• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Could Toon Link be... CUT?!?!?!

Will Toon Link be cut as a result of Wind Waker HD's poor sales in Japan???

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDivineDeity

Banned via Administration
So the Wind Waker HD for the Wii U sales are in... and they ain't looking good. Only 30,000 copies were sold in Japan. 30,000 copies. It didn't even rank that well against both the 3DS and Vita, and they're handhelds. Pokemon X and Y aren't even out yet. Basically Wind Waker HD bombed badly in the market and can be considered a financial failure. So, what does this mean for Toon Link in Smash?

Could this mean Toon Link will be cut from the SSB4 roster, as a result of extremely poor sales? :ohwell:

Think about it. I'm serious, just think about it for a second. This is a serious question. We all know SSB4 is purely a marketing game this time around, with all its character promoting launch titles or recent releases. Whether its Luigi or Olimar, Sakurai has almost always announced releases that promote upcoming games, in order to boost their sales and draw attention. Now that Wind Waker HD is a commerical failure in Japan, would Sakurai consider cutting Toon Link from the roster? Japan is Sakurai's most prioritized country, so having bad sales in Japan could be a death blow to Toon Link, because if a video game can't make it commercially, then what's the point? All I'm saying is that these poor sales make Toon Link look pretty bad, especially next to SSB4. Would Sakurai want to associate himself with commercial failures? (I know Earthbound is an exception, but I know I would scrap the series altogether as well...)

I know this has NEVER happened before, and maybe it never will. But... considering Toon Link is a clone/semi-clone of Link, he isn't exactly a character with priority. I mean those who says he is because he was recently released... don't forget Nintendo probably forced Sakurai to do it because of the need for a sales boost... and that failed. Like really badly. So...

Will Toon Link be cut as a result of extremely poor Japanese sales of the Wind Waker HD? What does everybody think? Love it? Hate it? Is Toon Link finished? Not finished? Tell me what you all think. :confused:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
No. Ike's games sold like **** in Japan, yet he made it in.

Also, remember that removing a character AFTER revealing is the epitome of fan disservice.

It's also a waste of time and effort they put in.

Bottom line, People want more playable characters; Sakurai isn't going to intentionally decrease it.

So lay your concerns at rest. :bee:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
No he won't be cut. Toon Link was planned for this game before Aunuma even thought about remaking Wind Waker. So Toon Link was always meant to come back whether or not this remake even existed. All it probably did was making him a higher priority character. Plus as Falkoopa said, removing him now after he was revealed would be a disservice to those who wanted Toon Link to come back. Plus removing him now would be a huge waste of time.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
You're asking if a character whom is already confirmed will be cut?

Do you dislike Toon Link that much?

Besides, it's MUCH too early to call WW HD a financial failure. It's been out for barely over a week!

Hank Hill

Smash Apprentice
Toon Link won't be cut at this point. He's already in the game and it would have been a waste of time as everybody else said. Pointless thread to be honest.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
WW HD hasn't been out very long.

Sakurai has already released several photos of Toon Link. He has never cut a character he's shown before release.

There would still be good amounts of butthurt if TL was cut, much more than if he was cut without any pics or footage of him being released.

It would be a bad decision, and it's not gonna happen.

D

Deleted member

Cutting him because of poor sales? No. That won't happen because:
1. As FalKoopa mentioned before, it would be a big disservice to the fans. There are people out there who absolutely love Toon Link and love to see his inclusion again.
2. Cutting him now would be a giant waste of time. Why bother removing a completed character? (unless time constraints are an issue...)
3. Poor sales now don't mean it will sell poorly over time. The Wii U is having poor sales overall right now, but I'm confident it will get better sales as time goes on.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
What Fal & Kikwi said.
I can't believe you're even questioning if he should be given the axe after being included in the first place.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Yeah, I agree with basically everyone here.

Not only has WWHD been out for just barely a week, but he is a confirmed character. There is no way in hell that he will be cut. Not only will that piss off fans, but it is supremely, 100% impossible since Sakurai already has him confirmed as a playable character.

D

Deleted member

...are you serious? You're really expecting them to cut a character they've already shown and added to the game? No they aren't. As the posters above have said, they've already programmed him back in, getting rid of him now would be a waste of time and effort. Honestly, looking at another thread, I think you're just trying to find excuses for him to be cut because you don't like him; he's in the game, that fact isn't going to change, get the hell over it.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Why would Toon Link be cut now that he was revealed already and the development team has spent resources to work on him? It would be fan disservice and a waste of time for the development team if he was cut at this phase of the game's development.

Seriously, anyone who thinks that any of the revealed characters could/should be cut has no idea of what is game development.

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
Holy **** guys Olimar is going to be cut because Pikmin 3's sales weren't great!!!

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
Poor sales? I did read on some gaming site that it bosted the Wii U sales by 685% and made the Wii U sell even more than the PS3 this week.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
So we already made this character, he's fully working, but since his game sold like ****, let's just throw the many hours, not to mention money, we've thrown into this character into the recycle bin!

This is a new level of stupidity, sorry to say.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Alright guys, there isn't really a need to post on this thread anymore, considering the one person who thought Toon Link could actually be cut at this point has been banned.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'll post this **** here cause this is a **** thread:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Tried to get people to stop posting on this thread, considering it made a stupid suggestion and the thread's starter has been super banned. Didn't work..

Why couldn't this pathetic thread just fall down into the depths of hell never to rise from the grave again?

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Tried to get people to stop posting on this thread, considering it made a stupid suggestion and the thread's starter has been super banned. Didn't work..

Why couldn't this pathetic thread just fall down into the depths of hell never to rise from the grave again?
may be because Toon Lnk isn't welcome in hell.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

Just request the thread to be locked as well as the other Toon Link butthurt threads.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom