• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Could Smash's mechanics/controls work in a traditional versus fighting game?

Davidk92

Smash Cadet
Inspired by a project I've been working on in my spare time.

Basically, could Smash's control schemes and mechanics (such as Shielding instead of blocking, the concept of A and B moves and directional inputs instead of qcfs etc) work in a more traditional fighting game, with smaller arenas, walls and health bars replacing the platform focused arenas and knockback/ring-out system Smash uses?

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
Traditional fighting games don't use tilts and taps like in Smash; even if you tilt the joystick lightly upward, it will result in a jump no matter what. Should tilt attacks be implemented, I think they would be better off as individual attack buttons rather than being direction-based. The same can go for Smash attacks as well. If there was a separate button for specials, however, then I guess the direction-based mechanic can be applied. Shielding isn't that big of an issue as it's pretty much blocking, but it would be much harder to get in on an opponent who can shield at will with their joystick in the forward position.

I don't think the idea is impossible, but I do think some changes need to be done with the control scheme.

Davidk92

Smash Cadet
Traditional fighting games don't use tilts and taps like in Smash

"Smash mechanics wouldn't work in traditional fighting games because traditional fighting games don't use Smash mechanics."

Sometimes I wonder why I bother.

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
User was warned for this post; trolling

"Smash mechanics wouldn't work in traditional fighting games because traditional fighting games don't use Smash mechanics."

Sometimes I wonder why I bother.
I don’t think you’ve ever used an arcade stick in your entire life.

Top Bottom