• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Critique me please!

tm

Smash Ace

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
It seemed like you were often just throwing out moves with no real purpose other than crappy spacing. If you re-watch the beginning of the captain falcon video for example, he literally does nothing until you throw out a fair that appears to be an attempt at spacing that's l-canceled. But even with the lag time reduced, the guy just waited until your hit box wasn't in his path and then proceeded to give you a quick 24%. There are many other examples in the other videos, but I think this one illustrates what not to do the best.

Incorporate usmash in your game a little more. Sometimes it's a better alternative to uair. dair also needs to be used more. The hitbox is surprisingly useful, especially agains't dash attackers and poor rolls. Punish that ****.

Renth

Smash Hero
I've been playing with taki for years, he's very under-rated.

Will advice later

WINK ;)

Thankful for today
I am going to critique the one where you got bodied... first off though I would like to say you got better with time but still it was not enough. Most likely a lot of your **** ups were just nerves. I could be wrong but if you go into your matches with confidence you will do significantly better. I promise, confidence helps. It wont win you matches but it will keep you cool and calm to make better decisions.

But as for mistakes, you would double jump alot into aerial which is really predictable when Marth is standing right in front you just waiting to f-smash you. Other things is just l-canceling better but I feel like that might have been nerves too. My first tourney my tech skill was not as good as it was outside of the tourney cause I was so nervous.

Learn to dash dance well. People think you just run back and forth for nothing... Its a real thing to help you with mind games. As Ganon tech goes, waveland off platforms and just practice more.

Not to do shameless promotion here but I did notice this tournament was in Ohio so you are close to Frankfort, Ky (Kinda). I am throwing a tournament in Frankfort on May 24th. Just a heads up in you want to come :)

http://smashboards.com/threads/may-24-2014-what-a-smashing-time-frankfort-ky.348985/

WINK ;)

Thankful for today
Oh! Another thing I noticed is that you were not sweet spotting the ledge in some instances where Marth could not have spiked you. Learn the length of Ganon's recovery to sweet spot properly. Its very scary against Marth players since their spike is so simple. Just watch some Kage, Linguini, Bizzaro Flame (My fav), and others to see how they recovery, in what situations, against certain characters.

I will say beginner Marths will not go for the spike as much. They are not as confident but they WILL f-smash like crazy.... So, if you learn to sweet spot better you can recover, they will throw out an f-smash and you have just the right amount of time to roll or get back on stage at your own will.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Can't seem to find a match vs Peach in there yet but I haven't checked every bit of the video. I saw a match vs fox

4:07:00... watch those rolls toward fox like that. You gave him a free approach here but he wasn't there in time.
4:07:12... made the edgeguarding decision too soon. Where fox started using his up-B, you could have stood on the ledge with your back facing him, ready to bair the firefox if he goes straight toward you, or jump and uair him back down if he goes high. You had plenty of time to wait and react here.
4:07:30... be careful when going onto the top platform vs fox. He also read a few of your platform wavelands this match so don't get so predictable with them.... try jumping up there and just wavelanding straight down in place... you may bait an attack out of him since he's used to you wavelanding accross the platform.
4:08:16.... It wouldn't have hurt to go for a grab after landing that jab.
4:08:28... as soon as you hit him with that uair offstage you need to drop down to ground level and reverse uair spike the illusion. if he doesn't illusion and up-B's, pivot low ftilt him after you l-cancel the uair. And if he goes high just uair/fair him off the platform. You always want to be on ground level when preparing to edgeguard fox, unless you're on a platform ready to drop through and uair spike them or something.
4:08:32... try to instant uair fox every time he jumps on a platform over you. half the hits you guys get on each other are from the other person landing on a platform above the opponent.... try to minimize the time you are directly above your opponent, and uair him every time he's above you.
4:08:41.... after you jab the phantasm, your go-to move is shorthop offstage and calmly space a dair on his forehead.
4:09:50... another instance where he read your waveland on the top platform and hit you.
4:10:08... on any other stage he would have lived with that up-B after you jabbed him. It worked out here, but you could have wavedashed forward and low ftilt'd him for the KO.
4:10:54... when he uses his up-B that close to the ledge, do whatever you can to hit him. If you don't have time for a fair just uair him.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
STOP ROLLING. START WAVEDASHING. Srs.

You waveland strategically, but just about every time you roll, a wavedash would be better. When you're about to roll, ask yourself, "do I really need the invincibility frames right now?" The answer should be no a good majority of the time.

Also, a good rule of thumb is that you should never even consider a getup attack, getting up, or rolling from the ledge when you're <100%.

Learn to waveland from the ledge, it helps a lot

Do double aerials sometimes instead of double jump aerial

Stop using nair. Maybe as a combo extender, but your other aerials are better in just about all the situations you used it

Play out of your shield more. You can't stay in your shield the whole game. Be more aggressive. You're playing to the fox's advantage when you hide in your shield.

Grab more. And I don't just mean shield grab, I mean straight up grab. A good strategy with ganon is to pressure your opponent into shielding certain moves like fair, jabs, bair, ftilts, etc. That they can see coming a million miles away. And then once you've conditioned them to the timing of those moves, start coming in with grabs while they're busy shielding.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
Unfortunately, that peach was complete garbage so it'll be kind of hard to give you solid advice, but I'll tell you some things you should be watching out for against competent peaches. My main training partner is a peach/sheik, so I have some good experience in this matchup.

Don't be so eager to attack a peach sitting on a platform when you're below her. Dsmash will beat anything you throw at her. You can use this to your advantage, however. Try to bait out the downsmash and then hit with a uair, fair or usmash immediately after. If you're too slow, you will get hit by another dsmash.

Turnips...try to catch them more. It's hard to predict when she's going to throw them, so just jumping at her and pressing z, or even doing it on the ground is risky because if you miss, you whiff a move, and that's never good for ganon. I like to shield turnips, and then jump to catch them as they bounce off my shield, if the peach is far away enough. If you do this, try to estimate how much time it would take for the peach to get to you. Because a good peach will try to charge you before you can throw it. If she can't get to you in time, throw it and then followup with a fair. So many peaches will put their shields down after the turnip. And if it looks like they won't, you can grab.

On peach, you should be uairing d throws at low percentages. Maybe throw in a usmash at medium percentages if she ****s up the di (don't count on it) and a little higher it's best to do bairs off of dthrows if she dis behind you or stays above you. You chose uair off of dthrows a few times when you could've killed her with a bair, or at least put her way off stage.

Edgeguarding peach...reverse uair is your best friend, start using it more. Wall of pain reverse uairs strategically and peach actually has a hard time getting back. The key is never to commit too much, or else she'll fast fall into the ledge. Also do not go for dairs when the peach is floating below you waiting to umbrella. I discovered this the hard way. What can happen is the she'll up-b, it'll beat anything you do, she'll fast fall right to the edge of the stage and dsmash. You'll eat a bunch of percent, maybe even be thrown off stage and be very unhappy. So whenever peach up-bs, never challenge it from above. Get the **** out of there before you eat 30%. You can, however try to fair her as soon as she's landed.

One last thing, in the neutral, dsmash-happy peaches will get ****ed if you challenge it with dair. Peaches are used to just auto-piloting dsmash to beat out approaches. Not against ganon :)

Superspright

Smash Lord
Can dair her when she's rising in UP-B. Gotta make the read though. SH dair actually can hit her if you aim for the center of her and do it rising so your legs are tucked over her. You'll take a hit sometimes but not eat the whole thing.

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
When peach is on a low platform, sometimes you can bait the dsmash with a short wd or wd in place and usmash, uair, or jump up and wL grab her.

Last edited:

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
Unfortunately that was a garbage luigi so it's hard to give you much criticism.

Roll less. You're wavelanding too much and it's often just unnecessary. If you're going to show off like that, at least do some faster wavelands that don't involve you jumping every time you leave the platform. Like on battlefield, you should learn how to waveland all around the platforms with only using one jump to reach the top platform from the bottom platforms. You could also maybe start using double jump aerials in your game.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Not only that, but double jumping into wavelands on lower platforms is faster than fulljumping up there. It requires faster fingers but its better.... and looks better.

....Poor luigi. You did the same waveland off the neutral/forward animation double jump EVERY TIME and he couldn't read it. Definitely try to get trickier with your wavelands.

Top Bottom