• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Counter picks and bad stages. *vs ganon posted*

vrud

Smash Apprentice
I think we should combine our knowledge to make a counterpick guide. But not only do we make a list of good/bad stages but also an in depth descriptions vs some/(most)? characters.

GANON:
Neutral stages:

Final Destination: I find this stage to be pretty fair to both sides. You can’t use planks for combos but neither can he. I am not an expert at ceilings and blasts zones but ganon won’t kill u here as easily as on Yoshi’s story but the ceiling is pretty low so expect to die by a stomp at ~85% like most stages.

Dreamland 64: Personally, I like this stage. The ceiling is pretty high a stomp will kill u at ~100%. I like how the planks are setup for “combos”. The blast zones are far enough to leave u room to recover. So if u are playing against a stomp happy ganon go here.

Fountain of dreams: This stage is in ur favor. My friend who mains ganon says that its a lot harder to SH fair on this stage cuz of the planks. Also you’ll survive his stomp here till the low 90s.

Battlefield: I really don’t like this stage. I’m never sure if I will sweetspot or if battlefield will feel like being a bit.h and just let me drop so my recovery usually gets punished here but if u well comfortable with the edges its pretty even for both sides.

Yoshi’s story: This is the stage I would ban against a ganon. Usually I like this stage cuz I can easily tech spikes and other edge-guard strategies. Against ganon I don’t like it because the fair will kill u easily without di and even with di u won’t last too long.

Pokemon Stadium: I like this stage for this match up but that’s only because I love this stage in general. The planks are amazingly placed for me. Also if u get lucky u can hit him against the floor next to a wall and dair him till the stage goes back to normal. Also if u get him to the left of the rock stage next to the edge he’ll probly fall off the stage cuz hes so fat and u can egde guard him.

Counterpicks:

Kongo Jungo: You’ll probly live here for a long time even against ganon’s ridiculous power cuz the blast zones and ceiling are so far away from the stage but I wouldn’t recomende this stage because u can’t sweet spot the ledge here easily/tech edge guarding techniques/wall hug. And that f.cking barrel is an a.shole. >.<

Mute city: Not much to say here. He can combo u off cars/floor but so can u. He can punich ur recovery so can u but a lil harder. If u can do the dthrow>djc fair ff>dthrow … this stage is a good place to do it.

Green greens: If it legal couter pick it!! You can camp and yo yo glitch hurray if he doesn’t come for u quick enough and if he does… just go on the other side XD.

Brinstar: I don’t really know anything about this map.

Corneria: Good place. Abosrb dem laz0rs b(^.^)d

Rainbow Cruise: I dun no much about this place either.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
sounds like a good thread idea...but instead of just trying to add every matchup i have played a lot, i'll just add to the ganon bit you've already thought about, since i play both characters.

ganon's recovery is aided just as much if not more than ness's on DL64...plus the platforms make it way easier for ganon to combo/chase than ness. with ness's DJC shorter platforms are way more useful, so other than FoD and yoshi's, platforms aid ganon as well. so...DL is definitely a ganon pick...and that's on top of the fact that ganon has a sizable advantage over ness.

FoD is your best neutral since you can ride the wall to recover, can kill ganon horizontally almost as easily as he can to you, and the platforms yell ness. plus with how small the actual stage is, ganon doesn't have as much time and room to set up his spacing, and can be penetrated pretty easily because of it. yoshi's works the same, but shy guys+short ceiling = ganon's favor.

BF is completely ganon, pretty much, but poke can help ness a lot. it seems like every single one of the terrain changes helps ness, but the main stage is in ganon's favor. like you said (or tried to say), dtilt locks against walls until the person can SDI up and out, and with all the short platforms from stage changes, ness can combo the hell out of ganon.

all i have to say about counterpicks is that mute city is ness's best counter-pick for a ton of characters, ganon is not an exception...but rainbow cruise o.0 never go rainbow cruise against ganondorf.he's so mobile there with his shorthops and small DJ but can also recover thanks to down+b, and he can kill randomly/at low percentages by pretty much hitting with 1 up+air that cuts off someone's angle.

hope to see this thread flourish. kind of a neat idea, IMO. step 1 is getting the ness boards in gear though :p

vrud

Smash Apprentice
Sry i havnt been updating guys. My being lazy and having school at the same time isnt working. Ill try to put up samus next weekend and update the gannon matchup with ur advice.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Fd is a really good cp vs. Space Animals and Falcon cuz of throw combos. YI's platforms are good for combos as well.

Top Bottom