• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Critique my Bowser!

Bragi

Smash Apprentice
I've been posting here for a while, trying to hone my skills as a Bowsah player, and I've wanted to post some vids for a long time. Well, I finally have them. They're just friendlies, home game stuff, (I haven't had a chance to record any tournament matches, unfortunately) and they're all less than 3 minutes long because they're replays, but they're all I have.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3p1TX5Wtj8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4RdRrUsgv4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47GlEc6xN-0

Edit: Here are some matches that are longer and closer, and a bit fairer to my poor friend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riHon3qfMGI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnOr1GFciDA

Any and all comments are appreciated. Thanks to anyone who watches.

Miles.

Smash Champion
You seem decent. Matches werent that long and half suicides.

Good use of fortress.

That ROB needs to use his gyro more. (Just in case he is your friend.)

Also Flamebreath is pretty good against ROB.

Crzy

Smash Journeyman
You played pretty solid to me...too bad I can't say the same for the ROB. :p

Looks like you've played that guy(or ROBs in general) a lot because you knew when he'd laser and Dsmash. Only thing I would suggest would be to add Claw Hopping and more AC Fairs(I seen a few but I seen WAY more Upsmash than anything).

Try learning the timing for your Tilts(Dtilt lol) after the CG because they'll be instant killers if he's at the edge a lot. The CG timing was good, but you didn't follow up much. Though if that's wifi I understand. :p

B!squick

Smash Master
Copy and paste what Crzy said here. That R.O.B. really wasn't up to par with your Bowser, which looks pretty dam good. You should take it to a tourny or something.

Bragi

Smash Apprentice
Thank you guys very much for the comments. I do actually use the fire on R.O.B. a decent bit, but for some reason that wasn't in evidence in these vids. Same goes for the Dtilt out of ground release--that's easily one of my favorite kill methods.

I would really like to Klaw Hop more against R.O.B., but it seems like I usually get punished for it. As Sudai said in the matchup discussion, R.O.B.'s laser and gyro eat me up when I try it. It really sucks. Maybe I'm just not doing it right.

And Jaydeth, I really appreciate it, and all the help you've given me on this forum. I actually have taken Bowser to two tournaments, but haven't made any kind of a real dent in the rankings. Hopefully that will change some time soon.

Sudai

Stuff here
Yyeeaahh, Tyr, that ROB is poop. At the next tourney I'll make sure I get some matches of you recorded. Just remind me because I never set up my recording equipment unless someone specifically ask me. XP

As for people saying to Klaw Hop against ROB? lol no. Ground approach against ROB so you can power shield his projectiles. Klaw Hopping is just asking us to give you damage.

Crzy

Smash Journeyman
I didn't mean against ROB, I meant in general because I didn't see any at all. And Claw Hopping might have worked against that ROB since he wasn't spamming Gyro. XD

Bragi

Smash Apprentice
It's interesting that you say that, because I do indeed feel like I need to do more Klaw-based stuff with Bowser, more aerial stuff in general. I used to do it more often, but I think I've played against R.O.B. for so long that I've been forced to play a very grounded Bowser, and I can't get out of that mindset. I need to watch some more Vex matches, I think...

zombiebrothel

Smash Rookie
your pretty good. Try to dodge a bit more, and other than that, your timing just needs to be a bit tighter. also, i know its been said so im sorry, but i feel like its worth repeating: don't forget about your neutral b. its a great attack that can easily catch opponents for decent damage when timed right, and has the advantage at keeping them at arms length

Bragi

Smash Apprentice
I know what you mean about my timing, especially as regards the grab release regrab/Side B stuff. I feel like I can only pull it off about half the time. If anyone could give me any tips on how to tighten that up I would be eternally grateful. Quite often I either rush in too late and my opponent spot dodges or I smash the control stick and Bowser just stands there. I'm having trouble nailing that timing.

Phiddlesticks

Smash Lord
The main thing I noticed was that you were being very predictable with the simple things. For example, if you were hanging on the edge and your opponent was anywhere near you, it seemed like you instinctively ledge attacked every time. Another example is, whenever you are hit up, you almost always air dodge back to the ground. I just think that, in general, you should mix up your game.

You also barely used uptilt at all, if ever :x That's like Bowser's best kill move. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you weren't using it because you weren't playing any games on stages with a lot of platforms :p (I did see that one game you have on Lylat, but I think it's safe to say you really didn't have any opportunities to kill with uptilt)

Bragi

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I definitely need to break the habit of ledge-attacking all the time.

As regards my habit of air-dodging back to the ground, what should I do in its place? I feel like that position is one of Bowser's most vulnerable, and if I can get to the ground I can at least have a Fortress waiting for my opponent.

Phiddlesticks

Smash Lord
You could, for example, klaw before you hit the ground and then double jump away (unless the klaw grabs them of course). You could also possibly use a Firebreath. You're right, Bowser IS most vulnerable when he's above his opponent, but you still have more options than air dodging. Honestly though, as long as air dodging back to the ground is working, there's no reason to stop it. Once your opponents start punishing it though (like, shielding and waiting for the air dodge and then grabbing you afterwards so they can throw you back up), try using a klaw or firebreath as anti-shield measures.

Actually, the same thing goes with ledge attacks. Since you weren't being punished for it in your videos, you had no reason to stop doing it. Just make sure it doesn't develop into a habit that you do against better players :p

Crzy

Smash Journeyman
New matches are better and it looks like you took everyone's advice.

Only thing I would do different is Fire edgeguard him when he camps the edge like that. It would rack damage on him and you might get a chance to get him caught in it long enough to make him run out of fuel(if he used a lot recovering).

Top Bottom