• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

CP Behavior

Gigaknight

Smash Rookie
Greetings, all. I'm not sure where a topic (observation and suggestion) like this one would go, so it's here. Pardon me if it's in the wrong place.

When I started playing Brawl, I noticed a substantial difference from Melee in CP behavior. This difference can be seen at the beginning of any human vs. multiple CP free-for-all: as soon as the battle started, the CPs would rush me together while totally ignoring each other. It wouldn't stop there, though; the CP's preferred target, often, is the human player. For example, take a CP Lucario that's executing his Aura Storm Final Smash. Most of the time (a few times--few enough to be considered exceptions), that Lucario would target me, or at least attempt to. Another example is a CP with the assembled Dragoon. Anyone familiar with Brawl, when seeing the targeting reticle controlled by a CP, would get that feeling of pressure coming from knowing you're a target.

Simply put, CPs in Brawl free-for-alls behave as if they are members of a three-on-one team battle with team attacks enabled--and a considerable amount of hatred for their teammates (they do attack each other, it's just that they--individually--seem to have the human player as a primary target, with CPs as secondary). In Melee, CPs seemed to attack whomever was near them first. At the very least, I do not remember them dogpiling me, and I always remembered having a chance to jump into a fight between CPs (or "disturb" them from a distance, like with a Bob-omb) as opposed to CPs always trying to bring the fight to me as a group.

Simply put, my suggestion--if the dev team is accepting them--is to have PM CPs behave as they did in Melee. While there is a considerable difference in how CPs and human players fight, I found that the CPs in Melee were a valuable training tool, helping me to understand the mechanics of my chosen character (Ganondorf) very well. CP behavior in Brawl not only doesn't allow for this very much, as the hive mind-like focus with which CPs pursue the player makes them less like a human (or, rather, the characters in the game), and much more like what they really are (computer-controlled combatants). In that case, they might as well be Fighting Wireframes.

If you (honestly :p) read this far, thanks for your attention.

Mithost

Smash Ace
Locked in a safe floating in the Atlantic Ocean.
I was talking to Dantarion about this on Jolteon's stream a few days ago. The CPU situation is a weird one because although the PMBR has direct control over many of the things a CPU can do, they lack the ability to tell a CPU when to do those things. We didn't get into too much detail when talking about it, but it was implied that this included when to attack CPUs instead of players.

Gigaknight

Smash Rookie
Hm, I see. Well, I only wished to--at least--get the word out to you guys, and into your heads. It went far better than expected; you were actually thinking of it, yourselves. lol

Truth be told, I thought there would be a focus on human-vs-human multiplayer--even to the detriment of the parts of the game that aren't based on it.

The ball's in your court. I'll continue to watch your progress, and enjoy the fruits thereof (meaning PM, of course). And, again, thanks for reading.

Top Bottom