• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Criticizing my Gameplay

BRUJO~

Smash Apprentice
Tbh man, you really need to get your tech skill and character control down. I know that's what everyone says, and it takes time, but at this point in your smash career that's the best advice you can receive. Your play also lacked certain mental game components that I could go into, but I can pretty much summarize it all in one sentence: Don't blindly approach. Don't just run in guns a-blazing with short hop nair, because at lower levels it is going to work 50% of the time and your going to get your approach stuffed 50% of the time. When playing against someone who is better than you, you will probably get your approaches stuffed 100% of the time because they will quickly catch on and know when/how you are going to approach. Instead, you should safely dash dance, and when you see an opening (i.e. your opponent whiffs a grab, or gets caught in a run turnaround when they dash dance) go in and punish accordingly. This is going to get you much farther than just throwing yourself in and hoping to get a hit. Sorry if this is harsh, I don't mean to be, it's just what you have to learn. I was in the same spot not too long ago.

As for what you can practice at home, you need to achieve consistency with the following things:

-L-cancel. Should be done with 100% consistency

-Aerial move>shine. The shine should come out AS SOON AS you are out of landing lag from your aerial, or else you are going to be shield grabbed. This happened to you multiple times

-Jump cancel grabs. Realistically every grab you do out of dash or run should be jump cancelled.

-Short hops. Harder than people give them credit for, but by FAR the most important skill you need to have. Master short hops first before anything else, because there is nothing more frustrating than losing a tournament set because you accidently full hopped.

-Connect up throw>upair. Get yourself the 20xx hack pack if you don't have it already, because the cpu's di randomly and normally Really, you (and everyone else in the world) need to practice executing your basic punishes.
Note that you said you were "missing the upthrow up air inputs." Connecting this combo is not simply an input that you can do regardless of what they do in response to the upthrow. Against most characters with up throw up air, you will have to make a read or react at most percents. Doc jumped to dodge almost every up throw up air you threw at him (because yes, he CAN jump out of it. It is not a true combo), so anticipate this next time you try to up air him. Instead of doing a full jump>double jump>up air like you did last time, try doing your full jump to bait out his double jump, then without doing an aerial just fall back to the stage or even better a platform. Now, you land and he is still above you, except he doesn't have his double jump to escape

These are just a couple of things. The best way for you to improve will be to go back and watch your video, but every time you get hit, rewind and find exactly where you went wrong, what he did right, and what you could have done differently to not let him hit you (pro tip: use the arrow keys to go back a few seconds and space bar to pause). Likewise, everytime you get a hit, do the same except flip flopped

Last edited:
Top Bottom