• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

CPU Falco Tech

Earl Sargent

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I've been learning Falco for a while now and every time I play CPU Falco I notice that he does shine bair or shine fair almost instantly, from the ground. I've figured out how to do it, but I want to know if anyone has figured out a better way. Using tap jump (fastest way so far), I short-hop and as soon as his feet leave the ground, shine, then full hop dair/bair. Anyone figure out a better way to do this?

Rhumagricole

Smash Rookie
That kind of quick hand movements is hard to explain clearly in words, but (if you do not do this already) I'd suggest trying the shine-bait with the claw grip on the controller, it makes it possible to 1) hold away from your opponent with the stick (to be able to Bair) 2) do the jump-bair with Y (or X) and the Bair with the C-Stick in a very quick fashion, definitely quickest than with a standard grip of the controller. What's quick about this technique is that you can Jump (Y or X) with your right index and hit the C-Stick with your right thumb without doing any large movement. Hope this is fairly comprehensible!Another good thing about the claw grip for this is that you can be sure at 100% to do the Bair because of the way you hold the directional stick, while I feel with tap jump it might be easy to slip left-right and do, say a Fair instead of a Bair.

Last edited:

rrf5067

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I've been learning Falco for a while now and every time I play CPU Falco I notice that he does shine bair or shine fair almost instantly, from the ground. I've figured out how to do it, but I want to know if anyone has figured out a better way. Using tap jump (fastest way so far), I short-hop and as soon as his feet leave the ground, shine, then full hop dair/bair. Anyone figure out a better way to do this?
I got myself into the habit of shining on the ground, and always short hopping immediately after. If my opponent ends up somewhere that I can reach, I use my second jump to try and catch them. It's not as fast as full hopping immediately, but it's made it a lot easier to pillar for me, because it gives me more time to direct my follow-up attack. I find the accuracy to be more useful than the speed. That's just my experience, but I'd recommend trying it out to see if it helps you.

Wise Multishine

Luminary
NNID
Omnireader
I got myself into the habit of shining on the ground, and always short hopping immediately after. If my opponent ends up somewhere that I can reach, I use my second jump to try and catch them. It's not as fast as full hopping immediately, but it's made it a lot easier to pillar for me, because it gives me more time to direct my follow-up attack. I find the accuracy to be more useful than the speed. That's just my experience, but I'd recommend trying it out to see if it helps you.
This can be a useful thing to do. Falco is all about improvising to cover any DI that someone can possibly do. However, when using the above mentioned technique, keep in mind that burning your mid air jump is definitely not something you want to be doing unless absolutely necessary or safe. Especially with Falco, considering he has the worst recovery in the game aside from maybe Captain Falcon.

Last edited:
Top Bottom