• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Counterpick Stage Against Rosalina

Shadowmin

Smash Rookie
NNID
Shadowmin
No matter what character I'm playing, I always have trouble against Rosalina on any stage- with one exception. One of Green Hill Zone's main features is that a good 3/4s of the stage is curved. Keep in mind that when Rosalina launches Luma, it always travels in a straight line. Using the curvature of the stage, I can easily avoid the attack and hit while she's in ending lag. Is there another stage that works against Rosalina? Is Green Hill Zone actually a good counterpick, or am I just getting lucky?

Shadowmin

Smash Rookie
NNID
Shadowmin
If any mod feels this is in the wrong place, feel free to move it. I'm new here and have no idea what I'm doing.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Welcome to Smashboards! This thread would probably be best on the Rosalina board rather than the general competitive board. You could also discuss this in the stickied Character Discussion thread on the competitive board as well.

Dapplegonger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetX-tremist
3DS FC
5129-1289-1208
Considering the six stages I have seen being legal most often (Final Destination, Battlefield, Yoshi's something, Lumiose City, Arena Ferox, and Tomodachi Life), by far my least favorite stage to play on as a Rosalina main is Tomodachi Life. It might be because I just don't like the stage, because I don't, but I feel like a lot of the things she can do with her Luma are harmed by the "platforms" (I have no idea what to call them). IIRC, Luma has a hard time getting back to you when she's on a different level, and the "platforms" get the luma stuck when using the Luma shot. If you can handle the awkwardness of Tomodachi Life, I'd say go there. Also, if you aren't as into that stage, some characters with hard to control recoveries (Pit, Yoshi, and Rosalina come to mind) have a hard time sweetspotting the ledge and will sometimes miss the platform completely, especially when the main platform shrinks down. I know I'm hurting my own main by doing this, but I enjoy spreading knowledge where I have it. Hope this helps.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
It's pretty unlikely that you'll see Green Hill Zone in a tournament stagelist.

It's probably good against Rosalina though, she's not into curves, as you say.

Shadowmin

Smash Rookie
NNID
Shadowmin
It's pretty unlikely that you'll see Green Hill Zone in a tournament stagelist.

It's probably good against Rosalina though, she's not into curves, as you say.
I know what you mean. Nobody likes walkoffs. However, it is a stage I see as borderline and MAY just be playable in some tournaments.

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
No matter what character I'm playing, I always have trouble against Rosalina on any stage- with one exception. One of Green Hill Zone's main features is that a good 3/4s of the stage is curved. Keep in mind that when Rosalina launches Luma, it always travels in a straight line. Using the curvature of the stage, I can easily avoid the attack and hit while she's in ending lag. Is there another stage that works against Rosalina? Is Green Hill Zone actually a good counterpick, or am I just getting lucky?
Welcome to Smash Boards!

Another stage that should be a good counterpick against Rosie is Brinstar. You have three suspended platforms there, including two that can be angled, and the main platform is curved in a convex manner.

iiGGYxD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iiGGYxD
3DS FC
0447-7543-7353
Prism can be a good stage vs rosa. The layout of the stage really messes with her recovery. The main platform will shrink in size on and off throughout the match leaving rosa overshooting the entire stage with her recovery lol..It's more of a gimmick cp though, as you're betting on the stage skewing their recovery.

Dapplegonger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetX-tremist
3DS FC
5129-1289-1208
Welcome to Smash Boards!

Another stage that should be a good counterpick against Rosie is Brinstar. You have three suspended platforms there, including two that can be angled, and the main platform is curved in a convex manner.
I agree with this. My analysis was based on stuff that I'm almost sure will be legal, but Brinstar does seem like it might be, so I don't know. The layout is really wacky and hard for Rosalina to deal with, and if she tries to recover low, she could get hit by lava.

Also another good one I guess would be Reset Bomb Forest, if we're going on the slightly less legal side of things. The platform layout is really janky, and with a hole in the middle at the beginning and the gaps in the stage during the transformation mean that Rosalina is risking a lot by shooting out Luma because Luma would get hit through a hole so quickly. It forces them to pay attention to Luma as opposed to actually defending themselves.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Final Destination. Because it's completely neutral and she can't do anything out of the ordinary. It's not a stage she's BAD on, though. It's just that, having anything other than flat terrain means she has a ton more options.

You people think Green Hill Zone is BAD for her? Well she'll just stick to the middle, and can shoot Luma up along the curves, damaging the terrain along the way, and easily stealing that checkpoint. The stage is way too easy for her to control. Not to mention she can cover a lot of space within that curve with her own aerials.

LEGOF

Smash Rookie
NNID
keimakona
3DS FC
2036-6575-6309
I'd say Brinstar easily. Iirc, the lava OHKOs Luma. Final Destination is a good stage to limit her options, but it's by no means a gamewinning cp.

Last edited:

Ranias

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ranias
3DS FC
1864-9368-1757
Hey all. I don't play Rosalina, but she's my hardest matchups right now. I mostly play Ness.

I was wondering what stages Rosalina is weakest at? Maybe stages with platforms?

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
If it's legal, I would counter pick prism tower. I find that coming from stages with at least a little slope, it's tough sweet spotting the ledge from a long distance. Even against someone who can sweet spot it, they are much more predictable, and needless to say, the penalty for missing above or below is pretty severe

Last edited:

Blade Knight

Smash Ace
Prism Tower is her weakest stage overall that's typically legal. If it's ever legal or a counterpick where you play, I personally like taking Rosalinas to Brinstar, the lava is very strong against her and Luma in particular.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Like I said before, Final Destination is and always will be her weakest stage. Giving her anything other than flat terrain means she can do a lot more with Luma spacing, and platforms allow her to safely attack from under them because of her disjointed aerials.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
Like I said before, Final Destination is and always will be her weakest stage. Giving her anything other than flat terrain means she can do a lot more with Luma spacing, and platforms allow her to safely attack from under them because of her disjointed aerials.
I agree completely, I'm kinda torn on whether Yoshis or Battlefield is better for her, but FD definitely the worst. Rosa loves them platforms.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
So I'm probably taking it that because Final Destination and any Omega Form stage is bad for Rosalina, she's one of the worst fighters to use in "For Glory". Either that, or it more depends on her match-up?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
So I'm probably taking it that because Final Destination and any Omega Form stage is bad for Rosalina, she's one of the worst fighters to use in "For Glory". Either that, or it more depends on her match-up?
No. "FD is her worst stage" does not equal "she's bad on FD". Just that out of all of the tourney legal stages on 3DS, it's the one that provides her with the least options. She's not bad on it though, by any means. She's eexcellent on it, actually. Just a little less excellent than she is on Battlefield and other stages like that.

If we look at every single stage in the game, her worst stage is almost definitely Balloon Fight. The flippers are annoying because she is big, and they can catch Luma. Also, Luma can't travel off screen and appear at the other side unless he is linked to Rosalina. If you try to use Luma Shot to make him appear at the other side of the stage, he'll just be KO'd.

Ranias

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ranias
3DS FC
1864-9368-1757
Well I haven't had much success while playing Ness versus good Rosalinas in For Glory, so FD is out for me.

Probably the best counterpick choice for me would be Prism Tower, followed by Brinstar, then FD.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
Well I haven't had much success while playing Ness versus good Rosalinas in For Glory, so FD is out for me.

Probably the best counterpick choice for me would be Prism Tower, followed by Brinstar, then FD.
Prism is decent for Rosas because of the section with the high platform, means she can kill super early with uair/utilt. I'd actually say Brinstar is also up there for good picks, but the tournaments here just use FD/Omegas/battlefield/prism/yoshis, so I never really messed with it much. The worst part for Prism and Rosa, and this has happened to me twice in tournament, is when you Up B through the stage and miss the ledge and fall to your death in Prism. I had to figure out hte platform arrangements and stuff after that, twice was too much.

Though I've been playing in a ladder that has Arena Ferox and holy crap I love that stage. You can trap Luma above platforms and do really unpredictable things with it. Pretty fun, I doubt it's an advantage but I just really enjoy it.

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
Neither is Brinstar.
Really, the only stage that was "meant for competitive play" was Final Destination. Everything else was just meant For Fun.
Not quite. Battle Field balances the "projectiles vs no projectiles" matchup by providing partial cover to characters that have no projectiles.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Not quite. Battle Field balances the "projectiles vs no projectiles" matchup by providing partial cover to characters that have no projectiles.
When regarding what is "meant" for the game, only the game designers decide this.
Sakurai is a game designer for Smash 4 and said FD was the only competitive stage (For Glory).
Therefore Battlefield is not a competitive stage, despite the speculations on projectiles vs no projectiles matchup we may be looking at.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
For Glory isn't really a competitive scene, it's just a standard type of play in order to make it easy to jump into an online game with someone.

Most people playing competitively online will do so with friends or by pairing up with people on forums, and they will have their own rules and will pick non-FD stages.

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
When regarding what is "meant" for the game, only the game designers decide this.
Sakurai is a game designer for Smash 4 and said FD was the only competitive stage (For Glory).
He said that, huh? Ok, my bad.

Therefore Battlefield is not a competitive stage, despite the speculations on projectiles vs no projectiles matchup we may be looking at.
No. Sakurai's intention only signifies that Battlefield was not meant as a competitive stage. You cannot go from "not meant as a competitive stage" to "not a competitive stage". Intention and practice are two different things. Unintended consequences abound! :estatic:

Moreover, no one needs to speculate when tourney matches have been held on Battlefield for years.:drflip:

Top Bottom