacks when you're alone to be more fluid when the tournament comes. Well here it is, I tried to critique a better doc than me. I hope you can take whatever you can from it hahah. :upsidedown:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom