• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Counter-Attacking out of a Dash Dance (and my Marth Revelations)

Son of Slobodan

Smash Cadet
Hey so I was thinking about this today and I wanted to open up a discussion with other Marth players. I've been playing against good a fox/falco player recently and by getting wrecked over and over, I've gradually come to understand some things about Marth.

In the spacies match-ups in particular, Marth seems to be at the strongest when you keep a good distance and punish your enemy's attacks. I know this is common knowledge but its hard to really apply to your own game without a lot of experience. As we know, dash-dancing is a fantastic non-committal form of movement and space control. Fortunately for us, Marth has one of the best dash-dances and this movement can be used very effectively against any character.

I was experimenting with this reactive style the other day, and found that sometimes I could simply just stand there (no dd'ing) and wait for a nair or dair and punish with a spaced up-tilt or even jab, and down-tilts for ground approaches. This strategy confirmed to me that dash-dashing is essentially the same as just standing and waiting, but it makes it less obvious to your opponent than the previous option as you are masking your intentions.

My question is, what are some good counter-attack options out of Marth's fantastic dash-dance? Grab seems to be the obvious choice as it can be done immediately out of a dash, but I would like to throw out jabs and tilts as well out of this neutral state (standing makes it too obvious you're just waiting for a move). As nice as dash-dancing is, it does seem to limit a lot of attack options.

AustinRC

Smash Lord
Learn to pivot. You can do any move during your dash by pivoting. Tilts, jabs, jump attacks, anything except B moves for some reason. Well minus side B that one should be self explanatory.

Son of Slobodan

Smash Cadet
I can pivot for grabs but I think pivoting on every move would be insanely difficult to learn (i dont even see most top level marths doing it), especially when messing it up is so costly. I think side-b might have some potential, I'll try to incorporate it more into my game as a mix up with grabs and see how it goes.

AustinRC

Smash Lord
I've been having some amazing luck using it to catch people's jump oos. It's a little weird because if it does hit it doesn't get you an immediate reward but it puts your opponent in a really awkward position. So if you are observant enough you can get a lot from just one side B swipe.

airok

Smash Rookie
Dash Dancing makes marth like lean forward, so if you use it perfectly you can dodge moves, because their hit box will miss marth's body because he is leaving forward. EX. marth does uptilt and another marth dd next to him, the marth dding will not get hit.

swanized

Smash Cadet
Dash Dancing makes marth like lean forward, so if you use it perfectly you can dodge moves, because their hit box will miss marth's body because he is leaving forward. EX. marth does uptilt and another marth dd next to him, the marth dding will not get hit.
Hahahahahahahaha, funny jokes

(that's completely wrong, read the posts earlier in the thread)

Top Bottom