• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Could Young Link be a Toon Link alternative costume? (POLL)

So...

• Maybe... well... I Don't know... maybe Young Link will return since he was already a character...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
Well, since Lucina was at first made as an alt costume for Marth (but changed into her own character), could Young Link be an alt for Toon Link?

Morbi

Scavenger
I have never actually contemplated the ramifications of such, I suppose it is entirely possible and it is certainly something I would advocate for.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
...the problem is the hit box. I suppose its possible, but Toon Link has the chibified design. Young Link doesn't have that. I'm not sure how easy it'd be making Young Link an alt of Toon Link.

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
...the problem is the hit box. I suppose its possible, but Toon Link has the chibified design. Young Link doesn't have that. I'm not sure how easy it'd be making Young Link an alt of Toon Link.
Very excellent point that i didn't even think of until now. Young Link's head is a lot smaller...hmm..I'd rather have Outset Link anyway though

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Very excellent point that i didn't even think of until now. Young Link's head is a lot smaller...hmm..I'd rather have Outset Link anyway though
Outset Link would more likely just be a recolor of Toon Link's regular Toon Link, just like Link's Skyloft clothes. I think the Train Conductor Link is Toon Link's alt, they've already got the model anyway. Which would make sense as to why Alfonzo says "leave it to me" when Toon Link is on the Spirit Train. :p

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
If we where to get any "Link" as Toon Link's alt, I'd wager it would be Conductor Link (aka Spirit Tracks Link in his Conductors outfit), which is what I would prefer anyway, either Conductor Link or Toon Link in his Outset Island outfit. Not really sure about Young Link though, I kinda doubt they would plan for him to be an alt....

jigglover

Smash Lord
Outset Link would more likely just be a recolor of Toon Link's regular Toon Link, just like Link's Skyloft clothes. I think the Train Conductor Link is Toon Link's alt, they've already got the model anyway. Which would make sense as to why Alfonzo says "leave it to me" when Toon Link is on the Spirit Train. :p
I'd like for Toon Link to get two. Outset Link AND Conductor Link. Like you said, they already have the model for Conductor Link, and they did the same with Little Mac and his hoodie.

Personally, I don't see how Sakurai could turn Outset Island Link into a tunic. He didn't do it too well with Link, but Toon Link would have to turn from this:
To this:

This just blatantly doesn't make sense...

Young Link doesn't make sense because Toon Link represents the cartoonish sub series of Zelda. Young Link would be more logical as an Adult Link alt lol.

Last edited:

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
I think if Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask young Link would be Toon Link's alternate, than Link needs an adult Ocarina of Time alternate as well.

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
Young Link isn't suppose to be wielding the Master Sword and the kokiri sword's length is a major difference.

Last edited:

Tikivoy

Smashing idol~
Switch FC
SW-4447-4606-8984
Thinking about this... has Sakurai said if height was a factor in Lucina getting her own slot? I think he mentioned "different characteristics" being the reasons, but it looks like he was talking about the attacks.
If its just properties, I guess they could give him the Master Sword and get him in that way. With that and no fire arrows, he'd play exactly like Toon Link--it must be in his D.N.A :awesome:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Thinking about this... has Sakurai said if height was a factor in Lucina getting her own slot? I think he mentioned "different characteristics" being the reasons, but it looks like he was talking about the attacks.
If its just properties, I guess they could give him the Master Sword and get him in that way. With that and no fire arrows, he'd play exactly like Toon Link--it must be in his D.N.A :awesome:
Anything that might affect battle records. As giving him a different height causes him to have his hitboxes altered and all which can affect battle records and whatnot. So I don't see him becoming an alt of Toon Link. Unless they where to squeeze his size around to fit Toon Link's like they apparently did with the Wii Fit Trainers..... and giving him a longer sword.... But that might make things look a bit awkward for him.....

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
I think there is one way this would work.

Meet ALBW Link, he basically is Young Link and as you can see shares a few similarities with Toonlink, thus making this costume possible.

I hope so and hopefully there's a red tunic version of it and a Ravio version of it.

Then Zelda should have a Hilda costume and Ganondorf should have a Yuga Ganon costume.

kazrisk

twitch.tv/kazrisk
NNID
kazrisk
Sakurai said:
“Initially, I had considered including Lucina as one of Marth’s alternate costumes. After all, she has a close relationship with him in FE:A. In such cases, even if two characters’ names and voices differ, as long as they function the same way, I assign them as alternate costumes. The Wii Fit Trainers, Villagers, and Robin are examples of this setup.”
- (http://mynintendonews.com/2014/07/1...ros-says-he-lacks-any-unique-characteristics/)

If Lucina was originally in consideration as one of Marth's costumes, that means a character can be a completely different character and still be a costume. Do you think this makes Young Link a possible costume for Toon Link, or even Link Between Worlds's Link?

The moves would be identical and height/reach, and with Link Between Worlds/Ocarina 3D/the inevitable Majora's Mask 3D being so big on the 3DS, it is a relevant costume.

Lemme know what you all think!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
- (http://mynintendonews.com/2014/07/1...ros-says-he-lacks-any-unique-characteristics/)

If Lucina was originally in consideration as one of Marth's costumes, that means a character can be a completely different character and still be a costume. Do you think this makes Young Link a possible costume for Toon Link, or even Link Between Worlds's Link?

The moves would be identical and height/reach, and with Link Between Worlds/Ocarina 3D/the inevitable Majora's Mask 3D being so big on the 3DS, it is a relevant costume.

Lemme know what you all think!
There's already a thread that discusses this so I've merged your thread with this one.

Like I said, I don't really think Young Link will really work as an alt for Toon Link but perhaps ALBW Link can (if they used his in-game model) now that I think about it....

Pokefan203

Smash Apprentice
Then how would his taunt work? Does he just crazily swing around his ocarina instead?

kazrisk

twitch.tv/kazrisk
NNID
kazrisk
Then how would his taunt work? Does he just crazily swing around his ocarina instead?
Well I believe alt costumes could potentially have alternate taunts as well, considering that Lucina was originally planned as an alternate costume and has different taunts, although maybe her taunts were the same as Marth before she became her own. I'd love to have Young Link drinking milk as a taunt (Got Lon Lon?) We'll see though..

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
That would pretty much take away the point of Toon Link being Toon Link.

kazrisk

twitch.tv/kazrisk
NNID
kazrisk
That would pretty much take away the point of Toon Link being Toon Link.
What's the point of Toon Link being Toon Link? It's to have a representation of Link that is smaller, quicker, weaker with shorter range so that you can play Link with a different play-style and look. Young Link accomplishes the exact same thing. The name wouldn't be Toon Link if you change to Young Link, the name would change as well. Sakurai already stated the alt costumes can have different names.

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
What's the point of Toon Link being Toon Link? It's to have a representation of Link that is smaller, quicker, weaker with shorter range so that you can play Link with a different play-style and look. Young Link accomplishes the exact same thing. The name wouldn't be Toon Link if you change to Young Link, the name would change as well. Sakurai already stated the alt costumes can have different names.
Toon Link's whole thing is to be a cartoonish version of Link to the point where even his proportions are cartoony. Young Link is a younger version Link, Toon Link is a cartoon Link.

Plus, alts need to have similar structures like Lucina and Marth did, Toon Link and Young Link don't. Not even close.

Last edited:

kazrisk

twitch.tv/kazrisk
NNID
kazrisk
Toon Link's whole thing is to be a cartoonish version of Link to the point where even his proportions are cartoony. Young Link is a younger version Link, Toon Link is a cartoon Link.

Plus, alts need to have similar structures like Lucina and Marth did, Toon Link and Young Link don't. Not even close.
Well Young Link from Link Between Worlds has been shown to have very similar structures. Could see that happening.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Maybe Young Link was always a lame character choice since Wind Waker > Majora's Mask & Ocarina Of Time?

Samuel Intrater

Smash Apprentice
Sure, why not? I always liked the idea of alternate costumes because they (usually) please a character's fans without taking up a character slot or any development time.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
I preferred normal Link in all the Smash's that included Young / Toon Link. But an Alt-Costume for Toon Link wouldn't be a bad idea. The only thing that I feel would be strange is that Toon Link and Young Link are pretty much the same character in LoZ. It's almost as if Young Link became Toon Link.

For instance, At first Young Link was getting all the hype being in some pretty recognizable LoZ games... But after a while, Young Link's design was changed (even in the GB games of old) and bore a more toonish look to the Young Link : Toon Link.

So yeah, I guess since they're one in the same, I guess being an alt-costume isn't too bad.

kazrisk

twitch.tv/kazrisk
NNID
kazrisk
I could see maybe Toon Link getting a Toon version of the Kokiri shield costume or something to make it call back to Ocarina of Time without changing him into Young Link, just like Link getting a Skyward color swap instead of full out becoming Skyward Link. Kokiri Toon Link would be legit.

Also, Minish Cap?

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
Maybe Young Link was always a lame character choice since Wind Waker > Majora's Mask & Ocarina Of Time?
Thank you for telling us which game you played first.

Anyways, I think Toon Link should be who he is. TOON Link.
Also poll feels limited and biased.

Last edited:

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Thank you for telling us which game you played first.

Anyways, I think Toon Link should be who he is. TOON Link.
Also poll feels limited and biased.
Sorry to burst your bubble but...I played Ocarina and decided I hated the Zelda series, I played WW and now I love most of the games.

kazrisk

twitch.tv/kazrisk
NNID
kazrisk
Sorry to burst your bubble but...I played Ocarina and decided I hated the Zelda series, I played WW and now I love most of the games.
Weird I thought they complimented each other so well.

And once again, with the whole Toon Link should be Toon Link... once again the name of the character doesn't limit alternate costume possibilities. Unless you are speaking about pure personal preference, in which case I just don't share that preference.

Burigu

Smash Ace
I couldn't vote above this needs to be a voting option: "No, the two characters have different body proportions" altering either of them to include said skin wouldn't make justice to any Link. I find any character with a theorized alt based on a different height and weight completelly imposible. Like Olimar's alts being the new protagonist (palettes are another story like Peach with Daisy color), I don't see this alts happening or getting another "Lucina"

kazrisk

twitch.tv/kazrisk
NNID
kazrisk
I couldn't vote above this needs to be a voting option: "No, the two characters have different body proportions" altering either of them to include said skin wouldn't make justice to any Link. I find any character with a theorized alt based on a different height and weight completelly imposible. Like Olimar's alts being the new protagonist (palettes are another story like Peach with Daisy color), I don't see this alts happening or getting another "Lucina"
Well Link Between Worlds Link, as previously stated, is very similar in height and range to Toon Link. As for Olimar, yes Charlie and Alph are a little taller and shorter, but Brittany is almost the exact same height and would offer a female alternative to Olimar.

We may even get a Tetra alt costume for Toon Link since she is a pirate with a sword. I could see that.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Like Olimar's alts being the new protagonist (palettes are another story like Peach with Daisy color), I don't see this alts happening or getting another "Lucina"
Actually, I would not be using the newest Pikmin protagonist as an example.

Alph is approximately 1.6 centimeters in height, which equates to a Jeans button:
1.6 cm0.6 inchesDiameter of jeans button

Source:
http://pikmin.wikia.com/wiki/Alph
http://www.lnctips.com/woundsizing

Olimar is approximately 1.9 centimeters in height, which equates to a penny:
1.9 cm0.8 inchesPenny

Source:
http://pikmin.wikia.com/wiki/Olimar

The height difference between Alph and Olimar is practically non-existent to the point where it would not make any difference.

All the other protagonists? Yes, but Alph and Olimar would work.

Burigu

Smash Ace
Well Link Between Worlds Link, as previously stated, is very similar in height and range to Toon Link. As for Olimar, yes Charlie and Alph are a little taller and shorter, but Brittany is almost the exact same height and would offer a female alternative to Olimar.

We may even get a Tetra alt costume for Toon Link since she is a pirate with a sword. I could see that.
Mmmm Tiffany is not happening Sakurai always confirm palletes or costumes, Brittany was deconfirmed as a trophy, so I can almost say for sure Olimar is not getting this costume.

As for Tetra it would be odd for her to carry the Master Sword and a Hylian Shield, I am not saying it's imposible but it is out of character way to much, if you replace Master Sword with a more "pirate sword" and remove the shield then we have another Lucina scenario.

Actually, I would not be using the newest Pikmin protagonist as an example.

Alph is approximately 1.6 centimeters in height, which equates to a Jeans button:
1.6 cm0.6 inchesDiameter of jeans button

Source:
http://pikmin.wikia.com/wiki/Alph

Olimar is approximately 1.9 centimeters in height, which equates to a penny:
1.9 cm0.8 inchesPenny

Source:
http://pikmin.wikia.com/wiki/Olimar

The height difference between Alph and Olimar is practically non-existent to the point where it would not make any difference.

All the other protagonists? Yes, but Alph and Olimar would work.
Ok you are right on Alph, but I have seen people claiming for Loui, the president, Charlie and Brittany which aren´t that close to Olimar

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Ok you are right on Alph, but I have seen people claiming for Loui, the president, Charlie and Brittany which aren´t that close to Olimar
I agree with you about Young Link and Toon Link, they are not the same as Alph and Olimar. Toon Link and Young Link's proportions are too different to have the same hitboxes.

Edit: Out of all the Pikmin Protagonists Alph is the only one that can work as an alternate costume for Olimar, I agree there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom