• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Creating My Own Tier List?

Dapplegonger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetX-tremist
3DS FC
5129-1289-1208
Me and my friends have little competitive experience, and we do not play too competitively at all, so I would like to create a tier list that might represent our more casual play style a little better. How would I go about doing that?

Shiv.

Smash Rookie
You don't.
A tier list is based on certain assumptions - one of them being that the people using it are aware and capable of using ATs. This is important because presents an even foundation to build a tier list on - you can operate under the assumption that people using the tier list are, in the end, looking to master a character. Because that's what a tier list really is - a list about the strength of characters if played near perfectly. Now the thing is, if you want to create your own tier list, you would have to set arbitrary limitations as to what you and your friends can/are allowed to do, because you have to have a certain ''ceiling'' to judge characters by.

And frankly, if you created one for you and your friends, it wouldn't be a tier list of Melee characters, it would be a list of characters you guys like using and how well they fare against each other, considering your individual playstyles.

0-bit

Smash Rookie
You don't.
A tier list is based on certain assumptions - one of them being that the people using it are aware and capable of using ATs. This is important because presents an even foundation to build a tier list on - you can operate under the assumption that people using the tier list are, in the end, looking to master a character. Because that's what a tier list really is - a list about the strength of characters if played near perfectly. Now the thing is, if you want to create your own tier list, you would have to set arbitrary limitations as to what you and your friends can/are allowed to do, because you have to have a certain ''ceiling'' to judge characters by.

And frankly, if you created one for you and your friends, it wouldn't be a tier list of Melee characters, it would be a list of characters you guys like using and how well they fare against each other, considering your individual playstyles.
While I agree with this, I also think that it's interesting to hear about this stuff. I recently held a round-robin with some friends from school and they were all determined that Roy was the best. By the end of the night they all thought falcon was the best because of the advanced stuff I could do. Basically, I just like to hear what people think of the game before they live under the tyranny of space animals.

Varist

Smash Lord
here ill show you how to make a tier list

go ask your friends who the best character is

then you guys make a list numbered 1 to 40 or whatever characters melee has

then everyone writes their own tier list

each character gets 1 point for whatever spot they were on the tier list at. so if u thought falcon was the 13th best, put him at 13. then he gets 13 points.

this is important because at the end of everyone making their lists you add up all the points each character got

then the character with the least points goes at the your #1 spot, and the character with the most points goes at your dead last spot

ties in points should be resolved by which wins the head to head with the other

congratulations you just made your first amateur tier list based on nothing but the feelings and inadequacies of a bunch of amateurs

youre well on your way to becoming productive members of the defunct melee back room and creating your own Sveet's community tier list just like your sveets before you

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
While I agree with this, I also think that it's interesting to hear about this stuff. I recently held a round-robin with some friends from school and they were all determined that Roy was the best. By the end of the night they all thought falcon was the best because of the advanced stuff I could do. Basically, I just like to hear what people think of the game before they live under the tyranny of space animals.
It's clearly practical that people are just, dare I say, try-hards at the game when using the Spacies or top tiers, clearly exploiting their strengths moreover than the other characters. People put more time to "learn" about the top tiers and much less time to try and learn about the low tiered characters. Even with the advanced stuff you could do, there's still a lot to learn about the characters overall, especially some of the low-tiered, harder to learn characters like Link, Roy and others. So practically, the tier list has no true meaning until everything is found out.

Now off of that topic, a tier list should be comprised of votes of multiple competitive smashers in the large majority instead of the small minority that most tier lists have; based upon that resulting factor, it would make a more accurate tier list because we get community voting rather than a minority vote; as well, it would be considered a "Community Tier List" more than the other one. Of course, a real community tier list would be moreover a casual players tier list instead of competitive player tier list. Why no one's stepped forward to ask for a Casual Tier List is beyond me.

If one were to make a tier list, like you are trying to make, you'd have to first, gather all of your friends and set your favorite/main characters aside, then have each person make their list and competitive chart with the characters against others, and finally calculate all of the results into an average, which should be easy at first, but will take a rather strenuous amount of time. Setting aside your mains would result for a more accurate resulting, since it would not have a bias behind it (something that the regular tier list kind of does).

Top Bottom