• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

critique, marth vs mk

C.J.

Smash Master
Too many dashes for no reason.

You chase him too far.

You give up stage control for no reason a lot.

Juggle/platform pressure better.

Your recovery is sloppy and your ledgeplay needs a lot more patience.

You don't FF properly a lot (see: almost every uair you did).

You attack into him way too often instead of maintaining spacing/control.

You hesitate on punishes (or spotdodge when he hits your shield for no reason and THEN try to punish) and then choose suboptimal punishments.

Your DI is super inconsistent.

Pick you GR options better/execute them better.

You throw out smashes for no reason a lot/at terrible spacings.

You need to not use your second jump. Ever.

Break your awful spotdodge habit.

You overcommit SO MUCH- especially with pivot grabs.

Seriously, stop forfeiting stage control for literally no reason.

Learn to ledge trap MK properly.

Read Pierce or Kadaj or someone's if, then guide vs MK.

(Re) Read the guide at the top of this forum I made.

Keys1281

Smash Journeyman
Situation-specific critique:

0:27 What C.J. said about giving up stage control. This happens beyond this point but I'll just mention it here.

0:30 spotdodging habit.

0:36 Not sure why you rolled behind him here--I'm assuming missed input.

0:55 good crossup imo. Could have maybe gone for Dair after? I didn't see any attempted Dairs from GR, so I'm just thinking you need to work on that one.

1:22 Fsmash was not the best option here. DB if anything, but he was already shielding.

1:39 makes me laugh. Counter? Don't go in there?

1:50 you were very vulnerable here. Uair has a lot of cooldown lag and should always be used FF'd if you're near the ground.

2:30 not sure why you Daired here but you lost a stock for it.

3:02 Upsmash would have been a good option here.

3:04 Upsmash was not a good option here.

3:06 Should have just finished your DB.

3:31ish You gave up a ton of stage for no reason.

3:44 Spotdodge habit.

4:17 " " .

5:11 Try not to use your second jump so early, and especially try not to land right next to your opponent. This alone probably cost you the match.

5:54 terrible DS. Not sure why that happened. I'm thinking your nerves got the better of you this set.

5:59 again, landing right next to your opponenet w/ an airdodge. Just take the ledge and be patient. You took 26% for that.

6:12 you had RCO lag here and took a Dsmash...ALWAYS do an aerial before you land after you've Up-B'd to the ledge to get rid of this ******** lag.

6:30ish Good patience at the ledge but you had terrible DI and should have lost your stock around 6:35.

6:48 Pivot grab could have been good here.

7:00 You should be WALKING mostly around this part, but generally walking is really good w/ Marth.

7:06 Why pivot grab?

7:14 Good Dtilt.

7:19 Good Up-B.

7:23 Random smashes again, like CJ said.

7:35 Could you have DS'd earlier?

Overall, this is just some specific situational bat habits I noticed. Mostly the random smashes, spotdodging, jumping into the **** w/ airdodges, and letting yourself get gimped. Hopefully this was somewhat helpful.

C.J.

Smash Master
Yes FF means fast fall.

No, reacting to ledge options is super simple because they're so restricted. You can stand at a spacing to be able to react/limit every option characters have (sans Falco and MK because they're dumb).

Go to training mode, start w/ Ganon, memorize every ledge animation they have/the range of their attacks from the ledge/the distance of their rolls/etc and work your way up. The easiest damage you can get is ledge traps- you NEED to be amazing at them.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Didn't watch that vid but in general you overcommit at times and go in way more than you should and end up taking bairs in the face. I think you're really good and you're so close to beating Peach ;)

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Oh thanks for the compliment. The truth is I probably caught you off guard since I don't play tryhard campy like everybody else. I'm a scrub for being aggressive in Barlw.

Top Bottom