• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

CPU Disparity

ZeldaSwordman

Smash Rookie
NNID
ZeldaSwordman
3DS FC
3325-5607-5698
I've been playing Smash 3DS a lot recently and I've been regularly defeating level 9 CPU's. Yesterday, I played a bit of Wii U against 9's and got slaughtered. Are the Wii U AI naturally better or is there something I just suck at?

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I've been playing Smash 3DS a lot recently and I've been regularly defeating level 9 CPU's. Yesterday, I played a bit of Wii U against 9's and got slaughtered. Are the Wii U AI naturally better or is there something I just suck at?
They are better.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The Wii U CPUs are better in the sense that the tactics that you can use to make KOs in Smash 3DS's Cruel Smash do not work well at all in Smash Wii U. While you can potentially complete the 4 KOs challenge with Kirby in Smash 3DS, you'd be lucky to make even 2 KOs with Kirby in Smash Wii U's Cruel Smash.

marteen_

Smash Cadet
NNID
martinthelee
Yeah, 3DS AI seems really terrible compared to the Wii U AI. I played on my friends 3DS against a lvl 9 and it got obliterated.

On the Wii U on the other hand, the amount of powershielding and frame 1 dodges is absolutely disgusting,

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
Oh God the I thought the CPUs on the 3DS version were enough.
Someone had to code the AI to be the way it is. I wonder: What the hell kind of players the devs have been watching if they think real people play anything like the LVL. 9 bots?

marteen_

Smash Cadet
NNID
martinthelee
I wonder: What the hell kind of players the devs have been watching if they think real people play anything like the LVL. 9 bots?
Playing against CPUs and my sister for the most part gave me the worst habits known to man.

Tizio Random

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TizioRandom
Switch FC
SW 1700 2165 1827
Lv 9 CPU on Wii U is Satan because:
  • Impossible to edgeguard: perfect airdodges and jumps especially offstage, I've seen Little Mac recover from distance a human could never hope to do
  • Perfect shielding everytime, they tend to shield all the hits of jabs which is insane (Super Daigo Level)
  • They can grab you every second. You can't escape but if don't throw them a millisecond after you grab they will be released
  • ROLL ROLL ROLL ROLL ROLL
3DS on the other hand is much more bearable. When training and I don't have anybody to play with I usually put lv 7 CPU with 50% handicap on me.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It's still heavily baffling why Smash Wii U's harder challenges had to be so absurd. They expect you to clear intensity 9.0 without losing a life? That's just ridiculous if you have to contend with near-perfect AI in every single stage.

This even goes as far as All-Star mode, where you have to clear the "true" Solo All-Star mode on Hard difficulty as Duck Hunt, and as Ike. Duck Hunt has it a lot worse though, due to the duo's problems with making quick KOs.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
It's still heavily baffling why Smash Wii U's harder challenges had to be so absurd. They expect you to clear intensity 9.0 without losing a life? That's just ridiculous if you have to contend with near-perfect AI in every single stage.
In the 3DS version, when I'm in a good day, I can actually get to Master Core without losing a single stock with my Custom Ganondorf.
Now, beating Master Core without losing a stock?... I finished it losing a stock in the final battle and with over 100% on the last one, how the hell do they expect you to finish the entire thing unscathed?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
In the 3DS version, when I'm in a good day, I can actually get to Master Core without losing a single stock with my Custom Ganondorf.
Now, beating Master Core without losing a stock?... I finished it losing a stock in the final battle and with over 100% on the last one, how the hell do they expect you to finish the entire thing unscathed?
At least the one thing that's good about Smash 3DS's Classic mode is that you can take the easier routes to make intensity 9.0 not feel so atrocious. Of course, I still had to modify one of my Rosalina customizations so that it could handle Master Core better.

Spc2799

Smash Cadet
NNID
Spc2799
Back when I was a noob I used to think I was great at smash 3ds because I would trash the CPUs so easily... Then the Wii U version came out... Lets just say I had a lot of improvement ahead of me.

Last edited:

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
At least the one thing that's good about Smash 3DS's Classic mode is that you can take the easier routes to make intensity 9.0 not feel so atrocious. Of course, I still had to modify one of my Rosalina customizations so that it could handle Master Core better.
What are the easy routes, anyway?
Even the routes that give you little to no money don't seem that much easier to be worth not getting a bigger reward. I still run into 2v2s even in the routes with no money in the way.
And, of course, 2v2s turn into 1v2s really quickly considering the other two pricks you fight against seem to focus on your little partner and said little partner doesn't even try to defend itself.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
What are the easy routes, anyway?
Even the routes that give you little to no money don't seem that much easier to be worth not getting a bigger reward. I still run into 2v2s even in the routes with no money in the way.
And, of course, 2v2s turn into 1v2s really quickly considering the other two pricks you fight against seem to focus on your little partner and said little partner doesn't even try to defend itself.
The route colors pretty much tell the story. Blue is easy; green is normal; red is hard. Of course, the character that you choose can play a factor too.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
The route colors pretty much tell the story. Blue is easy; green is normal; red is hard. Of course, the character that you choose can play a factor too.
I think I might be colourblind, then.
I never even realised the routes had colours.

ZeldaSwordman

Smash Rookie
NNID
ZeldaSwordman
3DS FC
3325-5607-5698
I think I read somewhere that the lvl. 9 AI respond to your attacks before the animation for it starts but after you actually press the button. This makes practicing rather difficult because most humans don't have telepathy and steroids infused with 20XX injected in their hands.

TheExpertCOM

Banned via Warnings
Hmm...I thought ver. 1.0.5 brought the 3DS version's AI up to snuff with Wii U. Is this still not true?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Hmm...I thought ver. 1.0.5 brought the 3DS version's AI up to snuff with Wii U. Is this still not true?
There is an article at the SmashWiki that brings up the AI's flaws, and there are differences between Smash 3DS and Smash Wii U in the AI department.

TheExpertCOM

Banned via Warnings
There is an article at the SmashWiki that brings up the AI's flaws, and there are differences between Smash 3DS and Smash Wii U in the AI department.
I also saw in that article that version numbers are different. So a flaw in 3DS version 1.0.4 might be fixed in 3DS 1.0.5 for example.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I also saw in that article that version numbers are different. So a flaw in 3DS version 1.0.4 might be fixed in 3DS 1.0.5 for example.
Still, even with the AI updates, some fighters still have their fair share of flaws with their AI.

For some examples, Little Mac often uses Jolt Haymaker to recover, even when the move isn't needed. Dr. Mario has the tendency to use Dr. Tornado frequently. And Rosalina doesn't do a good job of managing her Luma; she doesn't even try to call the Luma back when it's about to SD itself.

Also, the AI doesn't do a good job of using alternate recovery moves on the lower difficulty levels, which results in SDs that could've easily been avoided.

TheExpertCOM

Banned via Warnings
Still, even with the AI updates, some fighters still have their fair share of flaws with their AI.

For some examples, Little Mac often uses Jolt Haymaker to recover, even when the move isn't needed. Dr. Mario has the tendency to use Dr. Tornado frequently. And Rosalina doesn't do a good job of managing her Luma; she doesn't even try to call the Luma back when it's about to SD itself.

Also, the AI doesn't do a good job of using alternate recovery moves on the lower difficulty levels, which results in SDs that could've easily been avoided.
Interesting...

Does this happen on Wii U too? Lv. 9 Rosalina seems pretty good with her Luma on Wii U.

Top Bottom