• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Creative ways to play SM4SH?

JellyNut

Smash Cadet
NNID
JellyNut
3DS FC
2595-1508-4102
I'm actually a little surprised that no-one has made a thread like this already, but I'd like to brainstorm creative ways to play Smash, such as "THE CHARACTER CHALLENGE"

Rules
1. Go into Smash mode. (Or 8-player/Special Mode if you want.)
2. Set match to whatever stock you're comfortable with.
3. Pick your character
4. Set ALL CPUs to that same character at LVL. 9
5. Try and win!

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
When I would solo train for Brawl I would use 3 Toon Links on the same team against me as Toon Link. Similar. It was tough but over a long time I actually was able to do it consistently.

ICXCM

Smash Cadet
I like to make WWE style story lines in my head as I play CPU matches. e.g. Mario and Peach lose a tag team, Mario flips out at Peach. Peach vs Mario, Peach schools Mario. Luigi steps up seemingly to back up his brother, but turns on him. Luigi & Peach vs Mario. The new couple tear Mario apart. Help then comes from the most unlikely of places. Bowser, still after Peach offers Mario a temporary truce. Luigi & Peach vs Mario & Bowser.

Surely I'm not the only one that does this? I've done it since 1999.

meebius

Smash Apprentice
Everyone has to play as a Pokemon
The only item on is pokeballs
Item drop very high
Go to a Pokemon Stage
Try to get as many legendaries as you can ^^

JellyNut

Smash Cadet
NNID
JellyNut
3DS FC
2595-1508-4102
I like to make WWE style story lines in my head as I play CPU matches. e.g. Mario and Peach lose a tag team, Mario flips out at Peach. Peach vs Mario, Peach schools Mario. Luigi steps up seemingly to back up his brother, but turns on him. Luigi & Peach vs Mario. The new couple tear Mario apart. Help then comes from the most unlikely of places. Bowser, still after Peach offers Mario a temporary truce. Luigi & Peach vs Mario & Bowser.

Yeah, I like to come up with stories behind my battles too, it's pretty fun!

ZomBiehn

Semi-Pro
NNID
ZomBiehnU
3DS FC
3153-5961-0908
When I would solo train for Brawl I would use 3 Toon Links on the same team against me as Toon Link. Similar. It was tough but over a long time I actually was able to do it consistently.
^ I agree I did this same training method in melee, but only using 3 lvl 9 Luigi's to face off too

9Blades

Smash Ace
NNID
Venusboshi04
3DS FC
4210-4504-3290
Stamina match (or 300% with time works too)
Pokeballs only
Items on Very high
Enjoy :p

Ultresmasher5

Smash Journeyman
Stamina match
items off
gravity high
Omega stage
Me (hero character) VS CPU (Nemesis)
Save replay after

Last edited:

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428
Just play a character you never thought to use and get good with them. It's so much fun cause you might find a great secondary or possibly a new main

ICXCM

Smash Cadet
Play level 1 CPU. Every stock they take, you have to drink until the next stock they take. Repeat.

Last edited:

Ultresmasher5

Smash Journeyman
Making up your own story is fun...
and if you save replays of it and you have a recording device... instant machinima! > . I

ICXCM

Smash Cadet
Making up your own story is fun...
and if you save replays of it and you have a recording device... instant machinima! > . I
As long as it was produced with the microphone held too close to the mouth doing the voices and with the wizardry of SD Cards and MSPaint.

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
Something I really enjoyed doing in brawl and sm4sh as well is to do team battles with friends with the following rules:
1. Stamina
2. Set one person on each team as the "tank" and one as the "healer."
3. Tanks get max health and healer gets half of that.
4. Team healer item on whatever frequency you prefer.
5. Enjoy teamwork.

I would also have stamina matches while playing solo where I'd be the healer on a team of 3 (myself and 2 cpus) with low health against one cpu with max health. Smash bros rpg style combat!

Last edited:

Originality

Smash Journeyman
My friend and I play it so that you have to call whatever move you're going to win the match with before the match starts, otherwise the win doesn't count.

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
My friend and I play it so that you have to call whatever move you're going to win the match with before the match starts, otherwise the win doesn't count.
So, it's like a smash bros version of the Tales Of... series?

Last edited:

Ultresmasher5

Smash Journeyman
Mushroom, Fire Flower and Super Star - Mario and Luigi Only - Mushroomy Kingdom

Super Mario Bros. Mode!

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
I've never played the Tales of... series. We related it to having to call which hole the 8 ball goes in.
I see. In Tales Of games, the characters shout out the name of every move they use. It's led to players making fun of Lloyd, the protagonist of Tales of Symphonia, when he constantly screams the move "demon fang!" It's a very anime style of combat. Your way is a lot less annoying I imagine lol

Last edited:

Originality

Smash Journeyman
I see. In Tales Of games, the characters shout out the name of every move they use. It's led to players making fun of Lloyd, the protagonist of Tales of Symphonia, when he constantly screams the move "demon fang!" It's a very anime style of combat. Your way is a lot less annoying I imagine lol
Oh we don't scream it out or anything. For example, he'll tell me he's going to win with the Falcon Punch and I say I'll win with Backslash. If he wins, but the final kill wasn't with a Falcon Punch, he doesn't actually win.

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
Oh we don't scream it out or anything. For example, he'll tell me he's going to win with the Falcon Punch and I say I'll win with Backslash. If he wins, but the final kill wasn't with a Falcon Punch, he doesn't actually win.
Yeah, I definitely misread your original post. That sounds like fun. I might start doing that.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Something I really enjoyed doing in brawl and sm4sh as well is to do team battles with friends with the following rules:
1. Stamina
2. Set one person on each team as the "tank" and one as the "healer."
3. Tanks get max health and healer gets half of that.
4. Team healer item on whatever frequency you prefer.
5. Enjoy teamwork.

I would also have stamina matches while playing solo where I'd be the healer on a team of 3 (myself and 2 cpus) with low health against one cpu with max health. Smash bros rpg style combat!
This seems very fun! I'll have to try it out sometime.

Last edited:

Ultresmasher5

Smash Journeyman
demon fang! double demon fang! demon fang! double demon fang! demon fang! double demon fang! double demon fang!

I've been playing Super Smash Flash 2. :smirk:

Meek Moths

Smash Ace
in for glory:

alph with no pikmin

diddy/peach: only using turnips/bananas to attack

game and watch: hammer only

AppleCracker

Smash Apprentice

I do the EXACT same thing! Like just today I did 'Lucina goes back in time to help Marth fight the Robin with black hair'

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
I'm probably alone on this but...

Original characters vs their "dark" (alternate costume) selves (Team or 1 on 1).

Also, this is mostly for Melee but, Handicapped 8 level 9 Bowser (Blue or Red) = Super Saiyan Bowser vs handicapped 1 you and 2 other teammates (human or cpu). The handicap they used in Brawl and this game doesn't cut it for me. :(

Last edited:

PuffSmash

Smash Apprentice
My favorite way to play is
SmashEd Bros (99 lives)

Handicap at 300% Stock set at 99 lives. Have a lot of beer ready and every time you die, take one drink. Every time you kill someone using your special, give that person 5 drinks. Normally will go through about 5-7 beers per match. I have a high tolerance for drinking tho so this is possibly not a good game for everyone to try. And of course if u aren't of age you probably shouldn't. It's my personal favorite way to play tho!

Rikter

Smash Cadet
3v1 against one guy items on max pokeballs only 99 stock somewhere terrible like 75m. It's a bit of a tradition for me and my friends to do this when we decide to mess with each other.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Character Board Game:

Players: 3-8 (designed for 4 but can be tweaked. Rules will be stated for 4 players)
Rules:
  • Determine stock and time amounts. Common picks are stocks 1-3 (2 is probably good for more than 4 players), time set to 4-8 minutes (cuz remember, you could be here a while).
  • Customs on or off, doesn't matter (but On is more fun :4pacman:)
  • Determine Items and Stages (see below)
  • Determine your direction of travel. Typically either horizontally or vertically (in Smash4, horizontal is easier to visualize, for Brawl it doesn't matter)
  • Everyone starts on Mario (or Luigi for Smash64, Doc for Melee, whatever just go to the top left).
  • Play a Free For All match.
  • If the match goes to Sudden Death for any reason, the Sudden Death is played, and the results are used.
  • 1st place moves three spaces (from Mario to Bowser on round 1).
  • 2nd place moves 2 (Mario to Peach)
  • 3rd place moves 1 (to Luigi)
  • 4th place doesn't move.
  • If the same player comes in 4th twice in a row, they get a mercy move of 1.
  • Miis count individually, you must count Brawler, Swordfighter, and Gunner as separate spaces.
  • First player to make it to and win on Random wins.
  • Any excess progress when nearing Random does not cause you to "miss" the space (unless you want to play that way, which can be fun). i.e. 1st place on Gunner will just move you 1 to random.
Items can follow one of several implementations. All On, All Off, Smash Balls Only, Whitelist, or Blacklist.
Whitelist: Aside from Smash Balls (which should be on for fun if any items are to be on), each player picks three items to include. These can be any item they want. All players MUST choose three items.
Blacklist: All items are on, and each player chooses three items to EXCLUDE, not including Smash Balls. All players must choose three items.

Stages can be done in various ways. Random Omega, Random (can implement whitelist or blacklist rules for that as well if you want), or In Order are the preferred ways. Loser's Pick is also a choice, as it gives the person who earned no progress an opportunity to make up for that with stage selection. If I recall, Ordered follows the settings of Random, also, so you can do Ordered with blacklisting or whitelisting as well.

Suggested changes for 8-player would be to give each player only two item/stage whitelists/blacklists, and to change progress structure to:
  • 1st moves 4
  • 2nd and 3rd move 3
  • 4th and 5th move 2
  • 6th nad 7th move 1
  • 8th doesn't move

Last edited:

JellyNut

Smash Cadet
NNID
JellyNut
3DS FC
2595-1508-4102
I
I'm probably alone on this but...

Original characters vs their "dark" (alternate costume) selves (Team or 1 on 1).

Also, this is mostly for Melee but, Handicapped 8 level 9 Bowser (Blue or Red) = Super Saiyan Bowser vs handicapped 1 you and 2 other teammates (human or cpu). The handicap they used in Brawl and this game doesn't cut it for me. :(
do dark clones, you're not alone on that one.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
I used to play Melee matches on FD with only the most destructive items turned on with item frequency set to very high. In Sm4sh, I guess that list would be something like:

- Smash Ball
- Hammer
- Golden Hammer
- Master Ball
- Bob-omb
- Ore Club
- Blue Shell
- Bombchu
- Home Run Bat
- Motion Sensor Bomb
- Smart Bomb
- Warp Star
- X Bomb
- Possibly also the Super Scope, Green Shell, Gooey Bomb, POW Block, and Bumper (just for the lulz)

Sometimes for good measure I turn the damage ratio up to 2.0. Then set the rules to something like 25-stock and watch the chaos unfold.

-------------------------------------------

Also, I haven't done it yet, but I kinda want to try a stock match with only Rally-X Flags

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
> Max knockback.
> All explosives.
> High stocks (preferably 10+)
> Small stage.

And watch the fighters fly.

Egorus

Smash Rookie
Normal 1v1 battle, but everyone can't dodge, spot dodge, air dodge or roll. All sort of funny stuff happens when you play like that.

Top Bottom