• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Counter pick Problems :T

Hunybear

Smash Ace
Alrighty then. So From my understanding from the last thread i made Marth's best stages are Yoshi's, FD, and Pokemon. Those are the stages that a marth should pick, but what characters also have an advantage on those stages. What's a stage that will give Marth an advantage on Sheik. I know that FD helps against spacies so i'm just wondering if there's anything else that'll help. I'm also a very aggressive Marth but i'll take my time when needed. I'm also having lots of trouble with floaties on Dream land -_- They wont die and stay right above my spike range. The only way i can kill them is a combo at low percents or chip away at them until it's time for an Up tilt.I keep trying to use a backward Up B but it's really risky against puff. (Off subject)- I'm also having trouble throwing out two Nairs in one short hop. If someone could help with that it'd be cool. Ok thanx for the help if you do.

Xyzz

Smash Champion
I'll assume you're talking about sh double fair, double nair is impossible. You have to be rather quick about starting the first fair; it's a good idea to either use the a-button, or the side of your thumb to hit the c-stick.
Your best pick against sheik tends to be fd
dreamland works out that way, can't be helped.

Chives

Smash Rookie
Marth's best stages are Yoshi's, FD, and Pokemon. Those are the stages that a marth should pick, but what characters also have an advantage on those stages.
Falco is good on Yoshi's and Fox is good on Stadium, and does poorly on FOD, so if you ever get into a situation where you have to choose between battlefield and FOD against a fox, go FOD. Stadium is also a really good counterpick against sheik. It's probably one of her worst stages. No one has as much of an advantage on FD as Marth does, so you shouldn't have to worry that much about FD not being a good counterpick. Also try to ban dreamland when playing against peach and puff. They just never die on those stages. Honestly, I go Marth on ever stage except dreamland against floaties. Even dreamland against fox or falco I'm fine with going Marth, but against peach I normally pull out my fox secondary.

Alrighty then. So From my understanding from the last thread i made Marth's best stages are Yoshi's, FD, and Pokemon. Those are the stages that a marth should pick, but what characters also have an advantage on those stages. What's a stage that will give Marth an advantage on Sheik. I know that FD helps against spacies so i'm just wondering if there's anything else that'll help. I'm also a very aggressive Marth but i'll take my time when needed. I'm also having lots of trouble with floaties on Dream land -_- They wont die and stay right above my spike range. The only way i can kill them is a combo at low percents or chip away at them until it's time for an Up tilt.I keep trying to use a backward Up B but it's really risky against puff. (Off subject)- I'm also having trouble throwing out two Nairs in one short hop. If someone could help with that it'd be cool. Ok thanx for the help if you do.
The only reasons I see these being good Marth stages is due to punish game. For one, top platform on BF or DL for Marth is pretty stupid against him. Otherwise, I see nothing about these stages that assist in other way other than his stronger punishes.

Plus, think about hitting a character and wonder what will they do do get back to the ground against Marth? Even if they will not die if you keep pushing them away they will die eventually. Sure take your opportunity to end a stock if it comes up, but KO by percent or not is not really important. Only time it matters is if both people keep making lots of mistakes.

Million

Smash Rookie
I feel Dreamland, Battlefield and Pokemon stadium are not good stages for beg-mid level marths.

My preference before I developed good recovery mixups and punish game

were always FoDs, Yoshi(marth) story, ... and after chain grabs Final Dest.

Final Destination is said to be a good stage, but if you learning marth and cannot zero to death combo
or reliably chaingrab opponents I dont think its a good pick. Your Recovery is very linear can be easily gimped by higher level players. You dont have a platform to mix-up your upb and most characters will bait out your attacks and then combo hard if your punishment game is subpar.

I think alot of this also applies to Pokemon Stadium. Marth doesnt exactly shine in most of the transformations for starters.
Secondly although there are platforms they are further in stage and thus not as useful when air-dodging back on stage or for more recovery options. The platforms do let marth uptilt shenanigans run wild. and you can chaingrab third-best on this stage due to the fact you can combo if they land on these platforms without a top one to escape. IF you have either of these skills developed.

Battlefield Has platform combos off the Forward smash as all the platform stage do, but It has the shortest range of marths forward smash that actually get a hitbox to connect through it. Also the stage has a higher third platform which makes it hard for sub-optimal punish games to effectively reach.

Of course the better you get and more options you cover the different advantages you get from each stage. Which is what every
player should really consider

comfortability + skill level advantages = Good stage picks.

Never be that guy who picks Final Dest. because you watch M2K do it and you cant chain-grab or punish :p
In those scenarios the spacies suddenly have a 50-50 or higher matchup since the chaingrab to death is the only real marth
benefit of the stage. (grab game in general on FD)

hope that helps <3

-Million

Top Bottom