• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Creating your own flash movie?

urban_shinobi

Smash Journeyman
you'll need flash, from macromedia. You can use some other programs, and possible to make a long gif animatd movie and run sound behind it

marthsword

Smash Ace
Do you mean where to buy flash, or how to do it? I am an avid flash user, I usually create games through actionscript though. I don't have any on the internet though. If you would like to create one I will show you some stuff. If you are using a mac, press fn > f6 to create a new frame. fn > f7 creates a blank frame. On windows you don't need to press fn, just f6 or f7. If you don't know where the tools are, go to window > tools. If you would like to create custom colors then use window > color mixer. If you would like to set the frames per second differently (default is 12) find 3/4 to the top of the page in a grey bar it will say "12 frames per second." double click on this to change it. A fun fact is that SSBM runs on 60 frames per second, insanely hard to animate at.

Actionscript needed for animating.

If you would like to make a flash animation, you might need these codes.

Play Button: Draw what you would like to become your button. Select all of it, and right click > convert to symbol. There are three options. Move clip, button, or graphic. Movie clips are used for games to enter actionscript into. Graphics are used as important parts of an animation, and button is used for [I will explain.] Convert it to a button and name it "play" or something like that. Now right click > actions. This is a box where you enter actionscript. Actionscript the way flash works, the coding. You need to know at least some basic actionscript to make a good flash. you can copy paste this code for a button.

on (release) [
gotoAndPlay (_

Where the green "_" is, enter the frame that you would like the movie to play at. When the button is clicked it will go to that frame.

To add effects to your buttons first double click it. Now you will see 4 large looking frames in the timeline. Looks like this: [Up] [Over] [Down] [Hit]

Up: How the button looks normally when nothing is touching/clicking it or whatever.

Over: What the button looks like when scrolled over

Down: What the button looks like when the mouse is clicked on it

Hit: The hitbox of the button. Leave blank for the hitbox of the whole symbol. (recommeneded and easiest)

Stopped Frame: Do you want a play button, but don't know how to make the flash start going before the button can be clicked? Do you want the flash to be stopped at the end? On the frame that you would like the flash to be stopped on, right click > actions. Right on that frame. This brings up the action box again. Enter this exact code.

stop () ;

Before the () was supposed to have a number in between it. Now it doesn't it symbolizes a frame and is telling it to stop on whatever frame.

Oh, and if you would like to play your movie, than hit option > enter on a mac, or ctrl > enter on a PC.

I hope this has helped, and I hope this was what you were looking for.

marthsword

Smash Ace
Could taking java help you in actionscript. I heard they're very similar.
Yes, they are. HTML is also similar.

Marthsword hit it right on the nail. Download the program and just have fun with it. Eventually you'll be able to make cool movies like me:laugh: (I made my sig:) ).
Well said demoncaterpie. I'm not using sprites anymore, you should see my new stick animations :)

Thanks Marth sword. The info you provided is very helpfull. I would like you to work with me so I can create a great flash almost as good as yours.
Sure, I just created 2 flash tutorials in flash , one teaching you actionscript, the other one teaching you animating tips. My Aim is pulshthedoor if you would like to talk. Also, if you would like to become a better animator, I recommend fluidanims.com If you would like to check out some cool games, go to www.armorgames.com I am not meaning to advertise, just trying to help.

_Pedochu

Smash Cadet
Whats your best action flash because I want to review it and take notes from there.
[Marthsword under new name.] What do you mean? Best use of actionscript, or best animation? Actionscript is the flash programming language.

_Pedochu

Smash Cadet
Best action flash movie you've made?
I'm working on a good one. The ones I have made so far aren't really worth showing off. I'm very knowledgeable about flash, but not that great of an animator. Also, if you want to see some cool sprite art, ask demoncaterpie.

manacloud1

Smash Champion
hmm

Yeah, but I'm still learning. Sprite animation is a great way to get used to the different elements of Flash, because all the pictures are already made:laugh:
its maybe easier but then after awhile things become lame. I respect someone who could draw frame by frame in flash more then someone who can use ripped sprites.

oh well, just imo, check out my flash website.

www.disconets.com/knights

_Pedochu

Smash Cadet
its maybe easier but then after awhile things become lame. I respect someone who could draw frame by frame in flash more then someone who can use ripped sprites.
I have to agree on the sprites thing, but demoncaterpie is very good with sprites. I do prefer animation. That's what I do, but not like I'm that good at it. I've only recently started. I'm lucky to have a best friend who does frame by frame and is incredible at it. I'm learning from him and at the same time learning to be almost as good at him.

Wow, that's very impressive! I love the design and the preloader!

animations I'd like everyone to show me one so I would have a variety of things to look at.
http://www.fluidnanims.com/portal - Fluidanims: the best animation resource and forum on the web. The greatest animators hang out here. If you want to get a taste of some uber sexy animation, check out "the art of animation." It's amazing, and shows all the best animations. Here everyone likes stick animations. And they are so **** good at it. Also, the forum is nice. This should really help. REALLY help. And note that it is not the only great animation site, there are many others but it is my favorite.

And trust me, for animations, newgrounds isn't the best. They have everything else, (audio, games, preloader) but fluidanims will work better.

If you would like to find some cool games, check out http://www.armorgames.com

- And note that I am not meaning to advertise, just meaning to help.

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
Abra abra cadabra. I wanna reach out and grab ya!

I would draw frame by frame, but I can't draw:laugh: Never could. Sprites are just a way for people with good ideas to get their creativity out there, even though they can't draw.

manacloud1

Smash Champion
yeah i guess

I would draw frame by frame, but I can't draw:laugh: Never could. Sprites are just a way for people with good ideas to get their creativity out there, even though they can't draw.
im not here to diss sprite artist or anything , just many ways to go at it i guess, but for me nothing beats the hard work of a frame by frame artist it looks better.

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
im not here to diss sprite artist or anything , just many ways to go at it i guess, but for me nothing beats the hard work of a frame by frame artist it looks better.
I completly respect your opinion. Frame by frame animation beats sprites hands down. I've always believed that.

One of these days I'm gonna learn how to draw, then I'll start animating. But for now, I'll stick with my sprites. Besides, there's just this charm about sprites that I've always liked.

That could just be because I'm gamer though :) .

_Pedochu

Smash Cadet
So as a beginner you thinkk its best for me to try frame by frame or draw?
Try everything out is what I recommend to do.

OPTIONS:

1. Sprite Flashes
2. Frame by Frame
3. Games
4. Websites

1 - 2: I'm sure manacloud, demoncaterpie and I have given you enough info on this.

3. - I just started my actionscript tutorial (game making really) check it out: http://img138.imageshack.us/my.php?image=astuthostkh3.swf&width=800 It's really made for my friends, but you can check it out too.

4. Manacloud and demoncaterpie seem to know more about website design with flash then I do.

I can edit this later to add more.

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
Try everything out is what I recommend to do.

OPTIONS:

1. Sprite Flashes
2. Frame by Frame
3. Games
4. Websites

1 - 2: I'm sure manacloud, demoncaterpie and I have given you enough info on this.

3. - I just started my actionscript tutorial (game making really) check it out: http://img138.imageshack.us/my.php?image=astuthostkh3.swf&width=800 It's really made for my friends, but you can check it out too.

4. Manacloud and demoncaterpie seem to know more about website design with flash then I do.

I can edit this later to add more.
Dude, your tutorial is frikin amazing! And funny!!!

Also, you can do tweening animations, which are the easiest to do. Just make an object a graphic, go to a new key frame, move the object, and add a tween.

That's a pretty basic explanation. Let me know if you have any questions Team Fox.

marthsword

Smash Ace
[Pedochu on other account accidentally]

How could I forget tweening? Oh yeah, I hate using tweening only. If you don't know how to do that:

MOTION TWEENING: Select a frame on a layer. You need what you want to move to be the only thing on that layer. CTRL + click, or right click the frame on the correct layer. Then select "insert motion tween." In the frame you want your object on that layer to stop moving, right click on it and select "insert keyframe." Now move/edit it however you want. Say you moved it. Watch your movie now. If done correctly, your object should be moving at an exact rate, speed depending on frame rate, and where you entered the key frame. Have fun with this.

LAYERS: You may not know layers, so to help you understand motion tweening and more I will teach you them. Select INSERT > NEW LAYER. At the top bar where your frames are, (the timeline,) a we bar should appera that says, "layer 2." rename it if you want by double clicking on it. Different layers are used so that if something collides with something else in an animation, it doesn't fuse with it. Also, layers must be used for motion tweening. The third reason I can think of is for making a symbol appear over another object in a game.

Hope this all helps.

manacloud1

Smash Champion
lol

you need to know how to do sound heh. What do u mean make sounds or to know how to use it?

if your planning to make sounds get a mic and make them. Use a sound editing program such as sound forge to tweak it etc. Then bring it into flash by exporting the sound file into the library, drag it onto the time line and wa lah.

HarryPotter

Smash Cadet
All I know is that creating flash, no matter how crappy (well, actually there is a line somewhere) is cool, fun, and totally worth it.
-HP-

Top Bottom