• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Critique] Help my Link grow!

MOP_Benji

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1633-4173-0827
Yo, my name is Benji. I'm now a new Smash player, but I'm not new to the fighting game scene, I'd probably understand most fighting game jargon. I'm a member of a team called 'MashOnPad' (MOP) that specializes in most Street Fighter titles and other wide varieties of fighting games.

Anyway... I, a few members of my team and a lot of my close friends have been looking into playing this game on a competitive level. lol I guess you could say that this year's Evo performance for Melee dragged me into the hype. I have decided to start with the latest smash game for the 3ds and I'll definitely be getting the Wii U version. And the best part is that I have an offline scene! meaning that my friends and I can find some competitive offline matches and even maybe tourneys.

I've picked up Link. He's about 5 days old as I write this. I've heard from other Smash players that Link has always been a sub-par character, some even saying that he just down-right sucks compared to other characters in previous games. However, I've heard that this may be the best Smash title that Link is in. But that isn't the real reason, though; even before playing this game competitively, I've tinkered with games such as Project M and Melee and people say that I have a knack for Link for some reason, so I made a pledge to pick up Link in this newest Smash game.

So what's my point? Well, I'm planning on doing a series of online replays and possibly some offline matches to help my Link grow. This is not only a call-out to all the Link players out there, it's a call-out to all high level Smash players that know a thing or two about this game. I've been working hard and having fun trying to find out great tips and improvement options. This is my first video, and these are a couple of replays from a few days ago.

xD I know my Link may look fresh and cringe worthy to some of you, but I'm looking for some great criticism and game-changing tips on really cleaning up my Link and conditioning my meta. Thank you for taking the time to read all of this, and enjoy the video.

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
Can't watch the vid but yeah Link is MUCH better in this compared to past games.I suggest using the Link sub-forum under smash 4 character discussion.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Needs more Zair and less rolling. Loving the arrow usage, though. Also, Dsmash is a safer option for punishing rolls and not Fsmash. It's faster and sends opponents in a semi-spike trajectory in this game.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
You're doing great so far based on the vid. Great spacing with projectiles and good inside game. The only thing I noticed was that you used the arrows inside at bad times but only a couple of times. Also in the second match, you went nuts at one point with the jabs. And the rolling should be simmered down a little bit. Other than that, well done for only five days in!

Honestly, Link is the kind of character that has so many options by switching between close - long range game that will allow decent matches with even his worst matchups... as long as you are aware of the opponents' abilities (projectile-reflects, ground-air game capabilities, etc.) For example, against palutena, you'll want to use less projectiles from in front of her since she's capable of reflecting. Throwing bombs from above seem to not be an issue though. So for a character like Link, that is all entirely possible.

Post more vids if you can.

Last edited:

MOP_Benji

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1633-4173-0827
You're doing great so far based on the vid. Great spacing with projectiles and good inside game. The only thing I noticed was that you used the arrows inside at bad times but only a couple of times. Also in the second match, you went nuts at one point with the jabs. And the rolling should be simmered down a little bit. Other than that, well done for only five days in!

Honestly, Link is the kind of character that has so many options by switching between close - long range game that will allow decent matches with even his worst matchups... as long as you are aware of the opponents' abilities (projectile-reflects, ground-air game capabilities, etc.) For example, against palutena, you'll want to use less projectiles from in front of her since she's capable of reflecting. Throwing bombs from above seem to not be an issue though. So for a character like Link, that is all entirely possible.

Post more vids if you can.
Thanks. And yeah, I've got a few more replays that I'll upload tomorrow fighting a solid C.Falcon and my first Zero-suit Samus.

LightLelouch89

Smash Cadet
I think using projectiles against Pauletena can work to your advantage, if you use them safely (as in have your shield up in time to block the returning projectiles) and for the purpose of mind games (which, from what I've experienced so far, the toss canceling technique helps in spades). A lot of people will find themselves mashing reflect at random moments in the hopes of getting lucky.

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
I've mained Link since melee, and started working on playing at a competitive level since brawl. That said, you've obviously surpassed my abilities in the five days you've been playing compared to the several years I've have. Props to you dude, keep it up.

MOP_Benji

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1633-4173-0827
Here are two more replays, both from my 3rd day of playing Link. I've added some text to commentate the video to tell you what my thought process was throughout these matches. In the next video, I might decide to add vocal commentary with a microphone so that you can listen to my voice whilst watching the match instead of looking at both the text and the match. I'll also be looking at more recent replays next time seeing as I've been playing Link for almost a week and a half now, and the replays in this video are from my 3rd day.

Now that I've got those things off my chest, let's talk about these matches. As said in the video, they were my first matches fighting those characters. Characters like those seem to have overwhelming strength and offense. Any tips on these particular matchups? And also, is there any notable information about Link's good and bad matchups? You know, other than "Sonic is fast, stop letting him be fast" lol. Anyway, enjoy the video. The next video should be out in a minimum of two days. :)

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
Against Palutena, Link is the better camper. She can only reflect so much but you can sit and charge your arrow all day if needed. Patience is actually your best bet against someone that camps that hard. Also, I'm pretty sure that zair reaches past the wall to hit her so you could have been safely using that to land hits and even assist in your spacing game.

I want to give you props too though. Your reads on the gale pull were pretty awesome. Just keep on studying your own abilities as Link and I think you'll find a lot of answers on your own. But if you still need specific help, why not go to the Link MU thread or the Q&A thread?
Link Matchup Index
Link Community Q&A

It's also been a while since I've fought ZSS, but I'm pretty sure that the stun gun hits like right at Link's Hylian shield. You should be able to block a lot of her attacks with it. If not, just short hop some arrows or boomerang to get her to back off with that stuff. Then, when she's up close jabs and down-smash punishment will wreck her world. Of course, she likes to attack from above too, but that's an easy thing to deal with shield grab and/or up smash to punish.

MOP_Benji

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1633-4173-0827
Against Palutena, Link is the better camper. She can only reflect so much but you can sit and charge your arrow all day if needed. Patience is actually your best bet against someone that camps that hard. Also, I'm pretty sure that zair reaches past the wall to hit her so you could have been safely using that to land hits and even assist in your spacing game.

I want to give you props too though. Your reads on the gale pull were pretty awesome. Just keep on studying your own abilities as Link and I think you'll find a lot of answers on your own. But if you still need specific help, why not go to the Link MU thread or the Q&A thread?

It's also been a while since I've fought ZSS, but I'm pretty sure that the stun gun hits like right at Link's Hylian shield. You should be able to block a lot of her attacks with it. If not, just short hop some arrows or boomerang to get her to back off with that stuff. Then, when she's up close jabs and down-smash punishment will wreck her world. Of course, she likes to attack from above too, but that's an easy thing to deal with shield grab and/or up smash to punish.
Thanks a lot, man. All of this stuff is well appreciated! And I'll definitely be checking out those MU threads

TFofTruth

Smash Rookie
Yo, enjoyed your videos, and I thought Thriller was a nice choice for Captain Falcon. I don't have much advice to offer other than to start throwing in more down smashes and grabs. For your first few matches though, you seem to be improving rapidly.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
That match with Zero Suit and Falcon were great. You're right though. Link does have a bit more trouble with spammy characters like Falcon. However, I'm really impressed. You play exactly how I play my Link. You never sit on the projectiles like a lot of people do, but you're also not afraid to use them if the opponent gets too far after a good hit or throw. Looking better and better, good job.

MOP_Benji

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1633-4173-0827
Yo, enjoyed your videos, and I thought Thriller was a nice choice for Captain Falcon. I don't have much advice to offer other than to start throwing in more down smashes and grabs. For your first few matches though, you seem to be improving rapidly.
That match with Zero Suit and Falcon were great. You're right though. Link does have a bit more trouble with spammy characters like Falcon. However, I'm really impressed. You play exactly how I play my Link. You never sit on the projectiles like a lot of people do, but you're also not afraid to use them if the opponent gets too far after a good hit or throw. Looking better and better, good job.
Great to hear that I'm not doing anything TOO wrong lol. Anyway, it has almost been a month now since I started playing. I would've uploaded sooner, but I wanted to compare my play style through a longer time period rather than a couple of days. I honestly think I have gotten used to this game a lot more now; I'm losing a lot less and I can determine the fine line between a new player and an experienced one. Hopefully when the Wii U version comes out, I can give the Brawl and Melee veterans a run for their money lol

Red5_snt

Smash Cadet
NNID
Red5_snt
3DS FC
5429-7893-3202
Question - is there a specific place to upload videos for critique or should I just post mine here too? Don't want to clutter up the boards.

MOP_Benji

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1633-4173-0827
I think there is a specific thread for that; I created this one by accident and I just decided to go with it lol

Demacrez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Demacrez
3DS FC
3583-0929-3994
Man, it's been a while since I've been here but thanks to the Sm4sh hype I just had to come back! Seeing your videos, I'm new to Link in this version so I won't be much help for critiqueing but all in all, you're playing him very well!

I've been playing Link since the original Smash and never left his side so knowing he's better (as well as feeling better) it's nice to see a competitive player pick him up.

As far as your videos, the only thing I'd have to say is keep Boomerang sparingly especially against speedy characters like C. Falcon. You were right to use projectiles at him at the distance but once he gets in start using fast normals (But you were already doing this). I usually don't use full auto combo unless I know I got a hit in since the last strike is a bit unsafe on block.

I haven't heard a lot on bomb dropping but if it works for you, keep it up! I prefer throwing them since enemy contact doesn't hurt you now if you're close to the explosion. Also, if your opponent is very aggressive when landing, just punishing them with a dash Up Smash. It has a high priority and is a near garuantee KO at around 100%. Hope that helps!

Top Bottom