• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Critique 'Em!

gabeheadman

Smash Rookie
Two matches:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U8-Dq8sUhLI <---- Me Losing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HAZZ2oSLH_0 <---- Counterpick

If you only want to take the time to watch one, please watch the loss and comment on that. There are some glaringly obvious mistakes, like the constantly missed chaingrabs. Some ideas on tendencies and things to work on to be less predictable would be amazing. I fall victim to sidestepping a lot.

Also, the 5 minute cut out is due to my shareware video converter. My apologies.

Thanks for your time.

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
Well first off, your IC's are way too predictable (but you probably already knew that). You also need to protect your Nana alot more better than that. You also need to learn how to desynch, majority of their tricks relies on this. Also, learn the Dair chainthrow as well.

You should go back and look at the sticky threads.

May I suggest studying these videos:

Double Vision: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU3NDDwt4M4

look at this video when you learn the basics: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZl37aPLFOk&feature=related

Any questions just PM me or ask here. I'm sure there are many IC players who will give you advice. Hope this helps a little.:)

gabeheadman

Smash Rookie
!

Thanks terrorist. got the dair chain throw down mostly pat now and working on the desynching. videos were a tremendous help.

Binx

Smash Master
Tomorrow I'll take a look at them and do a crazy in depth one like I did for the other guy where I got no appreciative comments -.-;;

Binx

Smash Master
General Advice

Vary your recovery, work on smooth wavedashes, be more patient during tech chases, work on chain throws. Learn to do wavedashes onto the stage. You make a lot of mistakes some of which are very large and some of which aren't I didn't get to this until pretty late and didn't want to spend another half hour finishing the advice but what I did should be enough to get you to another level of play, good luck.

Individual fixes
  • 10 seconds - You short hop an Ice Block, when you short hopped at this distance you are relatively safe from all followups a fox could do presume you a) don't do any aerial or any "B" move or b) use an auto canceled bair. You did neither Ice block was THE worst possible choice out of a short hop at this point in the game because its easily punishable even if it is not expect because the landing lag and projectile speed are both so terrible.
  • 12 seconds - You do a standing Ice Block, once again probably THE worst possible move to use in this scenario because of the easy of being punished, even in the best of circumstances the fox could have done a retreating laser and gotten 3 free damage and then block for no disadvantage and worse it could lead to a weak nair that you wouldn't have time to block and a shine putting nana at the edge and you in a questionable position. The correct option here is to pick a safe movement option or approach with a shield or waveshield/smash.
  • 14 seconds - Sigh...
  • 15 seconds - Good start but you misspace your grab attempt, obviously something to work on, with the spacing you had a downsmash or shield would have been the best options.
  • 19 seconds - You roll away here, I would have just shielded and then reacted to what he chose to do here, in this situation you were in lag time from the roll, and yes completely safe, but your Nana was in danger and because of your choice you were not able to punish the fox for attack Nana. If you had been shielding and waiting patiently for Fox to react you would have had an easy wavesmash into a possible edgeguard here.
  • 20 seconds - You miss time/space your approach here, the correct option would have been to either do what you did but slightly sooner before he had an opportunity to jump, or you could have dash danced for a mistake or waveshield or short hopped a uair.
  • 21 seconds - You jump, you should have either attacked fox very quickly if you expected him to go for Nana, or approached very quickly and been ready to dodge his attack if you expect him to switch to you as a target, either way you would have faired much better than this pointless full hop.
  • 21 seconds - You hammer squall... don't use this for an approach.
  • 27 seconds - You land a throw and fail to follow up on your tech chase opportunity, in fact even if the fox had indeed teched in place there your second grab would have been too early and easily punished, be a little more patient in tech chasing opportunities, try to guess what he will do right when you grab based on the place in the stage he is when you grab him this will reduce the time it takes you to react to their techs because you expect it already, if they do something else then oh well you are still safe.
  • 29 seconds - You grab again at air, you should have dash danced in this spot or turned and dashed at your opponent based on if you think he will go offensive or retreat at this time.
  • 34 seconds - You miss-space your dash attack.
  • 38 seconds - You roll towards your opponent, you rarely if ever want to do this because its SO easily punished if they don't jump the gun and attack you, this is a bad habit to have but a usefull maneuver if used very sparingly.
  • 42 seconds - You do another impatient tech chase, if you expect him to tech in place then act as if you know he will, the worst case scenario is you are wrong and you fail to punish, if you jump the gun on a forward smash though then the worst case scenario is YOU are punished INSTEAD of your opponent, so be patient during tech chases.
  • 48 seconds - Not a good time to use a dair it really can't outprioritize anything fox has in this position and it removes the element of surprise by using it so early, hold off a bit next time so you can leave other options open such as a fair a waveland, an airdodge, or even a dair lower to the ground where its more likely to connect.
  • 53 seconds - You could have airdodged past him, or fell towards the ledge based on if you think he will forward smash here, forward b however is very easily punished in this spot. Also had you saved your jump you could have DIed away from the stage and then jumped and forward b'd later or jumped and sweetspotted the ledge, or jumped and airdodged depending on if you think the fox will jump out and nair or shine spike or whatever.
  • 60 seconds - Another simple miss-space I like to use forward smashes more than other climbers i've seen for the range above me, a lot of people will jump at the last second when they see a climber wavedash at them and will get clipped by a fsmash.
  • 64 seconds - Another premature forward b, this has now reached habit status and at this point in the match I feel I would be able to very easily read your recovery patterns and exploit them.
  • 1:12 - You walk at him for some reason, a run will always put more pressure when you are invincible.
  • 1:18 - He was too low but you should have hogged the ledge just incase he went strait up and managed to make it.
  • 1:25 - Pointless and dangerous Ice Block
  • 1:27 - You use a roll to approach
  • 1:30 - A dash attack would have been better here, a crouch cancel would still have beaten in out but the same could be said for a tilt, also a dash attack would have the opportunity to put you in a tech chasing situation and with possible bad DI on your opponents part could lead to a grab combo.
  • 1:37 - You miss a guaranteed grab, this is a HUGE mistake learn to get those grabs when the opportunity arises.
  • 1:41 - You should have wavedashed onto the ledge this would put fox between you and the edge of the stage giving you a measure of control.
  • 1:43 - You start shooting off ice blocks, Fox could easily shield reflect and jump over these increasing his portion of stage control, its smarter to keep him cornered reducing his safe options, something to realize is that attacking is usually not safe, neither is jumping, jumping over someone, or running through them, when someone is on the edge and you are standing near them all the pressure is on them to act and escape, if you are patient most times you can take advantage of people in these situations and catch them making a huge mistake.
  • 1:45 - Short hopped uair would have been better.
  • 1:48 - Miss-spaced the forward smash

Binx

Smash Master
LOL PB&J Ayane nana lol.

Anyways yeah just keep practicing, its a huge advantage that you can record and analyze matches, just make sure and work on tech skill every day so that you have more options available, then practice punishing certain behaviors with certain actions and you will become a lot more fluid, basically if I block a marth forward smash I have trained myself to wavedash and get the guaranteed grab.

gabeheadman

Smash Rookie
Thanks for taking the time to do that Binx. So far that analysis has already got me thinking and working on some tendencies as well. You made me realize what i was doing wrong with the tech chasing as well as my recovery.

Sadly, I don't usually have the ability to record my matches. I just managed to get a hold of my friend's Dazzle for one night. All of those matches were from the same night, but I only just recently realized I had the fox match. I'm thinking about buying one though.

Once again, thanks for blowing a half an hour. It helped out a lot.

Binx

Smash Master
No problem, I'm looking forward to doing another one for you in a few weeks when you jump a few skill levels.

Top Bottom