• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Counterpick stages.

Nightblade

Smash Journeyman
Maybe GamerGuitarist7 should add something like this to his guide, but what maps are good counterpicks against what characters, what are good in general, what should you ban/avoid like the plague?

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
i've actually been told to add something like this into the character guide and i've considered it. maybe next major update i'll take the time and write a few good and bad stages for each match-up.

general good stages: Fountain of Dreams and Final Destination are IMO the two best. Dream Land 64 is good too depending on who you're fighting. you don't want a peach on DL64. lol.

Yoru

Smash Apprentice
You could go Rainbow Cruise or Poke Floats if you're smart and patient. Jungle Japes is good because there's lot of ledges to come back from, making recovory easier. Easy kills can happen too. But fighting a Marth there is stupid... ^_^

mathos

Smash Champion
Falco owns all stages. The only kinda bad stage is FD against someone taht can chaingrab. Other than that its really personal perference and style.

V E X

Smash Rookie
Dreamland64 is a really good stage for falco against fox because of the high ceiling, im not sure about mute city thou, i dont think mute city is a good stage for falco because u cant grab ledges and your recovery has short reach, but im not sure. Dreamland64 and Fountain of Dreams FTW!!!

Mindphazzer

Smash Apprentice
For some reason I'm going to have to say that Mute City would be a good choice. Just spiking them against the street is cheap but fun. Falco has the biggest advantage against a Fox on Yoshi's story since his F-smash sends them flying out of the stage easily as I found out.

DJ Boonbuggy

Smash Apprentice
In general, the stages with a lot of platforms close together (FoD, Yoshi's Story, Dreamland) are fun for Falco if you can combo with Platforms well. Other than that type of stage advantage, things like Brinstar (the one from the first Smash, not the crappy turny one that's banned even as a counterpick) can be good sometimes, and FD is pretty good usually because of the laser advantage. However, if you're fighting someone who chain grabs, like the ICs, FD can hurt like hell.

mathos

Smash Champion
Guys platforms shouldn't stop your ability to laser. They actually make it better.

Dope likes RC because Falco is one of the most mobile characters in the game. None of the other characters, save Fox, have it as easy as Falco does moving from platform to platform.
With most characters having a harder time moving around its easier to catch them in awkward or advantagous positions.

Mindphazzer

Smash Apprentice
What would be some nice tactics to use on a platform level? Lets say FoD or Dreamland. Oh, and is Battlefield a good stage for Falco?

V E X

Smash Rookie
Falco has the biggest advantage against a Fox on Yoshi's story since his F-smash sends them flying out of the stage easily as I found out.
Actually falco has the biggest advantage against fox in final destination and Dreamland64, but i understand what your saying, u should rephrase F-Smash with D-Smash thou. If any character would have the biggest advantage on yoshi's story, it would be C.Falcon(the knee just owns to good there).

DJ Boonbuggy

Smash Apprentice
BF isn't horrible, Mindphazzer, but I f*****g hate the ledge bug more than anything in the world. Nice tactics on platformed levels = wtf pwn with platforms. IE, shine up through a platform on, say marth, dair him onto the platform. Shine him up again, dair him onto the top platform, utilt to dair back to the medium platform, utilt to dair off the stage. Learn to place your body right so that you can gauge the trajectory of your dair and you can start destroying people. <3 Killing Marths on Marth story ^_^ I don't know why, but platforms just mess up your opponents timing and whatnot which helps you somehow. They're so much fun to combo on ;P

Miharu

Smash Hero
IMO FoD is probably the best stage combowise for Falco simply because you can get so many double dairs and such, and the closely spaced platforms just make comboing that much easier.

FD might be nice for SHL, but that's really the only advantage Falco has there. Sure, it might be significant, but you're losing the combos you can have w/ platforms, and partial immunity from chainthrows. It's also much easier to get tech-chased on FD. I prefer a stage like stadium if you want to spam SHL.

mathos

Smash Champion
What would be some nice tactics to use on a platform level? Lets say FoD or Dreamland. Oh, and is Battlefield a good stage for Falco?
Battlefield is one of my favorite stages, unless I'm fighting Drephen :(

FoD is amazing with the changing platform heights. At the different positions you should be allowed to camp or shl back and forth. But you HAVE to know where the platforms are at and where to be.

Dreamland is just a great stage. Its so big to run around. Unless many characters Falco is very mobile. Use the big space to your advantage. An opponent jumps on a platform - full jump laser, jump on the opposite platform and shl (or full jump) back to the ground.

Platform stages > Platformless stages

Mindphazzer

Smash Apprentice
I'm starting to play battlefield a bit more and the ledge is annoying. The platforms on battlefield I think are pretty awesome for Falco yet the edge can take him out. I'm trying to increase my Falco's speed but I'm having a bit of trouble and need some help.

Nightblade

Smash Journeyman
What about Green Greens vs. Peach? I believe the ceiling is low, the the sides are close to the side platforms. You'll have to waveland platforms, and if you can manage it, waveland the blocks. Float-canceled aerials to a forward throw spells trouble on either side platform, but same with forward and down smashes against Peach. She's doing the same-old, you're able to use two smashes more effectively. Also, Falco's poor recovery shouldn't back that big of a difference here because of stage design.

What do you guys think?

B-Will

BRoomer
BRoomer
I don't know, Mathos, I personally love FD as falco at times.

I would never take a fox to FD but I think falco does well against shiek on that stage. A lot of times, I'd even prefer playing against marth on FD than platform stages as well.

I used to think CG on FD was too good but he can't CG you if you don't miss l-cancels and keep mobile with lasers, right? Yes, I know he can tech chase to grab but honestly, I'd rather take the risk of being CG'd than being uptilt/uaird and tippered on platforms. FD gives you more mobility with lasers than platform stages, making it less likely to get grabbed. Get grabbed on, say yoshi story or battlefield, you aren't getting away from uthrow to platform combos without taking in a lot of damage.

Dreamland, as Mathos said, is the other stage I like playing against marth; tippers don't work on platforms, utilts are a little less effective, and it is a bigger stage for falco to run around and abuse lasers. Dreamland is good pretty much against anyone, even peach IMO just because of the reasons I mentioned.

mathos

Smash Champion
The problem with Green Greens is that Falco can die so quick from one downsmash, or at least get sent off the edge to unbelievably easy edgeguard. But yes you can kill quick.

invertigo

Smash Journeyman
really? why is fox so good on fd besides the chainthrowing? ive played a few pro foxes and i fare best on FD.

but thats probably because my platform game isnt too hot. but falco's lasers and combos really shine. also the CG doesnt last more than 30ish percent if you DI up and shine i think.

i feel dreamland is good for falco but alot of characters have amazing recovery tactics compared to falco who cant come back if he gets knocked more than 5 feet off the edge :(.

i like small stages like YS and fountain because it takes away falco's greatest weakness, his recovery.

but then again im probably not at your levels.

Mindphazzer

Smash Apprentice
My Falco aint that great, well I think so. I need to record some recent vids and have people tell me what they think. My favorite falco stage is FoD, and Mute City. Onett is one of my favorites too but I don't think that applies at all. xD

tw0 side

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, I am relatively new to the smash community and have been trying to find a main. Marth is my best character atm but I seem to just love Falco and his crazy combos. I think I will continue to play with Falco, so you will be seeing more of me in this forum. Anyway, with Falco, I love to play on Dreamland 64. For some reason, I can just combo there really well.

Top Bottom