• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Critique My Bird

CasteHappy//

Smash Apprentice
A bad habit you have is doing empty full jumps, or full jump Dairs. They punish that a lot.
Also you spot dodge a little too much sometimes. Work on those two~

dope.

Smash Rookie
I noticed a few things:
  • predictable ledge get ups. these are fairly common with most falcos from fresh cut to top player. try mixing it up. the walljumps are fairly easy to stuff so be careful and use them sparingly.
  • antsy spot dodges. i suggest trying some dash dance shield stops, this way you can shine oos and you have less chance to get clipped with an aerial. once they start picking up on the shields and attempt grabs, switch back to spotdodge shines. those are the true rps mix ups.
  • some of the time, you went for uptilts that were very poorly spaced. this is an easy fix, just grind out some combos on fd and integrate uptilts when you know they cannot jump/attack first. it does have major priority but you did get punished fairly hard for them.

I will try to integrate the shine turnaround bair you used off the ledge though. it looks like a good wall when they're waiting on a side platform.

CeeLew

Smash Rookie
Disclaimer: I am by no means a professional nor do i consider myself to be good at the game. This is just what I saw and anything that I note can definitely be misinformation.

I'm just going to analyze the first game vs. Oreo for you, but i'm going to be purposefully vague because I think you will learn better if you figure out the entire mistake yourself.
0:32 - The walljump to sideB was the best option in that situation, but it was unfortunate that you put yourself in that situation to begin with. If the Fox had quicker reactions, you were dead no matter what option you chose. Ask yourself, how did that happen? What should I have done differently before then to not put myself in that position?

0:54 - 0:59 - Great execution with that combo. The Fox DI'd in and you punished accordingly.

1:02 - Why are you at the edge of the stage at 72%? Yes the Fox has invincibility so he will catch you no matter where you are at the stage, but during his invincibility you need to be center stage and probably shielding. At 72%, your goal is to avoid his invincibility and get as much percent as you can afterwards until he wins an exchange.

1:12 - Good awareness.

1:20 - Again, if the Fox had better reactions and positioning, you would have been dead with a shine spike. You had plenty of recovery opportunities and you chose a high risk, low reward option. What was the more optimal recovery(ies)?

1:32 - You fortunate son of a gun.

1:35 - This is what you should of done @ 1:02, but I still would recommend being closer to center stage.

1:44 - Missed L-cancels and shine-grab opportunities. If you have 20XX, practice shine-grabs through shadowboxing.

1:55 - I view dash attacks like Marth's counter. If you use it too much, it's predicatble and avoidable, but use it only once and it can turn the tide. Unfortunately, dash attacking during invincibility was not your best option there plus it put you towards the edge of the stage and in return you got shined and are now in a horrible position.

2:04 - Good awareness again, the wall jump could maybe have been punished but it worked well.

2:08 - 2:12 - You're having a hard time getting out of this corner. He's attacking a lot and applying pressure mostly on your shield. How could you have gotten out of this pressure more easily?

2:28 - No need to run off the edge and try to shine him. You had enough time to turn around and either down smash or Bair reacting to whatever recovery option he chose.

2:52 - 2:58 - Your bad habit almost lost you the game. What's the best option during this sequence? (hint: starts with L, ends with "edge dashing")

3:11 - Double jump Dair may have sealed the game for you, unfortunately you chose to u-tilt which was fine, but hit stun + reaction time was not enough to follow up.

Hope this helps

MH | Joeschmo

20XX Enthusiast
vs. Oreo
0:27-29

Okay right off the bat there is an issue. You that the Fox was running of onto the side platform, yet you decided to chase. Don't do that, don't try to force an attack when the other player, especially a fast character like Fox, is looking to escape like that. As Falco you wont't be able to catch him (and it isn't what you should be doing in this match up) , rather you should have just rushed to the right side platform to apply pressure and gain positional advantage of being under him. Instead you are now above him on the right platform/near the ledge while he has center stage.

0:38-45

You did good stuffing him with that up-tilt however you shouldn't have even went for a dair assuming that is what you were going for with that full hop (side note: practice more whatever that was wavedash, shops or whatever) rather than go for the dair, should have went with a late nair into shine, or even a wavedash into shine jc grab would have been a much safer option, would have netted you into a possible platform tech chase (or tech chase). Then at :41 Oreo got stuck in shine, which was a free grab. D-tilt wasn't necessarily a bad option choice however, since he was stuck there in shine for a few frames and then shielded it would have been way better to just have grabbed. Then you got pressured, though he missed his l-cancel on his nair, which was an easy punish. At :45 again he got stuck in shine.

This is where I am going to just stop. You need to really work on reacting quicker. Try practicing reacting on CPU's (punishing). Don't take it that practicing against CPU's is good, but unless you have a practice partner this is your best option. Take those hits as far as possible. I can kind of understanding you not grabbing as much as getting a shine is much more rewarding for Falco, however by not grabbing you are really missing out on a lot of easy punishes. You need to work on recognizing your positioning relative to your opponent, while it may not be a big punish just, securing center stage, putting yourself in an advantageous position will help exponentially in you dictating the pace of the match.

Nickel

Smash Rookie
Not going to give a very large critique as i only watched the first 2 games. You do lots of empty spot dodges, on ledge you approach with a dair almost 100% of the time making you very predictable. You kept approaching with walljump side b continuously making you even more predictable. Those are the things that really stood out to me and what need to be practiced

kevlar

Smash Cadet
I didn't watch too much, but it looks as if you push when it is unsafe and try to be more aggressive than you should, for example chasing him like Joeschmoe said. Also, when you have him cornered, you don't have to push immediately. Stay patient and keep him there with lasers, aerials and tilts and the damage will come naturally.

Top Bottom