• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

CPU Training

Lost Boy

Smash Rookie
I haven’t played smash really since brawl came out (ruined my 3DS joy stick with how hard I played sb4 for 3DS), so I’ve been out of practice. Would it be recommended to play against CPUs? If so which level would you recommend?

(Also when I was playing against the same CPU level they seems to get more difficult, had anyone else felt this?)

Quick_S

Smash Rookie
I've been doing tons of matches against lvl 9 CPUs. I have noticed they seem to learn, they also have a random effect where ill get a really good CPU or a bad CPU. I've also noticed them go try hard. But on the topic of training, if you want to have a general knowledge of a character its good (right now I'm trying to beat random lvl 9's with every character to improve my overall smash game before I start to main) Besides that you won't be able to get deep into a character with the cpus, you can only gain that by playing against humans.

MinorLeagueJohn

Smash Rookie
Computers have never been the best option for practicing but it's unfortunately one of the only ones right now. Training is pretty bare bones but can help you practice fundamentals. Fighting CPUs gives you a live environment, but an exploitable one.

Online is absolute trash right now. So unless you can play locally, counting on online to improve is going to be an uphill battle until they make some serious changes.

Minn_OW

Smash Rookie
The best level to play on for an average player would likely be lvl 8 or 9, depending on your skill, I always play with lvl eight computers because they aren't too tough to fight but they also aren't too easy that it's child's play. So in your case, probably go with lvl 8 and bump it up if that's a little too easy for you.

Quick_S

Smash Rookie
Computers have never been the best option for practicing but it's unfortunately one of the only ones right now. Training is pretty bare bones but can help you practice fundamentals. Fighting CPUs gives you a live environment, but an exploitable one.

Online is absolute trash right now. So unless you can play locally, counting on online to improve is going to be an uphill battle until they make some serious changes.
Online is now a viable option since the patch, been playing since then haven't gotten one FFA.

Cynthia Richards

Smash Rookie
CPU's are pretty exploitable, yeah. The online has improved, but honestly Battle Arenas are your best bet. I always get random hazard stages in Quickplay that don't help....

Azura Ahai

Smash Rookie
CPU's are pretty exploitable, yeah. The online has improved, but honestly Battle Arenas are your best bet. I always get random hazard stages in Quickplay that don't help....
I’ll second the battle arena suggestion. As bad as the online is, battle arenas aren’t all that bad for getting into matches with randoms and having some choice in terms of rulesets and modes. Plus you don’t have to worry about the GSP system which seems completely bonkers to me so far.

I’ve found CPUs useful for learning new characters though, practicing movement, learning combos, etc. Just force yourself to not exploit them because that won’t fly against a human and could lead to bad habits.

Lost Boy

Smash Rookie
If you wanna play let me know, haven’t been playing much because computer are boring and as everyone know, online is garbo

Quick_S

Smash Rookie
I’ll second the battle arena suggestion. As bad as the online is, battle arenas aren’t all that bad for getting into matches with randoms and having some choice in terms of rulesets and modes. Plus you don’t have to worry about the GSP system which seems completely bonkers to me so far.

I’ve found CPUs useful for learning new characters though, practicing movement, learning combos, etc. Just force yourself to not exploit them because that won’t fly against a human and could lead to bad habits.
Yep, playing against lvl 3 cpus to practice aerial combos and follow-ups is nice. Also, it can help you practice some tech, like teching, and parrying.

Top Bottom