• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Countering Peach

mtmaster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mtmaster_2k7
3DS FC
0645-7185-4095
Hey what's up peoples? What I want to know is really simple. As the title suggests I was wondering if anyone wouldn't mind giving some advice on countering peach, particularly with Sonic (since he's my main). I personally find that she is one of the most annoying characters for me to fight while I'm using Sonic, and I haven't really figured out who my secondary or tertiary characters are yet, so I'm just trying to figure out what might be the best ways of handling her whilst using Sonic? If anyone has advice I would most certainly appreciate it.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Peach has really good recovery horziontally, but will recover low more often than not. If she's off-stage though, you can definitely mess with her recovery using aerials like Sonic's Forward Air, which I believe spikes, but it might meteor. Using your Up B spring to assault her from above can also work. On stages with low vertical boundaries like Pokemon Stadium, you can chase Peach quite well vertically due to Sonic's unique UpB properties. His Up air is similar to Fox's and can Star KO Peach quite early. I would say watch out for Bair--I don't know its priorities against Sonic's aerials, but Bair often prioritizes a lot of things.

mtmaster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mtmaster_2k7
3DS FC
0645-7185-4095
Peach has really good recovery horziontally, but will recover low more often than not. If she's off-stage though, you can definitely mess with her recovery using aerials like Sonic's Forward Air, which I believe spikes, but it might meteor. Using your Up B spring to assault her from above can also work. On stages with low vertical boundaries like Pokemon Stadium, you can chase Peach quite well vertically due to Sonic's unique UpB properties. His Up air is similar to Fox's and can Star KO Peach quite early. I would say watch out for Bair--I don't know its priorities against Sonic's aerials, but Bair often prioritizes a lot of things.
From what I am aware her Parasol has hit boxes so every time I do try to hit her I get hitstun from touching her parasol, and Sonic has pretty crappy priority for the most part, which is a pretty fair trade of considering. Peach also has the advantage of projectiles and forcing Sonic to wait cause she can float.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Well I would definitely say capitalize on the speed advantage you have over Peach, and not give her a lot of breathing room. I don't have a LOT of experience in this matchup, but since we like to pull turnips we like to have a little space, plus Peach is slow so she really wants to reset to neutral if things are going bad for (who doesn't?).

I'm not sure what advice to give on the Parasol off the top of my head. Its vertical recovery isn't that good though. You can go deep to edgeguard as Sonic, just be careful for gimps or running into her aerials. I'm not too familiar with Sonic's edgeguard game, but hopefully some of this helps haha

Alakaslam

Smash Ace
Post the same in the sonic thread!

I am pretty sure here all I think about is "how to counter sonic" or, "how not to die to link"

So

To think "how does sonic kill me" becomes a contradiction, because I don't know anyone good enough with sonic to pull that off yet.

Edit: on the level of "I know a guy who plays sonic, poor guy gets 4-stocked every time if I don't play as Toon Link or some random character because he is the definition of casual and even the idea of project m is a novelty to him"

Disclaimer: no net play dude here

Last edited:

Angrycuban

Smash Journeyman
I am pretty sure here all I think about is "how not to die to link"
this is all i think about. from the moment i wake up til the moment i go to sleep, and i still have no answers -.-

on the topic of sonic its actually a pretty rough match up for sonic. Maybe ill record some of me and solharath's sets. He usually beats me so you could watch how he does it. Lots of up air strings and general sonic campyness

Last edited:

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
Most of Peach's matchups aren't drastic one way or the other. It's all about spacing and out gimping her. Which is very easy since a lot of characters either out speed her or out range her.

If you are faster, just rush and apply pressure with a jigger of fake outs. Watch out for her bum rush fueled by explosive diarrhea and try to DI left or right. Hit by Peach Bomber + downward DI = early death. Getting hit by her Dsmash is bad too, but with speed and precision you should never be too close to her anyway.

If you out range her the match up is slighty or greatly in your favor... Unless she pulls out a beam sword. But her aerials with real oomph tend to have very little range or speed issues like Fair so approach from the front if you can. Just slam her with tilts and smash her upwards. She is surprisingly horrible at defending herself when she is high up despite being known for her aerial game.

She is very predictable and the turnips have an easy to read flight path with no explosion or super quick throw to help her out.

Go for top KOs or downward ones. You need a clean shot to KO her from the sides so it's not too easy. Sonic has easy top KO options so just save that for the kill when she's 85%-95% or higher.

Last edited:

Alakaslam

Smash Ace
you should just never get hit by peach bomber ever
Every time I land one I get "wow good hit"

Everyone,

And I mean EVERYONE who plays me knows the great difficulty in landing this epic move of digimonic/Star Wars episode 3 game style "ANNOUNCE- ATTACK!" ism.

"HAYUUP- CHAA!" And not run is like hearing "REACTOR MELTDOWN IN 5..." And not run

Therefore every time I mess up and do this move my "doh" holds great volume

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
you should just never get hit by peach bomber ever
A good Peach player will hit you. I even hit people who are off the stage with it and I'm mediocre with her. People never expect it, but then they get KO'd with only 70% damage. lol

There are many deer in front of the headlights moments that people don't anticipate the deadly approach of Peach's royal dairy aire.

Another fun thing is using your target's approach to bomb them.

Angrycuban

Smash Journeyman
A good Peach player will hit you. I even hit people who are off the stage with it and I'm mediocre with her. People never expect it, but then they get KO'd with only 70% damage. lol

There are many deer in front of the headlights moments that people don't anticipate the deadly approach of Peach's royal dairy aire.

Another fun thing is using your target's approach to bomb them.
no a good player just wont get hit by it. Good players dont stand in front of peach bomber...all you have to do is shield. Peach bomber is a completely useless move in tournament play

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
no a good player just wont get hit by it. Good players dont stand in front of peach bomber...all you have to do is shield. Peach bomber is a completely useless move in tournament play
Good luck blocking a random Peach Bomber when trying to return to the ledge.

But that usually only works once. It's a very epic way to kill someone. Just like dropping from the edge of the stage to sweetspot lightning kick someone returning to the ledge as Zelda. Totally random. Very awesome. Kind of funny. Packed with sodium.

Last edited:

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Didn't we already go over this in the thread about Peach Bomber? It's rarely useful, but it's not useless.

mudkyp

Smash Apprentice
Only if you completey read the tech roll. Again emphasizing the fact that good players don't get hit by it
This is such an arrogant statement. Part of playing in a competitive setting is adapting and punishing certain habits. Even the best of players do this. I've hit Kels' Fox with this in Project M a dozen times. Is he a bad player?

Angrycuban

Smash Journeyman
This is such an arrogant statement. Part of playing in a competitive setting is adapting and punishing certain habits. Even the best of players do this. I've hit Kels' Fox with this in Project M a dozen times. Is he a bad player?
sorry i dont mean to be arrogant and kels is a great player but there is just so many better options than side b in like every conceivable situation, i suppose if it works for you keep using it but i never will myself

Alakaslam

Smash Ace
Well

Do I miss my fellow scrubs because I am a scrub or do I hit because it actually is difficult to dodge?

What is arrogance?

HIJOLE

The level of speak here is more to say this: everyone can improve at smash; starcraft may have automaton 3000 and we have a thread about insane recovery into gimp by lvl 1's stories here, but ultimately unlike starcraft (where automaton 3000 can micro lings to legit dodge a tank blast) the highest level CPU in smash generally can't touch a truly skilled player.

So, just as given enough thrust, a rock can fly, so also in smash, given enough skill, any move can be dangerous.

But we run into this point that makes me prone to side with angry: why was the F-16 Fighting Falcon (a light payload, single engine fighter) commissioned when we had the 14 Tomcat and 15 Eagle?

Because eventually practicality + feasibility become the equation in question, versus MOAR TECH/ MOAR SKILLZ

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
sorry i dont mean to be arrogant and kels is a great player but there is just so many better options than side b in like every conceivable situation, i suppose if it works for you keep using it but i never will myself
Peach Bomber is Peach's strongest move that doesn't require a sweetspot to really do damage. Much like Fair it is hard to properly DI and the knock back is noticeable even at medium %s. It is Peach's strongest, but not overall best, punishing option and is great for mind games if you use it sparingly. People know of Peach's short range, so when they see her floating they expect an incoming aerial. Then suddenly, from a few feet away, a flying butt approaches.

Alakaslam

Smash Ace
The buttnuke!

Yes when it lands I have something like a 70% kill ratio: sound about right, Zigawatt?

Hijole how do I tag

Last edited:

mudkyp

Smash Apprentice
i suppose, if i read a roll id rather just grab and forward throw though, maybe I need to experiment with some of these other things but i just like using whats reliable and safe
Yeah I don't use it often but let me stress how rewarding it is when you pull it off in Project: M. It's a great kill move.

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
Yeah I don't use it often but let me stress how rewarding it is when you pull it off in Project: M. It's a great kill move.
It is as satisfying as hitting the sweetspots with Zelda's aerials, especially the laggy Dair one. Sooooooo goooooooood.

internetmovieguy

Smash Apprentice
sonic vs peach is in sonic's favor.
1.) You can rush her down.
Peach can bait and punish just like you but if your in her face she will either be in shield or throwing out an attack to get you off her. Her Nair and Down smash are the only threat to you but they are both powerful so watch out! Like with every match up make sure to mix up your approaches. once you get in get her above you and keep her there with up airs.

Use your up-airs!

2.) Play keep away!
Peach is horrible at approaching you so take advantage of that. Run, jump, spring, spin, taunt. She's "too slow" so let her know that. She'll most likely pull a turnip. Laugh!.... unless it's a bomb or stitch face. Her turnips should not be feared. You can attack her for low risk damage and if you get one you can do tricks with it like glide tossing.

Kirigiri

Smash Rookie
sonic vs peach is in sonic's favor.
1.) You can rush her down.
Peach can bait and punish just like you but if your in her face she will either be in shield or throwing out an attack to get you off her. Her Nair and Down smash are the only threat to you but they are both powerful so watch out! Like with every match up make sure to mix up your approaches. once you get in get her above you and keep her there with up airs.

Use your up-airs!

2.) Play keep away!
Peach is horrible at approaching you so take advantage of that. Run, jump, spring, spin, taunt. She's "too slow" so let her know that. She'll most likely pull a turnip. Laugh!.... unless it's a bomb or stitch face. Her turnips should not be feared. You can attack her for low risk damage and if you get one you can do tricks with it like glide tossing.
I beleive you are wrong. The reasons being Peach is a bigger threat than you make her out to be. Watch out for her Peach Bomber and Fair.

internetmovieguy

Smash Apprentice
I believe you are wrong. The reasons being Peach is a bigger threat than you make her out to be. Watch out for her Peach Bomber and Fair.
FYI: my post was in relation to PM 3.0 sonic and peach. I haven't had time to assess the match up in this version (3.5).

I agree that the fair can seem scary; disjointed and very low end lag. you can beat it by hitting her out of her jump before the move starts up. My best advice:
Keep calm when playing sonic!

the peach bomber is a gimmick.

Top Bottom